NVIDIA Shield

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Does anyone have one? I've been thinking of getting something for gaming when I travel for work, and wondering if these are worth looking at. How hard is it to run emulators on these? I have a lot of NES/Genesis/SNES ROMS that I would love to have on something like this. If it's feasible/easy to run those, I will probably get this right away.

I have no experience with Android at all, are there any solid games that were actually designed for this yet?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I searched for a thread on this, and I'm amused I found an 8 year old thread with no replies, so I'm going to necro the fuck out of it.

I'm thinking about getting a shield because the LG C1 os annoys me. I'll probably stream the normal stuff with it, and I'm thinking about using it to play emulator stuff. I know it has it's own controller, but does it have bluetooth that would let you use other controllers as well? How good is it for emulators?

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I searched for a thread on this, and I'm amused I found an 8 year old thread with no replies, so I'm going to necro the fuck out of it.

I'm thinking about getting a shield because the LG C1 os annoys me. I'll probably stream the normal stuff with it, and I'm thinking about using it to play emulator stuff. I know it has it's own controller, but does it have bluetooth that would let you use other controllers as well? How good is it for emulators?

I have a shield pro hooked up to my CX. Yes, you can use bluetooth controllers. I haven't used it for any emulators myself, but it looks like there is plenty of support at first glance.

One frustrating thing about it interacting with my CX is the HDMI CEC doesn't seem to work as well as it did on my old TCL. The shield remote can't control the TV volume and if I use it to turn the shield on when it wasn't the last device I used, the TV will turn on, briefly show the shield, then change inputs to the last device I used. If I use the TV remote to turn it on, it wakes the last device used and I have to change to the shield and shut down the device that the TV woke up.

A recent update to android TV also introduced fucking ads on the home screen. This is all on Google, not Nvidia though. You'll need a custom launcher if you want to get rid of them.

Overall it's a great device though.

• 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I have a shield pro hooked up to my CX. Yes, you can use bluetooth controllers. I haven't used it for any emulators myself, but it looks like there is plenty of support at first glance.

One frustrating thing about it interacting with my CX is the HDMI CEC doesn't seem to work as well as it did on my old TCL. The shield remote can't control the TV volume and if I use it to turn the shield on when it wasn't the last device I used, the TV will turn on, briefly show the shield, then change inputs to the last device I used. If I use the TV remote to turn it on, it wakes the last device used and I have to change to the shield and shut down the device that the TV woke up.

A recent update to android TV also introduced fucking ads on the home screen. This is all on Google, not Nvidia though. You'll need a custom launcher if you want to get rid of them.

Overall it's a great device though.
How is the upscaling to 4K? (8K?) Plexing it atm from a friends server, who services me with 1080p (peepee, hah)

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
How is the upscaling to 4K? (8K?) Plexing it atm from a friends server, who services me with 1080p (peepee, hah)

Most of the stuff on my Plex server is in 1080p and I have no complaints about the upscaling.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

It works great for emulators. This thread was actually about the original Shield which was a handheld console / PC streaming device, similar to the new Steam handheld. I used it a lot for travel for gaming and movies.

I do have the new nvidia shield pro with a Plex server running on it, the upscaling is good. I need to set emulators up on it but haven’t yet, we use a Raspberry Pi for that now and it works so haven’t been motivated to stick it on the new shield yet.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I run Retroarch on my Shield TV Pro but I have only played SNES games with it.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Initial reaction, I can't watch youtube on the Shield because it doesn't have an option for playback speed (the tv app version does, but no other streaming thing I've seen does) and who watches youtube at 1x?!

Upscaling on Netflix seems to be better on the Shield, so that's an improvement I guess.

I'll have to look into how do setup emulators on it, probably next weekend project.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I have 4 shields and love them. Recently though Google pushed an update that put ads on the home page for shows that aren't family friendly so I had to change launchers to get rid of them but that was easy enough.

I use RetroArch on them and it's pretty responsive. Have had a lot of fun playing Mario Cart from N64 with my 6 year old.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Checked out a friend Shield, and its something I want. However.....

I feel I am late to the party, and there is no way Im paying the full price for the 2019 model when they have a history of releasing a new version every other year.

Waiting for the 2022-2023 model or a serious price cut (40% or more) on the current one.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Checked out a friend Shield, and its something I want. However.....

I feel I am late to the party, and there is no way Im paying the full price for the 2019 model when they have a history of releasing a new version every other year.

Waiting for the 2022-2023 model or a serious price cut (40% or more) on the current one.

One thing Nvidia has done very well is long term support for even the old models. Given the chip shortages, I would not expect a new model soon. Can't argue against waiting for a deal though.

• 1Like

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
If I understand it correctly, they have stopped making the chip (something about it being the same that Nintendo used in something). If thats the case, I would claim its evidence for something new comming soon.

But yeah, they do support their older models well. I think the 2015, 2017 and the 2019 models are all supported still? But paying full price ( around $290 here ) is not something I want to do, especially with the bloody ads issue, which is on Google, but still.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
$290? Holy fuck. I think I paid $180 for it.

The ads can be fixed with a custom launcher, I just haven't gotten around to it. They also added the ability to customize them somewhat by asking you what you like. At least it's no longer telling me to watch Sex and the City.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
$290? Holy fuck. I think I paid $180

Yeah, the joy of living in a country with a 25% VAT, plus a special tax on harddrives and USB-sticks ( you will use them to copy music and stuff you criminal mastermind you! Proof that you have "pirated" anything? We dont need proof to tax you for it! ). So anything that can store data is double taxed :D

Sorry for the derail.

• 3WTF
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 3 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, the joy of living in a country with a 25% VAT, plus a special tax on harddrives and USB-sticks ( you will use them to copy music and stuff you criminal mastermind you! Proof that you have "pirated" anything? We dont need proof to tax you for it! ). So anything that can store data is double taxed :D

Sorry for the derail.

Well, just remember that US prices are listed before local sales tax, which in my case is 7%

An extra tax on hard drives and USB sticks is just silly.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Well, just remember that US prices are listed before local sales tax, which in my case is 7%

An extra tax on hard drives and USB sticks is just silly.
Oh, forgot the "green" tax on electronics ( seems that electronics contain dangerous chemicals that makes recycling harder ), that is also on top of the other taxes.

Welcome to our green/leftist society :)

• 1EyeRoll

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
My complaint about youtube not having the option to change speed on the Shield has been fixed, I can now watch at 2x.

Emulators run really well on the shield on my C1, even N64 which always ran like shit on my Raspberry Pi on one of the roku tv's. Felt like 0 input lag, which was definitely a problem on the pi, even on lesser consoles like SNES.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
I use the shield for IPTV and emulation, best purchase I’ve made. Cable and time Warner can fuck itself forever.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I use the shield for IPTV and emulation, best purchase I’ve made. Cable and time Warner can fuck itself forever.

What IPTV and emulators do yall use. I used to muck about with KODI, but keeping it updated was far too tedious when we still had cable.