Office Politics

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
In highschool I worked for a pizza place and upon graduation I was in the Army for 4 years. After getting out I worked in bars as security / bartender until I finally graduated this December with my degree in accounting at the tender age of 31. So basically I have never had a "big boy" job until now and would appreciate any help / advice that you office space mother fuckers have for me.

I am now a seasonal tax accountant with a decent sized firm which will be up in April. Although it hasn't been outright said, my chance of being offered a full time position rests on how well I do until April 15th. Now that you have a basic background, here are some questions I have.

Do you say hi / try to talk to admin/reception every day when you walk in the door?

What about when you pass people in the halls moving about your business?

We have weekly meetings and the person who "runs" them always asks if their are any questions / suggestions at the end? Since I am the new guy and basically don't know shit (thanks college), should I be seen and not heard?

We are allowed an hour lunch. Is it ok to actually take the full hour or does it look bad?

The dress code here is business casual with only one guy who wears a suit every day. Most wear a collared shirt, no tie, and slacks. I like dressing up when I go to work. Should I tone it down so I don't appear to be too much of a suck up? Mostly it is just a tie, but I have pulled out the vest, suspenders, jacket when I feel like it.

What is the proper protocol when approaching someone in their cube / office? Knock on the door/wall and wait? Is it ok to look over the cube to ask someone a question or get my fat ass up and walk around?

How important is it to go to drinks after hours? It is usually just us pions and not the partners and should I drink at all?

Case in point - Each customer has a customer number. When we work on shit that relates to them we input it into the software and "bill" them. The partners keep track of "billable hours" so the more you can actually bill, with reason, the better. I helped another accounting with some data entry work recently and he told me not to worry about billing them under my number because he would take care of it on his end. I new exactly what he was doing but as the new guy, they don't really bother to harp you about billable hours but at the same time I want to make a good impression to increase my chances of being hired on come April. If I was back in the military or at the bar I would just tell him to fuck off and bill them myself but in the office I have no idea. Is passive aggression really the best go-to when dealing with co-worker issues? I have no issue with conflict but the last thing I want to do is stir some shit as the new guy.

I am sure there is other things but I will leave it at that for now. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: Oh and what about coffee. When I use the last of one of the pots, I turn off the hot place, rinse it out, and put it back. Admin makes it but should I make a fresh one if I use it up or am I doing enough already by turning it off / rinsing it?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Do you say hi / try to talk to admin/reception every day when you walk in the door?

For both of these I think it's pretty much common courtesy to say "Hi". If you consistantly ignore people they're going to think you're an asshole. I hate small talk but I at least say "Hi" to anyone I see for the first time each day.

We have weekly meetings and the person who "runs" them always asks if their are any questions / suggestions at the end? Since I am the new guy and basically don't know shit (thanks college), should I be seen and not heard?

Asking questions is fine as long as they aren't stupid questions. No one likes being held in a meeting longer because someone asked a stupid question. If you can get the answer to your question by asking a colleague or manager 1-on-1 that is probably better.

We are allowed an hour lunch. Is it ok to actually take the full hour or does it look bad?

This depends on the office and managers. Look at how long other people are staying out. Just don't be the first to leave and last back and you'll be fine.

The dress code here is business casual with only one guy who wears a suit every day. Most wear a collared shirt, no tie, and slacks. I like dressing up when I go to work. Should I tone it down so I don't appear to be too much of a suck up? Mostly it is just a tie, but I have pulled out the vest, suspenders, jacket when I feel like it.

Going a little dressier than your colleagues is fine, but don't overdo it by wearing a full suit every day. You'll look like an overachieving ass. People in my office generally wear khakis/polos but like you I prefer to go a bit dressier, so I wear black slacks and button-down dress shirts.

What is the proper protocol when approaching someone in their cube / office? Knock on the door/wall and wait? Is it ok to look over the cube to ask someone a question or get my fat ass up and walk around?

I hate it when people try to peek over the cube (although ours are over 6 feet high so most can't do that) or just yell something. Treat cubes like mini offices and walk to them and do a quick knock on the wall if the person doesn't see you approach.

Ironically, as I was typing this a colleague yelled my name from across the cubicle area. Annoying.

How important is it to go to drinks after hours? It is usually just us pions and not the partners and should I drink at all?

It never hurts to have connections, even if only with colleagues. You never know when one of those colleagues will get promoted and be your new manager. That said, don't feel like you have to go out constantly. Just make appearances now and then and socialize a bit.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I say hi and bye to our receptionist every day, remake the coffee when I take the last cup, and say hello to people in the hallway unless they are not on their phone/reading something/looking at the ground because... I'm not an asshole. You aren't an asshole either so just be polite. Who cares about office politics when it comes to these things is my opinion.

