Outward (PC/Xbox/PS4 Survival RPG Mar-26)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
I guess my only gripe aside from the dated graphics is even with the big 110 space pack it's really hard to stay out adventuring for too long without going overweight even when breaking down everything and the complete lack of fast travel is going to drive me nuts. With the master trader garb it easily takes 10-15 minutes to get from Cierzo to Berg. If you don't make that set a priority to acquire then it's probably 30+ minutes or longer worth of running/sleeping or popping crap to keep your stamina up which is just tedious once you have done it before and will definitely prevent me from replaying the game after I decide to beat it. Even if it's just a trade cart that I can hire and afk between cities would be a good enough quality of life fix. Difficulty so far hasn't been that bad, but I've been pretty diligent in setting myself up for success via copious amounts of potions/food and what is probably OP gear for the starter zone. I've died twice since I restarted solo and they were both easily avoidable but I didn't respect the NPC damage.

Break down most things into iron scraps - there's a repeatable quest turn in at Vendavel Fortress that is 1 iron = 5s. A lot of weapons you get will sell for more than that, but weight efficiency is a thing to consider. Also, if you have a lot of silver, turn it into gold bars and carry around gold bars mostly instead.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Glad I’m not the only one who stopped the storyline after saving my house. I’ve been doing nothing but exploring since.

I believe there is a trick to avoid all the traveling when your pack is full. I haven’t tried it yet but essentially just make an alt and camp them at your house stash or at a merchant in the starter town. launch their game and turn on local split screen. Log in your main and they will appear right next to your alt in town. Sell all your extra loot then log off your main. Exit split screen. Log off your alt. Log back in as your main and you will still be wherever you were in the world. It won’t save your location in the starter town if you aren’t hosting the split screen. I probably explained that very poorly but hopefully it makes sense. Apparently it works quite well and let’s you, for a minor inconvenience, completely bypass the annoying running back to town frequently to sell crap.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It's very difficult at first, and inspires a real sense of exploration I noticed. Weak points are janky combat and shitty inventory management system. Constant struggles with weight limit is a big problem too, it throws too many items at you that you can never carry without some crazyiness like split screen selling or a weight limit mod. They seem to be going for a 'hardcore survival action rpg' angle so it's meant to be rather difficult though sometimes it's for the wrong reasons. I really liked the game though.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Thinking about picking this up. Thoughts?
I've heard alot of comparisons to Gothic.

The game is super immersive in a way most other rpgs are not. Not from deep interactive dialogue, or super detailed backgrounds, etc. But instead largely from the unique skill systems, and Auto-save. The game forces you to live with your choices.

It is a small budget, small team game. So, there are some huge flaws here and there. graphics are pretty meh for the most part. Although season transitions are pretty cool.
Combat is a bit janky, and gear/abilities are not very well balanced. some classes/skills are just plain better then others. Alot of gear is kindof useless, and not worth the effort to get it.

its been out a while, and has not had a ton of post release patching, sadly. not remotely the kind you would expect from a small indie dev team, who would want to keep pushing new sales for years, after release.

Epic game store.
$10 coupon for game 14.99 or more. And when used for purchasing on a game $14.99 the coupon resets.

60% off, down to $15.99?

$15.99 on steam or epic game store alone is good enough for a recommend.

but, then -$10 for 5.99 on Epic. a must buy ihmo for anyone interested in 1st/3rd person rpgs.

Last edited:

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah TJT TJT made me buy this and then he showed up for an hour to play in typical TJT TJT fashion. So Tuco if you get this for PS4 let me know.

Reminded me a ton of Everquest.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Thinking about picking this up. Thoughts?

This post is still the best way I can put it:

I really feel like anyone that enjoyed the early EverQuest experience before the game was "solved" will dig this game. Very similar in a lot of ways. It's pretty far and away from modern EQ min/max style play, but really similar to the days of jank and mystery.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah TJT TJT made me buy this and then he showed up for an hour to play in typical TJT TJT fashion. So Tuco if you get this for PS4 let me know.

I finally got a headset for my PS4 brosephius, still haven't ever played online on a console tho lol, maybe you can pop my cherry

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

I did end up finishing it. It was fun. Will play again. Sorry :(

Early game was very punishing until I figured out some shit and bought some trainer skills. The, "classes" are really original. I absolutely loved the Runemage.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Been playing this, feel like I'm halfway through the game. I cheesed out the Royal Manticore and built a spec around his claymore drop that uses shaman, monk and hunter classes. It's pretty fun, can recommend.

I enjoyed the gameplay mechanics of the early game that focused on survival, but I think after doing the first couple areas the game is more fun by enabling debug mode and teleporting / increasing run speed between areas.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
I wanted to like this game but I found the world incredibly lifeless and shallow. I eventually just stopped playing out of boredom like 25 hours in. It almost just felt like a demo that was missing like half of the game systems. Curious if either of these DLCs change that at all.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Anybody tried the DLCs yet? The steam reviews for Three Brothers seem pretty damning.

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
Really like this game but as others said it feels like there are just some basic things missing to take it from "good game" to "great game". The first 10 or so hours are probably the most enjoyable as you see lots of progress and the systems start to make sense but then you have to travel further and further out and your reward for exploring is lots of stuff that weighs you down that makes it take SO.FUCKING.LONG. to get back to town. I think the game world itself is extremely interesting and shows you all these cool things to look at but a lot of them never seem to get fleshed out and you might spend 15 minutes running towards something in the distance only to discover that it's actually unreachable or there's nothing interesting there.

Haven't tried any of the DLCs, they all seem to get pounded by reviews and I haven't seen them offered at a sale price I'm ok throwing money away at yet. Strongly recommend some QoL mods regarding inventory/storage management and something to enable reagent-based teleportation as the run between cities is only KIND OF interesting the first time you do it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user