Old School MUD

Zarcath

Silver Squire
A while back ago Requiem had hosted a FOH MUD (was it legend of the red dragon?) and a few of us played on it. I recovered my Dragonrealms account a year back and actually paid for a month sub just to waste some time.

Something playable off my phone browser would be great.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Was LORD considered a MUD? Thought that was just a door game. Miss TW2002 sometimes. Could never get into MUDs, to me it was just the annoying game that always took up half or more of the 14 nodes on the BBS I frequented.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
I rejoinedDragonrealmslast year in March, and have been playing almost 24/7 since (scripting, mind you, but playing attentively a good bit as well).

the URL Icon used for Realms of Despair is taken from the OOOOOOOOOOOOLD Wizard client that was used for all the Play.net games back in the early/mid 90s... Gemstone, Dragonrealms, etc... does it run on that client? or did they just jack the icon for nostalgia?

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
I played Gemstone IV back in the day. Is it much different from Dragonrealms?

I remembered the Thief class was pretty sweet and classes like the Empath were pretty awesome, in theory.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I played some MUDs last year for a bit when I had downtime but didn't really want to load up a full game. I had a good time.

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
You'll be lacking content compared to MUDs that are already out there and wont hold anyone's attention for very long, unless its full of references from FoH/RR. If you're making it for yourself, its not a problem if people are not sticking around for long.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
I rejoinedDragonrealmslast year in March, and have been playing almost 24/7 since (scripting, mind you, but playing attentively a good bit as well).

the URL Icon used for Realms of Despair is taken from the OOOOOOOOOOOOLD Wizard client that was used for all the Play.net games back in the early/mid 90s... Gemstone, Dragonrealms, etc... does it run on that client? or did they just jack the icon for nostalgia?
Character names?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I used to be hot shit in Dragonrealms. I started when it was still on AOL about half a year before it went unlimited and played for like 3 years straight after that.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
SojournMUD and any Emlen based MUD were the shit back in the day.

Fucking Aardwolf was terrible, but I still played it a lot but never for a long time.

If you want to play a MUDish game that is old school that has it's own client, go google Revelations.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
Sir Funk - Dragonrealms is quite similar to Gemstone, which I played long ago as well... before I got to DR... Though I've played all of the classes, I always gravitated towards thief... I still play a thief in Dragonrealms (cir 120)... I should probably make other characters, but I don't... if only because my circle of friends tends to have all the support that I need, and I'm not interested in magic.

The game has evolved quite a bit (still going through major rewrites and changes), mostly for the better. The world is much bigger than it was even just a few years ago.

Harfle- PM sent with my character name. Be nice!

Wormie - I started back in the very beginning of the AOL days as well, back when they charged hourly (and we Phished for CC #s to afford that shit, before anyone knew what identify theft was, cause we'd get massive bills for being connected all day and night). I ran with a great crew of folks, most of whom were the highest level of their classes for a long time.

the problem with DR is that it hasn't adapted to the current generation of content and pay structures.. it's still $15/mo for a standard account, which is ridiculous for a text based MMO that you could run off of a USB drive. Premium is still $40/mo.

Simutronics was putting virtually 100% of their revenue into developing the Hero Engine, which was supposed to be used for Hero's Journey (Simu's 1st 3d MMO), but ended up being licensed out for SWTOR and other projects. I think that hero engine is like $75,000 per full license, or $99-$750 per year to use it via the Cloud, depending on how many people you have access it.

*EDIT* a major game company CEO friend of mine (who introduced me to DR on AOL in 1996) knows David Whatley, CEO at Simu, and says he rakes it in hand over fist... duh. Almost all of Simu's MMOs are still offered, though I don't know what the populations are like on anything but DR.

Meanwhile, Simu continues to develop their own 3d projects, which are pretty mediocre at best, and rely almost 100% on a volunteer based GM/programmer core of just a few people. This makes continued development a frustrating prospect, as GMs work on projects they choose based on their own interest (many guilds get left in the dust, or diluted by skill migration into other guidls)

All said, the game is still fun, has a great core population (and plenty new players at that), and is more compelling than many 3d MMOs and RPGs on the market. The population usually hovers around 275 players, with the expected fluctuations in both directions based on time and day. Unfortunately, many of the high level and historic player accounts have sold, and been consolidated by other high level historic players, so you end up with something of an oligarchy.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Sir Funk - Dragonrealms is quite similar to Gemstone, which I played long ago as well... before I got to DR... Though I've played all of the classes, I always gravitated towards thief... I still play a thief in Dragonrealms (cir 120)... I should probably make other characters, but I don't... if only because my circle of friends tends to have all the support that I need, and I'm not interested in magic.

The game has evolved quite a bit (still going through major rewrites and changes), mostly for the better. The world is much bigger than it was even just a few years ago.

Harfle- PM sent with my character name. Be nice!

Wormie - I started back in the very beginning of the AOL days as well, back when they charged hourly (and we Phished for CC #s to afford that shit, before anyone knew what identify theft was, cause we'd get massive bills for being connected all day and night). I ran with a great crew of folks, most of whom were the highest level of their classes for a long time.

the problem with DR is that it hasn't adapted to the current generation of content and pay structures.. it's still $15/mo for a standard account, which is ridiculous for a text based MMO that you could run off of a USB drive. Premium is still $40/mo.

Simutronics was putting virtually 100% of their revenue into developing the Hero Engine, which was supposed to be used for Hero's Journey (Simu's 1st 3d MMO), but ended up being licensed out for SWTOR and other projects. I think that hero engine is like $75,000 per full license, or $99-$750 per year to use it via the Cloud, depending on how many people you have access it.

*EDIT* a major game company CEO friend of mine (who introduced me to DR on AOL in 1996) knows David Whatley, CEO at Simu, and says he rakes it in hand over fist... duh. Almost all of Simu's MMOs are still offered, though I don't know what the populations are like on anything but DR.

Meanwhile, Simu continues to develop their own 3d projects, which are pretty mediocre at best, and rely almost 100% on a volunteer based GM/programmer core of just a few people. This makes continued development a frustrating prospect, as GMs work on projects they choose based on their own interest (many guilds get left in the dust, or diluted by skill migration into other guidls)

All said, the game is still fun, has a great core population (and plenty new players at that), and is more compelling than many 3d MMOs and RPGs on the market. The population usually hovers around 275 players, with the expected fluctuations in both directions based on time and day. Unfortunately, many of the high level and historic player accounts have sold, and been consolidated by other high level historic players, so you end up with something of an oligarchy.
Yeah i was at the top of the paladins guild for years until i quit. It was fun but looking back at it, i spent way too much of my life on that game. Anyway, how many players are on at prime time in DR these days?

Zarcath

Silver Squire
Yeah, when I resubbed to DR, I couldn't justify the price for amount of time I was putting into it. It was fun running around the old stomping grounds again and some of the stuff I have is from old as fuck carnivals and invasions. Think my Ranger is only level 18 or something, I wasn't hot shit in the old days, spent most of my time hanging out infront of the guild.

Fucking Harfle.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Well i read most of it
tongue.png
Thanks.