Dress how you want according to dress code but be prepared for people (always women) who will make comments when you wear a suit or a tie out of the norm (especially when you are young and they feel like acting like your mom).

I personally never take an hour for lunch unless I go out somewhere but I don't think it matters. I am just a quick eater I guess.

I always knock at a cubicle unless they are facing you and see you walk up to them. I try to never go over a wall because I hated it when I was a cubicle.

I don't work in an industry with billable hours so I can't comment on that.

Be nice, don't be overbearing, don't be a know it all, and don't ignore people when they ask you questions that only you can answer. I understand people are busy but sometimes just acknowledging that you received an email and you need some time to answer it goes a long, long way.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I understand people are busy but sometimes just acknowledging that you received an email and you need some time to answer it goes a long, long way.
This is huge. Even if you say you won't do anything about it until tomorrow, people really appreciate it when you answer their email within an hour instead of six and telling them what they asked for is finished.

Someoneelse_sl

shitlord
I agree completely with the comments of knocking on the cubical, and asking if someone has a minute before jumping right into a conversation. Different situation here, but I'm a programmer, and just because I'm sitting here quiet with a blank look on my face doesn't mean I'm not thinking about something. People get annoyed when they get off their train of thought.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
This is huge. Even if you say you won't do anything about it until tomorrow, people really appreciate it when you answer their email within an hour instead of six and telling them what they asked for is finished.
Ya this, even if your reply is short and misspelled and seems to you like it is completely unhelpful. One of the most infuriating things about email is the guys who will never respond or respond really slowly, to the point where you wonder if they even got the email.

And ya say hi and shooting the shit with your managers helps, every company is different and every manager is different tho so it is hard to say how much it helps.

If the dress code is semi casual and people are mostly wearing colllared shirts and slacks you will look fine if you add a tie to that.. you will look like an ass if you add a suit jacket to that. Exceptions being if you are planning on working with any important clients that day.

Can't help on the more cut throat questions, that seems really company specific.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
So I just had someone from the office who was on maternity leave stop by for lunch to show off the new baby. Now I have never met this person but of course like 20 people came out to talk to her / see it. I walked up and introduced myself, made a joke about how I got all of her work covered and it was easy, (she is a high level CPA dealing with high profile clients and I am just the intern), and after a couple of minutes listening to others talk to her, I went back to my cube to work. Is that good enough or should I have hung around like the rest of the office for a good 20 or so minutes to socialize?

I am asking these things because I have been bartending so long that working in a nightclub and an office is about as night and day as it goes lol.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I would think that as long as you're not fucking half your co-workers and/or selling them cocaine, you're off to a decent start at adjusting to things.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
I would think that as long as you're not fucking half your co-workers and/or selling them cocaine, you're off to a decent start at adjusting to things.
rrr_img_15174.png

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
So I just had someone from the office who was on maternity leave stop by for lunch to show off the new baby. Now I have never met this person but of course like 20 people came out to talk to her / see it. I walked up and introduced myself, made a joke about how I got all of her work covered and it was easy, (she is a high level CPA dealing with high profile clients and I am just the intern), and after a couple of minutes listening to others talk to her, I went back to my cube to work.Is that good enough or should I have hung around like the rest of the office for a good 20 or so minutes to socialize?

I am asking these things because I have been bartending so long that working in a nightclub and an office is about as night and day as it goes lol.
Are you really asking a question like that? Do you have ass burgers or something? I understand asking about things specific to office environments (i.e meetings, cubicles, etc.) but the bolded question makes it sound like you have no experience with basic human interaction whatsoever.

Honestly, don't worry so much about it and just be polite and friendly with your colleagues, just like you'd be when meeting new people in any other area of your life.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
There really isn't much to it. Don't get involved in any gossiping and be polite to your coworkers. Take your hour lunches, those are required by law (at least here in CA). If the majority of your work is on a computer I wouldn't worry about wearing a tie, dress shirt and slacks is fine. If you don't want to be feel like an outcast, you should at least accept invites to after-work things once in a while, just don't be the guy that gets shit faced at a work party.

Bring in a box of doughnuts once in a while. Don't do it often enough to be the "doughnut guy," but small gestures like that can help coworker relations.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The primary initiation to any office environment is declaring your coffee scoop number.

