NVidia GeForce RTX 40x0 cards - x2 the power consumption, x2 the performance

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Power-throttled to what though? You're power throttling to the same wattage as a 4080 and beating its performance by 30%? Same VRAM and everything? I'd like to see the math on that one.
Yes, if you choke the power on a 4090 to the rated TDP of a 4080 you will still get ~30% more performance. My point is that the 4090 is 30% more money for >60% more CUDA cores, that's fucking huge. 16128 vs 9728.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yes, if you choke the power on a 4090 to the rated TDP of a 4080 you will still get ~30% more performance.
Have the math? I'm not saying I don't believe you, I just need to see it.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Has 13900k and 4090 and plays no games....

but when i see a game to play i'll be so prepared..

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Have the math? I'm not saying I don't believe you, I just need to see it.
Considering the 4080 isn't actually out yet, no, but it's pretty obvious from what we've already seen out of testing the 4090 with a 60% power limit, and then comparing to a 3080 ti which has more CUDA cores than a 4080.

I think the 4080 is going to be an absolute dud of a card for the price they're asking.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Has 13900k and 4090 and plays no games....

but when i see a game to play i'll be so prepared..
I just put together a 7700x 4090 system to get on the new socket (had originally purchased 13600k, but decided to take advantage of a sweet mobo/ddr5/cpu deal and wait for 7800x3d next spring).

Kind of in same boat, though Plague Tale, new COD, and CP2077 look absolutely unreal with everything turned on. Just need a good ATX 3.0 PSU to come out and I'll feel set for awhile. .

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
the funniest thing would be the Corsair guy who blasted GN and Guru3D about that adapter and forced the company to make a public apology, to tweet something like "seems like the adapter aint that smart after all"

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

gak

<Gold Donor>
m3.jpg

• 8Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Eh, that doesn't make any sense though. The pin part of the adapter is melting, not the cable part.

The part that's going to melt is going to be the part where the resistance happens. If there's a break at the end of the pin and it has to build up energy to overcome a gap, that's where the heat is going to be.

Dumbed down explanation but that's my understanding of EE.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Those small ass pins along with the small ass gauge on those wires is jut not suited for so much wattage running through it. Maybe it did in the 100w-150w days but these cards pushing 500w+ is insane on small ass connector pins like that. Shit my kids car stereo that we installed this summer was a 500W amp (which is peak power btw) had a 10 gauge power wire with a copper 10mm crimped connector on it to run it. Maybe the 10 gauge was overkill for the amp but you have to think of the distance too which is about 8 feet from the battery to trunk. Either way I just dont think these small ass connector pins and the tiny wires are enough to push the wattage through them these new 4090 monsters draw. They need to think about a new standard which utilizes better connectors suited for the amount of wattage these things draw now.

The resistance IS the fucking small ass wires and pins. Bigger the wire and plug the less resistance. At least its how I understand it. Ever tried to run a space heater or some other really high wattage appliance at home with a small ass extension cord? shit gets hot really fucking fast. This is why they have amperage ratings on cords and such. And the below is for copper, do they even use coppper wires in PSUs?

1667006146706.png

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

spronk

FPS noob
wish i had a microcenter near me, nice deal 79xx CPU + 32gb memory + mobo for like $500 total

newegg also has this mini lian tower with 750W psu (small FF so no 4090s lol) for $170

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
newegg also has this mini lian tower with 750W psu (small FF so no 4090s lol) for $170
incorrect, sir!

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Shoved my old system into a Torrent Compact to send to best friend - 12900k and 3090Ti, i couldnt stomach selling it for less than 50% of its original cost so it was better to give it away.

Still havent used my 4090, will give this rig to gf when the X3D comes out next year and i go full AMD.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fadaar

That guy
Those small ass pins along with the small ass gauge on those wires is jut not suited for so much wattage running through it. Maybe it did in the 100w-150w days but these cards pushing 500w+ is insane on small ass connector pins like that. Shit my kids car stereo that we installed this summer was a 500W amp (which is peak power btw) had a 10 gauge power wire with a copper 10mm crimped connector on it to run it. Maybe the 10 gauge was overkill for the amp but you have to think of the distance too which is about 8 feet from the battery to trunk. Either way I just dont think these small ass connector pins and the tiny wires are enough to push the wattage through them these new 4090 monsters draw. They need to think about a new standard which utilizes better connectors suited for the amount of wattage these things draw now.

The resistance IS the fucking small ass wires and pins. Bigger the wire and plug the less resistance. At least its how I understand it. Ever tried to run a space heater or some other really high wattage appliance at home with a small ass extension cord? shit gets hot really fucking fast. This is why they have amperage ratings on cords and such. And the below is for copper, do they even use coppper wires in PSUs?

View attachment 440329

yeah I work on aircraft and have had to do mods to upsize wiring because engineers had a derp moment. usually going from 22 to 20.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

View attachment 440329
Which pins are you referring to? The top 4 pins are just for sideband signaling for the ATX 3.0 PSUs.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Which pins are you referring to? The top 4 pins are just for sideband signaling for the ATX 3.0 PSUs.
Well one of those pins obviously is the power, right? And even if you split that 500w into 3 connectors its still 160+ watts each on a 20 or 22 AWG wire.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
There is 2 ways to get around this problem, use bigger connectors and bigger wire or convert the 12v current design of the cards to 24v which will halve the amps the wire and connector carries.

• 120 Watts @ 12V = 12 Amps
  • 120 Watts @ 24V = 6 Amps
  • 120 Watts @ 120V = 1 Amp
All the charts im reading say you need at least a 14-10 AWG wire for 150W @ 12v Its kinda sketchy because they use shit like 15m length, where the computer obv does not need that length, but still this goes to show that those wires and 1mm pin connectors are just way too fucking small for the wattage required.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Well one of those pins obviously is the power, right? And even if you split that 500w into 3 connectors its still 160+ watts each on a 20 or 22 AWG wire.

So 6 of the 12 main pins are 12v. So for a 600w adapter (the max possible under this new spec) that's 100w per pin, though most of these are supposed to be 450w adapters so 75w per pin.

1667101244778.png