Obstacle Course Racing (Spartan, Tough Mudder, etc)

Bane_sl

shitlord
So I'm running the Spartan Beast World Championships this weekend in Killington, VT. 10-12+ Mile self supported race. Was originally going to do just the Sprint (3 Miles) but I did one back in August so I figured why not. Anyone else doing this Saturday?

If anyone is considering it at the last second, there's a free entry code 'eboost2013' that you can use to get in.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I'm proud to have participated in the only Tough Mudder where someone died.

My biggest beef with these races is how expensive they are. I really don't see the need to charge as much as they do.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm proud to have participated in the only Tough Mudder where someone died.

My biggest beef with these races is how expensive they are. I really don't see the need to charge as much as they do.
Bunch of people from my work are going to the Tough Mudder in Tahoe. I thought it sounded like a good time, but that was before they said it was like $130 per person. That's retarded.

Bane_sl

shitlord
The events are super costly to put on. The Spartan Series gives out free races if you give them a few hours the day before/after a race. I've volunteered a couple times with them and all my races for 2014 are paid for now. TM does similar but they're a bit more strict.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I've spectated 4 tough mudders in Vermont at Mt. Snow. I'll tell you what, after watching it I have no desire to ever do one.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I've done one Tough Mudder and am signed up again to do the Seattle area one this October. I had a blast the first time I did it. It was challenging but it reminded me a lot of running around in the woods as a kid.

They are spendy, but TM supports the Wounded Warrior project (over $5 million raised so far). I don't mind the hefty entrance fee when a nice chunk of change is supporting that. When I did my leg there was a Wounded Warrior team also starting during our start time. The team was made up entirely of disabled vets (most were missing limbs) and it was really moving to run the course along side those guys. Not only did it give us a chance to show our appreciating to them, but they were just as appreciative to us for participating in the TM and supporting Wounded Warrior. That experience made the entry fee a non-factor for me.

Citz

Silver Squire
It's expensive but not too far from the norm compared to triathlons or demi-marathons/marathons. I'm inclined to think that the logistic of the obstacle races to be more demanding.

I've done the Tough Mudder and Spartan Race (a few sprints and a super). I'm planning to do the Beast next year in Canada. I find the Spartan Race to be much more challenging but the Tough Mudder more "fun" and easier overall.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
All these races are a bunch of overhyped, overmarketed bullshit.

Wanna challenge yourself? Read a book you fucking mongoloids.

Bane_sl

shitlord
All these races are a bunch of overhyped, overmarketed bullshit.

Wanna challenge yourself? Read a book you fucking mongoloids.
After doing what I did on Saturday, there is nothing overhyped about it. It was the most intense and psychologically and physically demanding thing I have ever done in my life. 14.2 miles up and down that fucking mountain. 35,000 steps, 8000+ feet of elevation change and cramps I have never felt in my life. Your book doesn't have shit on that.

DeadAgain!?_sl

shitlord
I did one Tough Mudder so far and it was a fucking blast. Though jumping in freezing cold water after running 6 miles was a nice introduction to what shock feels like.

Insomnia_sl

shitlord
I checked out the Tough Mudder last year in Ohio, seems like these things picked up alot of steam with the boom in popularity with things like MMA and Ninja Warrior.