Overrated Albums of the 90s.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
I'm not familiar with post-Black Metallica. Don't mind Black at all. Kill, Ride, Puppets and Justice are good thrash albums. Garage Days too.

If you want to say Nirvana is overrated songwise that's one thing but Nirvana isn't overrated skillwise cos nobody considers Nirvana a group of virtuosos. That's not what people like about them.
REM Automatic for the People-

Alanis Morrissette:

Pick any thug: All 90s Rap
Not an Alanis fan.

Half agree. Some of the thug shit is annoying but a lot of hip hop has good creativity.

REM is the one 90s/began in the 80s band I would firmly label overrated. There's a lot of bands far worse than them. They have a couple of good tunes but I've never listened to REM voluntarily. They're the epitome of meh. Not worthy of hate or love. They're just there.

Last edited:

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
David Grohl is an amazing talent and arguably one of the best drummers of the modern era (source- his contributions to QotSA), but yeah Nirvana is not otherwise remarkable in terms of talent. They were at the right place at the right time with the right song to set off the grunge era. Literally every other mainstream grunge band was superior to them in both overall talent and material (Pearl Jam, Sound Garden, Alice in Chains, I might lump Stone Temple Pilots as being somewhat grungy too).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
David Grohl is an amazing talent and arguably one of the best drummers of the modern era (source- his contributions to QotSA)

*one of the best drummers in the modern mainstream rock world

You got mofos like Marco Minnemann and Mike Portnoy and shit that are many tiers above Grohl. Then session dudes like Josh Freese and Ilan Rubin who played live with NIN where a lot of the drums were programmed electronically and these cats come in and absolutely slay it. I mean shit, Taylor Hawkins who is the drummer in the Foo Fighters is a fucking boss.

Dave Grohl is still dope though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
David Grohl is an amazing talent and arguably one of the best drummers of the modern era (source- his contributions to QotSA), but yeah Nirvana is not otherwise remarkable in terms of talent. They were at the right place at the right time with the right song to set off the grunge era. Literally every other mainstream grunge band was superior to them in both overall talent and material (Pearl Jam, Sound Garden, Alice in Chains, I might lump Stone Temple Pilots as being somewhat grungy too).
I've changed more than once regarding Nirvana. Went from liking them as a kid to being more critical of them. By then I was balls deep in virtuosity. Years later I appreciated their artistic sensibility which is higher than staid composers, stodgy and unimaginative. Part of that is nostalgia. Part might also be improvisation and a growing development that occurred years ago into country, blues, bluegrass, jazz, folk, americana, experimentalism and minimalism.

Dave Grohl is awesome. His drumming made the band. Listen to Bleach and Incesticide, compare it to Nevermind and In Utero. Notice anything? FUCKING RIGHT YOU DO that's called Grohl kicking ass. Krist is a good bassist and his bass lines fit. Kurt was really good at weird shit and feedback. Kurt is one of my favorite guitarists regarding punk noise. Used to hate him, now not so much.

GnR--UseYourIllusion1.jpg

Outside of November Rain, I don't think I really recognized a single song from this album. Sure, this album isn't as highly received as something like OK, Computer, but I've still seen it pop up on a lot of "best of" type lists. Not something I think really deserves the praise.
1 has Dust N' Bones, You Ain't the First, Coma and The Garden. Some of the best non appetite songs. 2 has Civil War, 14 Years, You Could Be Mine, the shitty lesser Don't Cry, So Fine (terrible song) and My World the worst, most skippable track on Earth. My World alone besmirches 2 and almost ruins the entire history of Guns N' Roses. Axl Rose can suck a dick.

Last edited:

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
*one of the best drummers in the modern mainstream rock world

You got mofos like Marco Minnemann and Mike Portnoy and shit that are many tiers above Grohl. Then session dudes like Josh Freese and Ilan Rubin who played live with NIN where a lot of the drums were programmed electronically and these cats come in and absolutely slay it. I mean shit, Taylor Hawkins who is the drummer in the Foo Fighters is a fucking boss.

Dave Grohl is still dope though.

Nice.

Doing double duty on piano even.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I think technical "talent" can be heavily overrated in music. At the end of the day you need music that sounds good, and while that technical talent helps, it is certainly not exclusive to the more "gifted" technical bands. At some point music just needs to sound good.

That being said, once you start running out of songs to write, it's a lot harder to keep any forward success without that said talent. I think Nirvana probably fits with what I was trying to get at here; super interesting sound, weird songs with catchy guitar work. Worked great, until it didn't.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I think Nirvana probably fits with what I was trying to get at here; super interesting sound, weird songs with catchy guitar work. Worked great, until it didn't.

yeah, THAT is the reason why Nirvana isn't around anymore, right :p

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
yeah, THAT is the reason why Nirvana isn't around anymore, right :p
That’s right. Nirvana broke up simply due to their sound getting stale and had nothing to do with the frontman eating a 12 gauge blast to the face. These are the kind of hot takes I come to fires of heaven for.