Blide_sl

shitlord
Where I work currently, there are a few women that try to go out of their way to push the whole "work being a family" thing. Now I don't care about them being curious or showing concern, I have a problem when they try to make the office into something it's not. I don't feel that I should have to be interrogated about my personal life or subjected to unsolicited advice about things that they know nothing about and are frankly none of their business. One lady in particular claims to have "adopted" me and tries to give me "motherly" advice when she knows jackshit about me or my problems. To top it off, she's probably one of the most ignorant and clueless people I've ever met. She's one of those people that goes by intuition even when all the facts are against her.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It depends on your personality and preference. Personally I always greet people by their name. People like hearing their name and they're MUCH more likely to remember yours if you remember theirs. Ex if I pass by McCheese in the hallways I'll say "How's it going McCheese." in a very informal "I don't really want to talk to you, I'm just acknowledging your presence.". If I'm really casual with the person I'll just say "McCheese" as I pass them.

It's also preferential to only say this once or twice a day to each person, if you pass by them a lot only say it the first time you see them.

stfu and don't say shit. If you have a question as in you really want to know, talk to someone afterward. If you have a suggestion stfu you newb.
You're a tax preparer and it's tax season. Eat at your desk. But if you get invited out always take it when you're starting.
Dress around what the average is. Maybe slightly better.
If your office has a chat system (most places I've worked do) use that to say "got a second?" if not just walk in and ask them if they have a second, and if they look busy say you'll come back.
If you're able to socially drink and not make a fool of yourself it's a good idea to go out.
Is passive aggression really the best go-to when dealing with co-worker issues?
Don't pick a fight you newb, let him get your hours because you're paying your dues.

Here's some other tips:
1. Any time a new person enters a group of people there will ALWAYS be a certain % of people who will HATE them if that person comes off too strong and is too well received in the group. Those people always exist and they prevent you from being able to get accepted into the group with some kind of power play. There's always a certain % of people (Like me) who love it when new blood comes into the group and takes a strong position within it, but we are okay if you don't do that also.

2. Anytime I join a new job or just join a new group I look for a chance to prove myself by doing something really tedious, annoying, time consuming etc. One job I had that meant sorting thousands of resistors in a supply cabinet that were in a big clusterfuck pile. Another social group I was in a guy didn't like me at ALL until I dug a fucking ditch. I dug the shit out of that ditch and had to use a pick-axe and had blisters on my delicate programmer hands and shit. Once I dug that ditch the guy was cool with me because he knew I could work. At my current job we had an intern that people were ambivalent toward. We had to unload a truck full of dirt to make a test track for a teleoperated hoverround (dont' ask) and he went nuts unloading it like an animal. Ever since then everyone has liked him.

Now, being a tax preparer in tax season everyone is working their ass off so you can't really outshine them.

Also notice I didn't say that I looked for an opportunity to show how skilled/smart I am. Because nobody is smart when they start a job and if they try to show off people hate them. But if they work hard people respect them.

3. Humility and not coming off too strong is very important.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Don't over think it. It's not really any different than any other situation. Just don't be a dick and take your cues from your coworkers on things like lunch etc.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
3. Humility and not coming off too strong is very important.

Most important IMO. Dont be a douche bag, be humble, be nice, and dont be that nail that sticks out that constantly needs pounding.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We had to unload a truck full of dirt to make a test track for a teleoperated hoverround (dont' ask) and he went nuts unloading it like an animal. Ever since then everyone has liked him.
I have to admit, for some reason this really made me laugh. It's also 100% true.

As an intern I had a few people that really liked me and a lot of people that didn't give a shit about me or really disliked me. One day I cleaned the everloving fuck out of our rats nest of a lab. No one asked me, I didn't tell anyone.. I was just tired of it and did it. My boss and a few guys asked me if I did it so I said "Yeah, it was bothering me." and I instantly gained all of their respect.

The new guys make a lot of mistakes too. Just own up to them and be honest. There's an intern here now that makes mistakes but he always lies about them.. rather than taking the blame for his code being shitty or bricking a system he says he doesn't know what happened. No one likes him or respects him.

kaxfenix

N00b
Just use your people skills you learned from previous jobs and have some common courtesy.. You will be fine.. Every one else has already given you fantastic answers. Best of luck ..

Gadrel_sl

shitlord
I don't know how it is in accounting, but when I started in a law office as an associate the receptionists and paralegals knew way more than me about being a lawyer. I was nice to them and they showed me the ropes, hooked me up with templates / past files to use as guides, and generally made my life much easier. Another person hired after me did not last nearly as long: he was aloof to the "help," received none of the assistance from them that I did, and had a poor work product as a result.

The "little people" make an office work. If you aren't nice to them, you won't go anywhere.