Okay bros - Oil Prices & Energy Stocks - time to buy?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Automated sell positions? Still, the DJIA has dropped almost 2k points since June.
Not sure if you were asking me, but no, I don't have any automated sell positions. I'm index invested and still building up my bond exposure (only about 15% right now), so my portfolio is extremely volatile when the markets start freaking out. All I could think of when I saw things were down 700 points or whatever first thing this morning was "damn, I wish I had some cash laying around, shit's on sale!"

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
We service the power plant and petro chemical industry. This morning has been black Monday. We had whispers starting over the last few weeks about cancellations due to recent EPA changes that would affect the projects we were doing that were undertaken to meet the last set of new EPA regulations.

I guess with the market in a hold pattern a lot of others decideded it's time to wait and see. We had 3 years of projects we were booked up on cancelled this morning by noon. I guess they are spooked enough to just fork over the hefty cancellation fee.

I do find it interesting since this was an energy thread that coal has been hammered left and right to the point it's no longer profitable to mine it right now, but Soros is making a hefty play on coal stocks. Not sure where that is headed.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Not sure if you were asking me, but no, I don't have any automated sell positions. I'm index invested and still building up my bond exposure (only about 15% right now), so my portfolio is extremely volatile when the markets start freaking out. All I could think of when I saw things were down 700 points or whatever first thing this morning was "damn, I wish I had some cash laying around, shit's on sale!"
No I mean the Dow opening 1000 points down was possibly due to automated sell positions.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Its best not to log onto your brokerage today and look. Holy shit earnings destruction.

Strifen

Molten Core Raider
The Bloomberg commodity index is at a 16 year low.

Personally I'm glad to see tech stocks crashing down to reality (fb, aapl, goog, nflx).

Last couple years have been similar to how things were during the early 2000's dot.com bubble, tech stocks we're doing insanely well at the time and nobody wanted to touch anything commodity related. I've got my money on funds rotating out of the tech stocks and back into commodities cause right now nobody owns commodities and they are just so damn cheap.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Its best not to log onto your brokerage today and look. Holy shit earnings destruction.
I've got pretty good self control. The last week or two has seen about 100k wiped out on my accounts, but I haven't done a thing other than watch. And since all my trading accounts are with the same bank I do everything else with, it's pretty much impossible to not see it when I log in to check my Visa or whatever. I'll just take solace in the fact that having about 50-60% of my money invested outside of Canada (or in ETF's with holdings outside of Canada) has really taken a big chunk out of the downside for me, since the loonie declining props all that shit up. On the other hand, with the huge downturn in all commodities, I'm more than a little concerned that Canada is about to have a solid decade or more of shitty economic prospects because we're so commodity dependent.

Ah well, the last 15 years were a pretty good run. My company has enough work to keep the gravy train rolling until late 2016. I always joked about freedom 35, but that hits next year. What do you know about shotgun clauses?

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
I've got pretty good self control. The last week or two has seen about 100k wiped out on my accounts, but I haven't done a thing other than watch. And since all my trading accounts are with the same bank I do everything else with, it's pretty much impossible to not see it when I log in to check my Visa or whatever. I'll just take solace in the fact that having about 50-60% of my money invested outside of Canada (or in ETF's with holdings outside of Canada) has really taken a big chunk out of the downside for me, since the loonie declining props all that shit up. On the other hand, with the huge downturn in all commodities, I'm more than a little concerned that Canada is about to have a solid decade or more of shitty economic prospects because we're so commodity dependent.

Ah well, the last 15 years were a pretty good run. My company has enough work to keep the gravy train rolling until late 2016. I always joked about freedom 35, but that hits next year. What do you know about shotgun clauses?
In the long run losing 8-10% this year doesn't change the several years of 30%+ gains; it just sucks to see so much wiped out.
smile.png

Shotgun clauses are used to consolidate small businesses right? Like you offer to buy theirs at $10/share, and they have to either sell to you or buy yours at that price?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Fuck if I know! I probably should read our USA at some point. I was just jokingly alluding to shotgunning myself out of the business and leaving my brother holding the bag. But the reality is he'd track me down and murder me, so that's not really an option. I will continue to dream, though!

rrr_img_107410.jpg

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Fuck if I know! I probably should read our USA at some point. I was just jokingly alluding to shotgunning myself out of the business and leaving my brother holding the bag. But the reality is he'd track me down and murder me, so that's not really an option. I will continue to dream, though!
I mean depending on how much I'm willing to compromise on standard of living I could probably retire now. Given that I'm likely to live 50 more years it'd be pretty intense though. Rather than trying to actually retire at 35, I'd try to make it a goal to be financially independent and not reliant on any one particular source of income for your livelihood/retirement. So diversify your investments from ETF's into a small business or two, some real estate holdings, shit like that. So you're making money multiple ways and any of them could crater and you'd be fine.

Thats the Freedom 35, really. Nobody wants to actually totally not work for 50 years.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I'm trying to get out early. I have 2 days left at this job. I don't have kids so no grand kids to worry about so that helps.

I could piddle for the next 40 years and take an occasional break to go hunting or backpacking.

Oil was less than $40/brl today. Kind of a mental aspect of it won't break 40. Didn't help that Iran came out today and said they will ramp up production when sanctions are lifted regardless of what Opec says/wants.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Dad was fuming today, he told his broker to buy him 3k shares of arch coal at 50 cents but the broker couldn't because it was under a dollar.... today its up to 7. I said get a fucking td account and it also wont charge you 300 a trade.

Strifen

Molten Core Raider
Things are heating up between Yemen and Saudi Arabia. I think the market is starting to factor in some of the middle east risk again.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
These e&p execs should fund black ops to fuck up relations if they care about their shareholders