Odyssey, A Blizzard Entertainment Project

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Looks as though some devs, journalists etc. are speaking out about their experience with how this game plays. Unsure if its called Odyssey, or if they are just sticking with the name. Stylized Graphics in a survival game that is open shared world with pve/pvp, dungeons, raids etc. Lots of news, journalists and creators have been talking about it for the last few days - so Im expecting that all of this is a build up to a big drop soon.

I like Force Gaming as he does a pretty good job of getting to the point.

• 3Like
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

Interesting to be sure. I’ll be curious how “massive” the servers are, though, in terms of simultaneous players. At a certain point you have to cap that in a resource gathering driven game, otherwise you get Rust where the island is a stripped bare wasteland a month later

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Wasn't New World supposed to be a survival game as well until they realized it sucked balls and changed it to a more traditional MMORPG design?

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Cybsled

Yes, although they had more of a forced PvP sandbox Rust model originally

I suspect Blizzard’s game is going to be more similar to Fallout76 in terms of PvPvE than Rust or Ark: PvP will be tightly controlled/opt in, there will be shared PvE content, and no offline base raiding

Offline base raiding is fucking dumb anyways - it just rewards people in different time zones or people not in work/school.

Daidraco

There is no telling how theyre going to handle building, where you can build, what you can build etc. Or, how they'll handle PVP in general, where you can PVP, etc. Im almost positive they'll have baked out any pressure point that would make you want to quit the game, though. I know its popular to hate on Blizzard, but theyre batting pretty damn spot on when it comes to releasing products that do well. As much as I love Valheim, Ark, Conan, etc. Im ready to see what Blizzard has gathered from all those other IP's and see what their culmination of it all is.

Just saw another Youtube video of this game get released. They have to be paying for these shills cause it just doesnt make sense to pick a vague product and everyone talk about it at the same time without a big press release coming.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Just saw another Youtube video of this game get released. They have to be paying for these shills cause it just doesnt make sense to pick a vague product and everyone talk about it at the same time without a big press release coming.
Could be, but content creators are generally starved for anything interesting to talk about so it wouldn't be that surprising if they just organically pounce on anything mildly interesting just for the clicks

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
If they use the 50 man server blueprint shit they can shove the game entirely up their ass. Although both games failed, at least Atlas and Last Oasis tried to innovate on the genre with their server/world setup. I'd like to see Blizzard put a similar spin like those two while giving it their typical polish.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Oh yay...more survival crap. I get that its easy to make versus actual content but good lord I am sick of this bilge.

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm tired of these survival games getting lumped in with mmo's.

• 4Like

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Once Valheim came out, I didn't need any other Survival games. To me, it was the final evolution but it's unfortunate their development cycle just went completely off the rails. It seems to be much better now since they're already teasing Ashlands pretty heavily in addition to pretty regular patches so maybe that was COVID's fault or the fact they couldn't keep up with growth.

There's several other decent options for survivor type games outside of Valheim so I'm not sure why Blizzard wants to fool with this project. Maybe they have a piece to survival that will take it to the next level but by the time it comes out, I don't think anyone will care.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Once Valheim came out, I didn't need any other Survival games. To me, it was the final evolution but it's unfortunate their development cycle just went completely off the rails. It seems to be much better now since they're already teasing Ashlands pretty heavily in addition to pretty regular patches so maybe that was COVID's fault or the fact they couldn't keep up with growth.

There's several other decent options for survivor type games outside of Valheim so I'm not sure why Blizzard wants to fool with this project. Maybe they have a piece to survival that will take it to the next level but by the time it comes out, I don't think anyone will care.
Decent options is all there really is. Conan Exiles, Ark, either of those are fantastic titles. But one wouldnt say that they are refined by any means. Every single game thats a survival game that Ive played has been some jhanky ass unfinished shit. Only after the titles have been out for half a decade do the resemble some form of a complete game. Its been the perfect hive of indie companies because they can get away with less than they normally would by releasing in "alpha" and like Valheim has displayed - take their sweet ass time with updates.

If you need more evidence for why Blizzard Activision would want to get in on this - Minecraft has been playable since around 2009 with a retail launch in 2011. Its lowest year in profit was only 165 million in 2014, with its most profitable year in 2018 iirc at 500 million. The game overall has made an estimated 4 billion+ dollars since its release. Thats including is mobile counterpart, which has seen more success as the years pass on it as well.

Now take into account that anytime you have played these games and had the MOST fun - you were playing with someone else. Sons Of The Forest is the most recent survival game my g/f and I have purchased - it is in such a bare bones state that by myself, I already know the game would just be awful. But together, the game is actually fun and the jump scares are hilarious.

Now take Blizzard and refine that formula down to where you have a girth of content available at launch, (aint no alpha purchase BS here), and you have excellent multiplayer options (whatever they decide) to keep you active. Its a recipe for success and Im surprised this idea hasnt reached the boardroom far before 2023, or hell, 2020 for that matter.

Lastly - it sounds like Riots MMO is also going to have some "Survival" elements to it. Which probably lit the fire under those very same boardroom suits to begin with.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Valheim's combat annoyed me. Blocking seemed worse than just taking a hit and too much reliance on weeby style dodge rolls. I hate that eastern style active dodge with invulnerability. It is a lazy mindless mechanic. All that and the potato looking characters and I just couldn't deal with it.

Conan was good at various points in the long and storied history of the game. They had a good balance between the different weapon types and armour types for awhile. Heavy limited dodge and made climbing harder etc. Then they gave in to the whinging and just made them all the same, rendering light / medium useless.

Conan's building is barely usable out of the box. Any room more than like 5 blocks across starts to have severe stability problems because a roof piece that is sloped loses the same stability as a 50 ton foundation block.

All these bad lazy decisions are fixed with mods, but it makes it all a house of cards that comes crashing down (quite literally) every patch.

Empyrion is where I've had the most fun, but there's not much "game" to it. The building is fantastic, and it throws some crazy survival scenarios at you. Sadly those scenarios usually arise because of bugs. It is probably an 8/10 on the jank factor, but slowly improving.

The blizzard of the past could have made a great survival game just by taking what is out there and making it smooth and stable. Even at their peak they barely had any original ideas, but it hardly mattered. I don't know that they have the talent left, but we'll see.

• 4Like

Mur

Trakanon Raider
I was just thinking last night how much I'd like a RUST like game, but set in a high fantasy setting. Maybe not have wipes as frequently (or at all), and have more PvE content. Guilds making huge compounds raiding each other, racing and fighting over "raid" mobs, and grubs like me just trying to survive. I don't mind PvP, or losing everything I am carrying, as long as shit is easy enough to get like in RUST.

• 1Like

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I really liked Valheim a lot. It was a great game with a lot of potential to me.

I've always wondered why nobody has modded it to make the giants look like those in Attack On Titan because the mechanics of how it works with them attacking your settlement and all could easily be modded in to an Attack on Titan experience.

The only thing now is that when I go back and play Valheim today, I notice the low quality of the graphics. I wish the graphics were scaled up, but I have no idea what that would do for their game engine.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I think the graphics in Valheim were great. Stylized and fit the game perfect IMO.

• 1Like