NVidia GeForce RTX 40x0 cards - x2 the power consumption, x2 the performance

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
No, seriously, the M1 Ultra is the most insane SOC ever produced and the current pinnacle of computer engineering expressed in silicon.

Literal case of "you might not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like."
Its impressive like Console performance is impressive.

Closed systems performance per transistor should always outperform open systems.

I like being able to do all my power flow analysis, gaming, and modding on my PC. Highly targeted specialization is for robots and insects. I like being a human, thank you very much.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've never purchased the top-tier card from any generation. Having almost always gone with whatever the '80 (980,1080, 3080, etc), but I'm 95% sure I'm going to buy a 4090.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've never purchased the top-tier card from any generation. Having almost always gone with whatever the '80 (980,1080, 3080, etc), but I'm 95% sure I'm going to buy a 4090.

Its the only one worth it , if you actually need that power. Gaming at 4k or other software. The others below it feel like they are just afterthoughts, named higher to charge more. Its fucking greedy as fuck, the inflated pricing and what they did with the 4080 and below, but I can at least give them credit for the power behind the 4090.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I wouldn’t because I don’t want to have to upsize my case and 3D print some crazy stand for it. The size is obscene. I haven’t ran into any game my 3700x & 3070 can’t handle so probably no upgrades for me unless I have a component die.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I wouldn’t because I don’t want to have to upsize my case and 3D print some crazy stand for it. The size is obscene. I haven’t ran into any game my 3700x & 3070 can’t handle so probably no upgrades for me unless I have a component die.
Im pretty much in the same thought process. Not only was I disgusted with the possible power draw, but the sheer size of that thing is monstrous and then trying to find a way to support it properly? Ill wait for next gen.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
It's got 3 slot brackets, it'll support itself just fine.
Just because you screw something on one side does not mean the other is somehow supported. Especially with a 2-3 ft length or howerver long this fucking thing is. Go and screw a 2 ft board to your wall on one end and put some shit on it and see how long it all stays there on that diving board.

spronk

FPS noob

my biggest concerns would be

(1) in 1-2 years the size/heat would show up in problems that aren't obvious now, like warping, thermal paste issues, etc. This card is far beyond what we've seen in the past in pushing the envelope.

(2) i would feel retarded if a 4070ti that is fairly close in performance and half the size/TDP comes out in a year for much cheaper. I can't think of anything I am going to play in the next 12 months that needs this performance, but then again i'm more enjoying my steam deck which is lower than a 1080. Vampire Survivors or N64 games don't need a 4090.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Same here. I love my case and I really don’t want to get a bigger one for a new gpu. I would if I was two or three generations behind but I’m running a Ryzen 5900 with a 3090 and every game I play run flawlessly with highest settings at 1440p.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Im getting an FE if possible on release - if not microcenter will have ample cards. That aside the 6900XT being down to $630 was a crazy deal at MC.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I'll probably wait for the Water blocks on the 4090.. have my 3080 already water cooled and it seems that the 4090's actual PCB is about the same size. Just the problem is all the heat the fucking thing has too get rid of cause it can pull a whole power supply, by its self..

And also I would wait for the ATX 3.0 supply's coming out, that squid dongle seems like problems just waiting too happen..

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'll wait for a good game to come out, lol.

Also for good PCIE 5.0 SSDs to come out, the first batch looks pretty lame.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'll probably wait for the Water blocks on the 4090.. have my 3080 already water cooled and it seems that the 4090's actual PCB is about the same size. Just the problem is all the heat the fucking thing has too get rid of cause it can pull a whole power supply, by its self..

And also I would wait for the ATX 3.0 supply's coming out, that squid dongle seems like problems just waiting too happen..
This is how I feel on both points. I look at the thing and it makes a great case for just water cooling your video card. Having done my own custom loop I feel like you don't really need it for CPU's as much these days (though delidding new Ryzen chips seems like a great idea) but it makes a huge difference on GPU's.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
It's got 3 slot brackets, it'll support itself just fine.
1665373040465.png

strix haves no 3rd slot bracket
1665372891988.png

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

EVGA psu’s have an available direct 12 pin cable

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user