NVidia GeForce RTX 40x0 cards - x2 the power consumption, x2 the performance

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
1667783024179.jpeg

• 10Worf
Reactions: 9 users

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
It can be done, but it's a huge waste of PCB space or you're running some terrible wires from a hanging plug to the main pcb under the cooler.

Waste of PCB space.

1668045496820.png

Or this awful 3090 design.

1668045605350.png

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I find it amusing that I insisted that the cards power chord be where EVGA put it on their version, and people here said it couldnt/shouldnt be done.
Well bro maybe that’s the true reason they cancelled it. They put the power cable in your suggested spot and it failed and caught on fire all the time. Ever think of that??

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Well bro maybe that’s the true reason they cancelled it. They put the power cable in your suggested spot and it failed and caught on fire all the time. Ever think of that??
It's possible.

• 1Worf

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You could be on to something here! Maybe EVGA found the exact reason why the connectors are burning up, brought it up to Nvidia, demanded a fix and Nvidia told them its.... ALIENS!?! Or to eat shit. One or the other.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Should just call this "outofstock.com"

I would buy a 4090 FE right now if they were available for MSRP. Not fucking paying gouge prices on top of Nvidia's gouge price. Not that concerned about the wiring issues, seems to be a minor issue with just a few cards.

And 3090's are still to overpriced.

May just say fuck it all and play console games from now on. My couch is compfy and games look glorious on a big 4k tv.

• 1Like

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Gigabyte AORUS FO48U is on for 799$ right now, 48" OLED panel, 3 yr warranty. I've got one on back order, hopefully its not too crazy for my desk but I can easily be 80+cm from it so I'm hoping it's fine.

Now I just need a 7900xtx or a 4080 to drive it.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Gigabyte AORUS FO48U is on for 799$ right now, 48" OLED panel, 3 yr warranty. I've got one on back order, hopefully its not too crazy for my desk but I can easily be 80+cm from it so I'm hoping it's fine.

Now I just need a 7900xtx or a 4080 to drive it.
I got one of these sitting behind me in the box right now and supposedly its the LG C1 panel. My office/desk set up is just not prepared for a 48" screen right now; I am having to do a reorg/clean up to shuffle cases around to fit a OL11 EVO build I just had done at MicroCenter for my 3080 because my hands can't do computer builds anymore. My desk with 2 consoles plus mini ITX plus the house 24 port switch barely fits the 43"; the 48 no way.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

This card is way better than I expected, though I think for the relatively small price difference I'd rather just undervolt a 4090.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
If the 4080 was $600-800 it would be ok, at $1200 its a joke considering the 4090 is $1599

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Stop paying gouger prices and let them bleed until they learn. But too many dumb bastards will lap that shit up premium included.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Cinge

Vyemm Raider
I liked this one, and basically my conclusions and opinions. Nvidia at the top end just needs more competition. And unless you NEED(or want to brag about) that kind of hardware and have all the supporting hardware(not cpu bound), there is just no reason to buy such expensive pieces of hardware. The vast majority do not need it and just buying a old 3080 or seeing what AMD can do for that price range, will leave you much better off price/performance wise. I just see no point to the 4080 when the 4090 is right there for $400 more. MOre future proofing if you want that and if you need either of these cards you are probably running 4k, so you might as well get the better one(as money is obviously not an issue).

I also feel personally, why design a GPU line that leaves a huge gap on purpose, just to bring in a TI version later. Feels kind of self defeating. "We are going to have this Version this low so we can bring in a version later that is between the top and this one". Instead of just making the gap closer.

Like he says in the video, we need the GPU market to be like the CPU market.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I liked this one, and basically my conclusions and opinions. Nvidia at the top end just needs more competition. And unless you NEED(or want to brag about) that kind of hardware and have all the supporting hardware(not cpu bound), there is just no reason to buy such expensive pieces of hardware. The vast majority do not need it and just buying a old 3080 or seeing what AMD can do for that price range, will leave you much better off price/performance wise. I just see no point to the 4080 when the 4090 is right there for $400 more. MOre future proofing if you want that and if you need either of these cards you are probably running 4k, so you might as well get the better one(as money is obviously not an issue).

I also feel personally, why design a GPU line that leaves a huge gap on purpose, just to bring in a TI version later. Feels kind of self defeating. "We are going to have this Version this low so we can bring in a version later that is between the top and this one". Instead of just making the gap closer.

Like he says in the video, we need the GPU market to be like the CPU market.

Steve's review is missing the fact that average power consumption during gaming is actually incredibly efficient, which is why I didn't link it.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

This card is way better than I expected, though I think for the relatively small price difference I'd rather just undervolt a 4090.
Not sure if linus making soy faces or that mountain troll on their thumbnails is worse.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users