Overwatch

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Oh last night for the first time I was the recipient of Ana's Nano Boost while playing Symmetra on Numbani, for what ended up being the last play of the game defending Point A.

Symmetra is so hilariously deadly with Nano Boost, you just run around in general direction of the other team, your left click just locks on anyone near you and melts them one after the other.

A guy from the other team just said in chat after the play. "WTF was that. LOL"

It was so much fun.
smile.png

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I think I've lost my last 15 comp games. Shit is going good, you could say.
Master Overwatch Trends

Nah, its not that bad...

Out of curiosity, whats your mouse sensitivity? When I was big into CSGO last year, an argument on mouse sensitivity lead me to unfucking my own. This chart was extremely persuasive...http://www.tobyscs.com/files/ranksens.png. Showing, essentially, that the higher ranked players use progressively lower and lower sensitivity.

I finally got my friend who historically has "always sucked at FPS" to sit down and fix his sensitivity with me. He probably cut his sens down to 20 percent of its original, and he is already aimingsubstantiallybetter 24 hours later.

In Windows:

1) Windows mouse sensitivity to the sixth tick mark from the left. If this is unclear, there are photos showing it, just google for CS mouse sensitivity or something...
2) "enhance pointer precision off"

Then, go to your mouse software and check what DPI you have. Then, go toOverwatch Pro Settings and Setups - An always updated list on the Settings and Setups used by Professional OW Players - on-winning.com

Check what pros are using and start practicing with some sort of setup within that range. For example, I use 400 DPI and 9 ingame. True sens = DPI * ingame sens. Looks like most pros are around the ~5000 true sens range.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I use 1600 DPI and 4 in-game. My playing is fine, actually I'm becoming pretty good at genji lately and some others. I'm just getting into games where we get steamrolled and it's just bad luck I'd guess.

I noticed in the low 40's a lot of people just have absolutely no idea what they're doing. Typically on Genji I'll flank the team, usually picking off a healer and a DPS, then I'll swing to the point. At that point my team is usually fully dead and I have to run away from the 4-5 people capping the point.

This has been every. single. game.

I'm not quitting. I stopped caring.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I noticed in the low 40's a lot of people just have absolutely no idea what they're doing. Typically on Genji I'll flank the team, usually picking off a healer and a DPS, then I'll swing to the point. At that point my team is usually fully dead and I have to run away from the 4-5 people capping the point.

This has been every. single. game..
Oh god, this drives me nuts. I usually play as Reaper now, and the same thing happens to me so often.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I sometimes wonder how some players achieve their rank. I was with a R62 guy yesterday who had to last-pick support. He was terrible. Utterly abysmal. He said he doesn't play support so someone else take the role. So I did and I let him have his 76. Where he proceeded to do nothing on that hero as well. I just don't get it sometimes. I should have just dodged the game when our initial draft called for a solo healing Zenyatta and a solo tanking Zarya and the last 2 picks were Genji and Tracer.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I know it wouldn't work and would cause more problems than solve...but I wish we had an option to leave during character selection if we see we have an awful team.
smile.png

I would say easily half my loss, I know at character selection I will lose because of awful team composition.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I noticed in the low 40's a lot of people just have absolutely no idea what they're doing.
It doesn't matter how awesome you think your tactics are when they quite objectively do not work. Even if I take your absurd hyperbole at face value, why do you keep repeating the same tactics if they aren't working? I'd argue that an important characterisitic of a good player is adapting to the circumstances. Maybe teams in your brackets don't need solomaster 9000 Genjis on the flank, maybe they need Lucios, Reinhardts and Soldiers playing the objective.

Tangentially, I've noticed everyone on this forum sub 50 thinks everyone but them has no idea what they're doing. Uh... you guys can't all be right, right?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'll just stream all my absurd matches from now on. Wood league heroes.

I usually adapt if i think we need it. But if my team is going to trickle In one by one to a capped point then I might as well play a character i enjoy. Never said i was a great player but at least I am not a lemming

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
The ranked games seem to be garbage under rank 60 from everything I've seen.

During my ranking games it kept putting me up against high 60's-low 70's and the caliber of the games was so much better. Folks would actually switch to proper character counters.

The games in the 50's are a bunch of assholes who pick the same stupid characters and refuse to swap properly.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Tangentially, I've noticed everyone on this forum sub 50 thinks everyone but them has no idea what they're doing. Uh... you guys can't all be right, right?
I think the issue for a few of us on this forum, is that we are older people whose twitch skills doesn't match our tactical skills so to speak.

