NYE and Uber

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
it doesn't matter if they have good or bad insurance, you're fucked either way. Why? not even 1% of people who get in a cab ever use their seatbelts, so if you're in an accident you're fucked. Very unscientific stats from my father in law who is a ny cabbie for 30+ years and has seen maybe 500 ppl putting on the seatbelt, ever with more than half of them being the front seat passenger.

Silence_sl

shitlord
I don't know about Uber drivers, but taxi drivers in general only got that job because they couldn't become child molesters.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I just don't like ubers policies, they were not allowed to operate in Portland but they said Fuck you and started operating illegally, forcing the government to slap together regulation for them.
99% of the time its due to the taxi industry.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I never take a taxi, but I got stuck in Seattle last summer from 9am to 11pm for a flight. I got a taxi and told him to take me to a really good steak house.......you guessed it. Dropped me off at Dennys.

Went back to the airport and rented a car and went out to Mt. Ranier for the rest of the day.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
So people know the price up front and still use the service then bitch they were gouged? Don't use the service then. It's like fucking rocket surgery with some people. lol
People type in 4.00 to show that they understand they'll pay 4x the rate. But then they bitch that a ride that usually costs them $20 ended up costing $80. The multiplier probably just feels very abstract and people don't actually do the calculation, then are surprised by the high total cost. Add to this that many people order Uber when drunk and don't realize how much they spent until the next day...

That Sydney incident was pretty fucked up though. I'll definitely concede that point.
Surge pricing is automated, for obvious reasons. What the algorithm presumably responded to was no cars in the area and a lot of people requesting cars from there --> surge pricing. It's only fucked up if you ignore the driver, who has to drive into a potentially dangerous situation to pick someone up. I'm guessing they couldn't find taxis either...

One thing to keep in mind is that surge pricing is great for drivers. I've talked to a few who said they ended up driving for Uber on New Year's eve due to the high surge prices. Turns out, regular people would rather be out drinking with their friends than driving around drunk people. So if you want cars on the street, you have to pay drivers more. Hence, surge pricing.