Our Hobbies

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Given what I know about Canada, I am certain that the story of curling started with "we were really drunk, out on the frozen lake, and the fish weren't biting so...

I can't understand the appeal to people who are sober and not already standing on a huge sheet of ice though.
heh, curling is fairly rare even here. No one curls outside on a lake or some shit, it's all done in dedicated curling rinks. I have curled a grand total of like twice in my whole life, in grade 10 gym class. In all of Edmonton, a city of about 1.2 million people, there might be half a dozen curling rinks. It's something my friends and I talk about every now and then (when drunk, you're right about that). "We should learn how to curl!" And we never do.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I curl. Living in Oklahoma, we are pretty limited on facilities where you can curl. Our club is growing, but near close enough to build a dedicated facility. I've gotten pretty decent in our league and win most of my games I play. Last year I got to start going to some competitive events outside the state and had a great time. This year I'll "skip" some competitive teams and hopefully pick up my first event title.
There's a year-round ice rink here in KC that just started advertising Curling classes/training, and I think they're eventually going to set up Curling leagues. It's definitely spreading to areas that aren't typically known for winter sports(even youth Hockey here is a pretty small/recent development)

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
There's a year-round ice rink here in KC that just started advertising Curling classes/training, and I think they're eventually going to set up Curling leagues. It's definitely spreading to areas that aren't typically known for winter sports(even youth Hockey here is a pretty small/recent development)
I was actually in KC just a few months ago to curl in a tournament. Between the Oklahoma Curling Club and OU Curling Club, we sent 3 teams to the event. We were loud as shit and I'm sure we annoyed some of the other teams. As mentioned earlier, in Canada and northern states, you'll find dedicated arenas for curling. Down in Oklahoma City, Dallas, and various other places south of Chicago, people curl in ice arenas. We always end up going after a hockey game or figure skating practice. Because of our situation, there isn't an opportunity to practice. We just do league games. Every once in awhile we'll do a recruitment event like learn to curl classes or open houses to try to drive some membership.

I always watched curling when the Olympics came on and then one day my buddy told me there was actually a place in OKC to do it. I started curling when I was in my late 20s and I'm 30 now. It's not really hard to pickup if you have a bit of balance. I used to bowl in leagues and I think that has helped me a little bit. I also find it similar to golf in the fact that when you throw a good shot in curling, it's just like hitting a good golf shot. We drink beer out on the ice, definitely good times. With the olympics around the corner, lots of curling clubs will be having classes/demonstrations. If you have any curiosity, it's a great time to check it out. There are lots of places to curl that most people didn't know existed.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I began homebrewing about a year ago and it's a hobby that can pretty much take over your entire life if you aren't careful.

Had to buy a standalone propane burner for my brews because I moved into a place with an electric stove that isn't hot enough for my 5gal boils :/

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We had a curling club start meeting at the arena where I work, and we ended up having to completely tear out and re-do one of our five surfaces to accommodate the club. The ice was just a few degrees off or some shit, and ended up costing close to $2,000,000 all said and done. We did end up hosting a USA Curling Nationals event, though, which was a much bigger draw than expected.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't be interested unless they're curling with a cheesecake

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
He probably gets wicked ass wasted after every gig/practice.
A lot of this. Being on the road is just physically exhausting and gross. There's no hygiene and it's impossible to get a normal amount of sleep. Days go like this: Wake up in a van with 4 other dudes in a rest stop/parking lot at dawn. Caffeine intake and anywhere from a 3 to 8 hour drive to the next gig. Get there, get a little buzzed to wake up. Play the show. Get drunk. Pass out at 3AM (or later) in that van again. Repeat.

It's taxing. And our group does it as a hobby outside of our normal day jobs. We're only ever on the road for a week or two at a time. I can't imagine what lower level touring bands that do it for months of the year go through.

It's fun and worth it for now. But the lack of sleep really gets to you after a while.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I began homebrewing about a year ago and it's a hobby that can pretty much take over your entire life if you aren't careful.

Had to buy a standalone propane burner for my brews because I moved into a place with an electric stove that isn't hot enough for my 5gal boils :/
I did a lot of brewing the last couple years until my roommates moved out and my girlfriend moved in. We drink a lot less, so I haven't been as much into it lately. I do love the artistry of it, however.

Which reminds me, I really ought to make that batch of mead at home.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Some greaves I did up, first set I made so was just free-forming them. The way I dyed them was a mistake, but it looks ok still.

rrr_img_52814.jpg

rrr_img_52815.jpg

Agraza

Registered Hutt
you can resize when you upload to imgur.com. select the checkbox to edit them before you accept the upload. alternatively you can put {spoiler}{/spoiler} tags around them with correct BBcode brackets.

do the runes say anything or are they just fanciful?

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
The runes i just made up. The stuff that looks like script is an elvish font I found, and I can't recall if those ones say anything. I made a breastplate also and the script on that had the person's character lineage on it for the game they play.