So we are in the 40's not because we don't understand the game, or tactics, or group composition, and which class counter which class...we're there because we don't have the twitch skill level to get much higher.

That's why you see a few of us complain about people having no idea what they are doing...because there is a lot of people at this level that are there because they have better twitch skills then us, but they have bad understanding of the game.

It's just frustrating to understand the game on a strategic level...but not have the skill level to be with the people that generally understand the game like we do.

I hope that makes sense.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Yeah I had issues like that last night too. It was KOTH and we had double tank, double support, and double DPS. The tanks and support were doing great but our DPS had no clue how to follow up on the plays we were making. I then switched off tank to Reaper to make up for our DPS sucking and started wrecking the other team, we even took the point a few times. Unfortunately the other team was smart enough to start focusing me down since I was the only real threat and lost.

Ah well, at least I tried?

Taloo_sl

shitlord
I think the issue for a few of us on this forum, is that we are older people whose twitch skills doesn't match our tactical skills so to speak.

So we are in the 40's not because we don't understand the game, or tactics, or group composition, and which class counter which class...we're there because we don't have the twitch skill level to get much higher.

That's why you see a few of us complain about people having no idea what they are doing...because there is a lot of people at this level that are there because they have better twitch skills then us, but they have bad understanding of the game.

It's just frustrating to understand the game on a strategic level...but not have the skill level to be with the people that generally understand the game like we do.

I hope that makes sense.
That's exactly where I'm at, just add brain and nerve damage to the age part. The thing is there's absolutely nothing on the line here. It's seriously not about winning or losing it's about how you play the game(gaaaay). Because the only person who gives a shit about if you're having fun or not isyou. So if you aren't then the only person with a problem and who needs to change something is... you.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
I get to deal with this shit everyday. I'm sure its arguably worse the further you go down.. but even at high 60's-70's I run into players that are just abysmal at best. Could have been a bad day on their part, or whatever.. but fuck sometimes its frustrating. Looking at a player with 50+hrs in QP as Lucio, like 20hrs in Comp.. and he locks in Pharah, and does absolutely nothing but proceeds to tell everyone their pick is wrong. Ana lock-ins with less than an hours worth of gameplay, you find yourself having to scream for healing.. I can't tell you how many times I had to sit in a corner waiting for the Ana to be able to find me. Doing DPS was what she was made for guys, don't forget that.. holding your ult is the best thing to do, minus my friend can get a nano a minute on a good day. I even had a guy who was 64, have the audacity to tell us he was a rank 77 smurf and that he knows how to play this game. Fine and dandy, you know how to play the game, but he would continue to stress about composition and picks while doing nothing himself. It was hard to believe the guy was a smurf at all with 200+ ranked games logged into the account he was playing. Then I have people cry about my Hanzo pick. I can agree, hes not the strongest character.. but when i'm holding gold over you and averaging 2-3 picks/kills per-life.. what does that say about yourself? but no, its the hanzo's fault. Not the McCree or 76's neglecting the Pharah, or not trying to burst down Rein shield because who shoots shields.

As far as climbing as older gents.. it's do-able. Despite being a twitch heavy game, it kinda falls on your teammates the most. Find 4 people, and climb.. I found it to be the magic number, ONLY IF, you draft the main roles for most optimal control(Tank/Heal/DPS/Flex).. or it might work at 6 lower tiers because you can easily do lucio cheese. It's really hard to handle without being able to coordinate well against it. Get to any choke point, amp up speed and just charge in as 6.. call your targets focus them down and play off that and you'll win a shit ton of games. People often stagger against it, and you can domino the fuck out of em. Recognize when to keep three on objective, and three on aggro. Stagger their death timers, ie if you have one or two stragglers, weigh the benefit of letting them be stragglers and essentially trapping them until need be.

This also happened to me last night, Genji confirmed for the best shield in the game.

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
I'm finding when my eyes are really giving me problems (I'm legally blind) the best old man characters are Lucio and D'va.

With Lucio you can take a more strategic role and help call out targets and problem areas to teammates.

With D'va you don't have to worry as much about the bunny hopping horseshit from the quake days and can plop your ass down and start shooting. You better be good with defense matrix though! Be very aware of your jump jet timers to move when needed and be a constant threat.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Maybe my problem is I should just take charge in pugs - LISTEN MOTHERFUCKER WHY THE FUCK DID YOU JUST ROLL SYMMETRA WHEN WE'RE ON ATTACK STOP IT.

I'll start streaming my games so everyone can laugh at how hilariously terrible at this game I am and how if I had switched to any other character I wouldn't lose every single game.