Overwatch

Dudebro_sl

shitlord
Seems like pub games boil down to: am I attacking? I lost. I am defending? I won.

Torb and Bastion are kind of killing the fun of this game to be honest. I just contributed to the bullshit by getting 30+ kills with bastion while a random reinhardt was putting his shield up in front of me. I could whip around and kill anyone who got behind instantly too. Fun stuff.

Arch

Lord Nagafen Raider
Roadhog is a good counter for Bastion, hook takes him out of siege mode so he loses all of his armor.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Roadhog is a good counter for Bastion, hook takes him out of siege mode so he loses all of his armor.
Assuming a Rein isn't standing infront of the Bastion or the Bastion isn't tucked away in a fashion that makes hooking him really, really difficult. Sure if he's out in the open you can hook him but when he's out in the open you can just kill him as well. Seagull said on his stream if you hit Bastion's core (which I honestly am not sure where that is) that crits actually do triple versus Bastion.

It feels like they should either leave his armor as-is but remove 360 rotation or if they want to keep 360 they should lower his armor

Dudebro_sl

shitlord
Assuming a Rein isn't standing infront of the Bastion or the Bastion isn't tucked away in a fashion that makes hooking him really, really difficult. Sure if he's out in the open you can hook him but when he's out in the open you can just kill him as well. Seagull said on his stream if you hit Bastion's core (which I honestly am not sure where that is) that crits actually do triple versus Bastion.

It feels like they should either leave his armor as-is but remove 360 rotation or if they want to keep 360 they should lower his armor
Hits to the back of his core don't matter that much because if he sees the person get behind him or sees he's getting hit, he's able to whip around and kill most of the characters that are capable of getting behind him faster than they can kill him even with the core shots. He then heals up almost instantly and it's back to business.

While roadhogs hook combo is devastating to him, he's usually far back guarding a choke point out of hook range and it's not like his team is just going to let you waltz into hook range and grab him.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

Core is behind him, it's basically triple damage headshots. New bastion seems fairly ok? I mean sure he's tankier kinda, but without his front shield, he's actually far less tankier than he was from the front, plus he doesn't avoid a bunch of mechanics like hook/earthshatter/pulse bomb damage(if it wasn't lobbed above the shield) and so on. I believe they nerfed his damage some too, so he's really a lot worse than before at doing the turret shit. I mean behind Reinhardt sure, but that's not different than before, and is actually weaker due to doing 33% less damage.

He is now a lot more proficient for attack maps though, especially sitting on the payload, since he can actually turn around, so that's a big buff on that side, but defending you're still gonna try to get your back to a wall to limit potential damage, and in that situation, he's worse than before. Seems like a fair change? Don't know.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Does aiming in this game do anything? In the 5 or 6 hours I've played I honestly can't tell if headshots do more damage than just shooting every other body part

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Characters like Bastion and Torb are almost exponentially stronger against new players or disorganized teams, but can suffer or be more mediocre against skilled players and organized team. There's always characters like that. Torb was significantly reworked for the re-beta-ing and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets reworked again, but both he and Bastion look significantly easier to deal with while also being more versatile to play. But any game that has attack vs defense is never going to avoid the problem of people throwing themselves wave after wave into a choke point with a heavy gun on the other end. People are just dumb.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Does aiming in this game do anything? In the 5 or 6 hours I've played I honestly can't tell if headshots do more damage than just shooting every other body part
Headshots do... I forget, double damage? 50% more? They do more damage for sure though. Every other part is the same damage. Exceptions to this are D-va whose head is in the center of the mech(basically, her head, not like the top of the mech) and Bastion whose "head" is in his back when he's in turret form. Also some stuff can't headshot, like rockets and melee.

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
Bastion can be countered with Widowmaker and Pharah but coordinated teams with a bastion and torb are just a nightmare on some maps.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Crits are double damage

Lol, was just in a game with tigole. "Shouldn't you be working mr kaplan?" "......I am"
frown.png

Tenks

I'm starting to really dig on Reaper as well. I feel like he probably excels most versus noobs because he really punishes teams that extend and just pick off the back line completely. At first I didn't care for him but the more I play him the more I like him.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Yeah Reaper is good for stomping unaware players/teams. I really hate Death Blossom though, it's too easy to just teleport above a team, drop down and hit Q which gives you a free POTG montage lol
Aware players it's not so amazing though as McCree or Roadhog can instantly interrupt it but when they add in a second Reaper, or a third and just waterfall those DBs it just gets silly lol

Pretty much any Lijiang Tower i've played has had at least 2-4 Reapers between the two teams lol

Ryoz

<Donor>
Yea I missed out on both ow betas. I did get invited for a weekend last year, but that's it. Not sure how much money I have to throw at these guys to get some love.

Tenks

Its also amazing how in quick match people absoutely refuse to change off the hero they started on. Maybe they do it because it is easier to get a commendation card if you stick with one toon. But during different defense/offense objective points some heroes are great where others aren't quite so good. Like on Gibraltar I feel Junkrat is really good from the intial point until the first checkpoint. Between c1 and c2 I feel he isn't as good in that boxy area. Torbjorn is better there and so is Pharah. Then again Junkrat becomes pretty good between points c2 and c3. Then there are certain heroes which I feel are more counter-picks than heroes you should really gun to play. Like Tracer I feel is more of a counter pick. I feel Reaper is a counter pick. Then heroes like S76 I generally lock onto at the start of the game because I feel he's just universally good versus any team comp but once I get a feel for their team I may switch off to someone else. It just seems so rare to see people constantly juggle the hero they're playing around.

Tenks

What are the commendation awards for?
As of right now nothing. I kind of hope they just remove it because the system is somewhat stupid and if they did add rewards to it you'll just get people complaining that they didn't win and didn't get the extra 1k XP or whatever.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Its also amazing how in quick match people absoutely refuse to change off the hero they started on. Maybe they do it because it is easier to get a commendation card if you stick with one toon. But during different defense/offense objective points some heroes are great where others aren't quite so good.
It's the competitive mindset carrying over from MOBAs and TF2 imo. Basically in those games, you average the best win rate by specializing a single role/hero.
I didn't play TF2 competitively, but I'm fairly certain you had players that only played Scout or Heavy etc.
Since the heroes in OW are similar to MOBA heroes, you have that mindset as well. I play LoL a ton and if you want to rank up it's best to only play a small amount of champions.
Even though there might be better counter picks, mastering a champion is usually the better bet.

Now with OW I've been grinding out Hanzo and every time I decide to try something else I get steamrolled. Usually I'm trying to pick a role the team lacks or a counter to the enemy, but I have been doing much worse than if I just stay on Hanzo. Now I'll definitely pick up other heroes for sure, but I literally just got in beta and want to get a firm grasp of the game without needing to worry about mechanics right now, so sticking to 1 guy is helping there.