Olympics Thread

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Ya, US fielded male teams usually blow in Baseball in WBC/Olympics. Places like Cuba/Japan/etc clean house usually. One of the most vocal critics of baseball being removed from the Olympics was in fact Cuba, primarily because they typically do very well.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
However the Olympic Baseball argument turns out, one way or the other, no matter what, there is no way to justify its removal in the same universe that also has Doubles Luge.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I like all this talk about the USA dominating baseball when in 5 Olympiads Cuba won three times and got silver the other two! USA got one gold and two bronze. Softball though: 3 gold out of 4.

Also note that both sports are out of the Olympics for now (were already out in London in 2012).
Were those baseball wins "best on best" though? I thought that the MLB didn't participate in the Olympics? Excuse my ignorance!

As far as hockey goes, I suppose you guys will be happy to know that this is the last "best on best" Olympics for male hockey in all likelihood. It'll go back to a joke of a tournament with only players from European leagues participating, with all the best players from the NHL not playing. Yay.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
USA/Canada women's hockey game was awesome.

Correct outcome, too.
wOOt! The gold medal match should look like this, too.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Baseball was eliminated because nobody watched and MLB wouldn't send their pros. But saying that because a summer Olympic event was eliminated means we shouldn't have a Winter Olympic event is dumb.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think the point is, if there is a precedent for removing baseball due to it not being competitive amongst many countries then you could say the same thing for a sport like hockey. Its Canada's "pasttime" sport just as baseball is for the USA,the difference being Canada has been far better at hockey than the US has been in baseball.

I think most people (myself included) see the Summer Olympics being the best one by far since its more of a measure of the basic athletic endeavors: running, swimming, jumping etc (and it has fucking swordfighting!).

opiate82

Bronze Squire
No, this whole conversation started because someone thought the luge was stupid, not because Canada is good at hockey.

Olympic hockey also benefits because the NHL sends its players. Lots of interest in seeing what amounts to two weeks of all star games, especially with your eventual medal teams, where the players actually give a shit.

Baseball and soccer (which you would think would be huge) were/are amateurs or under 23 or something...not surprised it was about as popular as college baseball.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I posted that a few days ago man!

Well, for a lot of the "push" sports like bobsleigh, skeleton, and luge generally they don't grow up doing the sport. They play other sports, whether track and field or football, and then end up going in to those push sports. That's what happens with most of Canada's bobsleigh team, they wait for certain athletes to finish up their previous careers and then poach them:Bobsleigh Canadas strategy of recruiting from other sports is paying off - Editor's Picks, Life, Sports - Macleans.ca

The Canadian who won skeleton in 2010 (and was running around the Olympic village immediately after chugging a pitcher of beer) didn't even start doing it until he was 24:Jon Montgomery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He's basically said "I wanted to win an Olympic medal, didn't really know how, and then stumbled across this goofy sport by accident and here I am."
So basically what you're saying is that these "sports" are the equal opportunity program of the Olympics? "Hey, you were a decent runner but just couldn't cut it, so here's another chance at feeling special, now don't fuck it up." I wonder what sort of "sport" it will look like if they ever create something that washed up bobsleighers can compete in then?

Needless

Toe Sucker
GAME DAY NUUUUUUUGGGGGUUUUHS
RIP Norway!

Man Japan's women hockey team is comedy, 2kawaii4me
rrr_img_60168.jpg

Needless

Toe Sucker
Canada vs Norway
I figured they would do a lot better than 3-1... i assumed at LEAST 6-1

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Canada vs Norway
I figured they would do a lot better than 3-1... i assumed at LEAST 6-1
I agree. Wonder if they're playing light because they're nearly guaranteed a spot in the gold medal round now.

And damn, Dirk, if you love Canada so much why don't you marry it?! I kidding of course, I <3 Canadia.
We're looking to move back there, possibly this year. Just hard to give up the house/property we have now for what will be less there, as property prices are so much higher there than this part of the country.