One Child Nation (2019)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: One Child Nation (2019)

Tagline: The truth beyond the propaganda.

Genre: Documentary

Director: Nanfu Wang, Zhang Jia-Ling

Cast: Nanfu Wang, Jiaoming Pang, Brian Stuy, Longlan Stuy

Release: 2019-03-29

Runtime: 88

Plot: Through interviews with both victims and instigators, Nanfu Wang, a first-time mother, breaks open decades of silence on a vast, unprecedented social experiment that shaped — and destroyed — countless lives in China.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This was mentioned by someone a while back around here. Watched it today. It is quite fucked up. Just the sheer scale of it.

Most striking to me was the, "human traffickers" who the Chinese put in prison for decades for their crimes of... not letting these kids just die. Sure they did make money off of it and all but in any Western nation this would be one of the noblest acts a human could do. Even if they took a measly few hundred bucks for each kid they found. But their scam was, once the Chinese opened adoption internationally, these dudes would walk around rural towns where female infants were just abandoned. Pick them up and take them to the international orphanage, get $100-$200 and the orphanage would make $10k-$25k on adoption fees by foreigners looking to adopt.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I kept thinking that their has to be something more to it, to get that many years, for just getting those kids a second chance. I'm sure it is a bit more complicated than we get to see in the film.

I wouldn't be surprised if many more local small town officials helped set up an underground railroad of sorts, in terms of, they couldn't tow the party line in this policy, so they helped get children to the west, so they didn't have to kill them. Since they are still living under the CCP, not many would want to talk about it. I could also see a situation where giving people money for babies led to babies getting stolen from wanting families, but in a situation where there are 1000s of children being born "illegally," I doubt it would be a wide spread occurrence.

I guess the main crime, to get all those years, was disobeying the CCP...and it makes me wonder what the CCP has done to the people she interviewed in the film, after it was released.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database