Olympics Thread

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Personally I wouldn't mind seeing any sports taken out of the olympics that requires a judge to give a score. Of course that would get rid of wildly popular gymnastics and so forth. But I rather it be just the first person there wins, scores the most points etc...

Agraza

Registered Hutt
A lot of the judging is much less arbitrary now. Generally they get a certain score before they do anything based on the complexity of the intended performance, then receive deductions for each mistake. I'm cool with that.

I agree. I would rather see boxing, fencing, Judo, TKD, wrestling, instead of the stupid swimming and other goofy shit. I realize that some sports are easier to get people to get excited about. lets be honest though, if they built up TKD or wrestling like they did swimming who knows how big those sports could get. Maybe its just the people I know but most of them would rather watch wrestling and TKD instead of the stuff they show when the Olympics roll around. Hell I treat swimming like nascar, just tune into sports center and find out who won, skips all the Bob Costas cut scenes.
all it takes is a good commentator team to sell it, you watch some of the fencing and TKD and the color commentary is a fucking snore, drags the action way down. I turn the volume off and throw on a Metal playlist. I got all into Ping-Pong one year cause the commentary was over the top good, I thought I was watching South American Soccer.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Wrestling is just boring to watch unless guys are getting hit by folding chairs or fighting on top of a cage.

Szlia

Note that choosing the watered down, purely professional and heavily advertisement backed 7 players Rugby over the classic, proud of its amateur tradition 15 players Rugby is also a typical modern IOC move.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Note that choosing the watered down, purely professional and heavily advertisement backed 7 players Rugby over the classic, proud of its amateur tradition 15 players Rugby is also a typical modern IOC move.
I don't care for 7's either.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I've been trying to sum up in my head how out of whack the IOC has become in regards to the 'Spirit of the Olympics', but I'm failing miserably. I just don't think they understand why I watch the Olympics, and why they should give a damn.

Szlia

If I were you I would be cautious about the 'Spirit of the Olympics'. Originally it's a competition for soldiers to prove their worth in a time of peace and the modern version tried to be just that too (again: modern pentathlon invented by Coubertin is the five things a soldier should be able to do behind enemy lines). Also, both inconceivable for the greeks and resisted by Coubertin: female olympians.

In the spirit of the modern games were also a number of art competitions glorifying sport and its values. They decided to stop awarding medals in the '50s because almost all the contestants were pros, going against a tenet of olympism: amateurism. A story that is sure to get a good laugh out of NBA players and tennismen and women.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
1 on 1 basketball was part of the ancient olympics

Pentathlon_athlets_Staatliche_Antikensammlungen_2637.jpg

I'd be ok if they replaced wrestling with MMA but it seems retarded to drop wrestling and replace it with some silly shit.

The cost reason doesn't even make sense. All they need are a few mats and judges. Fuck they can do it outside in the open lol.