Paleo 101: How and why you should eat like a Caveman

splok_sl

shitlord
Did you read the article that your article was based on?

Still, the carb-loading cave dwellers were probably the exception, not the rule.

"While about 90 percent of adults in the U.S. suffer from cavities, little more than a handful of early human ancestor teeth have them," Ungar told LiveScience. In contrast, less than 2 percent of Stone Age foragers had cavities, he said.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah the top comment annihilates the article
This is "reporting" at its worst.

How do you get "cavemen actually at tons of carbs, according to new research" when that research actually states "some ancient populations" ate sweet acorns, which is based on the analysis of ONLY 14 skull of more than 100 burials excavated in ONE CAVE? That's less than 14 per cent.

You must have completely skipped over the part of the article that says, "Still, the carb-loading cave dwellers were probably the exception, not the rule" or "less than 2 percent of Stone Age foragers had cavities." It's bullshit reporting like this that can cause a lot of harm to a well-researched and one of the most highly respected dietary regimes in history of health science.

I suspect you will be responding to this comment, as well, as you seem to have the need to defend what you've written when people here are correcting you.

Cybsled

Humans today already eat like cavemen, which is why we crave fatty, salty, and sweet foods. If a caveman was here today, they would be chowing McDonalds.

People eat whatever the hell is available and won't kill you. That's part of why our species has been successful. A true paleo diet would actually be exploiting every damned food source available.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I've come to realize that the most annoying people in the world are strict Paleo Crossfitters, because they have TWO things to tell you about all. the. time.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I don't know man, I think that might be less annoying than someone who crossfits but doesn't follow a diet. At least when they talk about paleo or crossfit you get some variety in the crap they are spewing.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I've been on a "selective carbohydrate" diet (Breaking the Vicious Cycle - The Specific Carbohydrate Diet) as a last ditch effort to control diverticulitis flare-ups, and it seems to be working excellent so far, despite the diet itself being miserable. I don't know the details of the "paleo" diet but it seems somewhat similar. I can eat any meats, vegetables, and fruits, but can't have any lactose containing product or any complex carbohydrates-- so basically no sugar except honey, and no flour/wheat..

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I've been on a "selective carbohydrate" diet (Breaking the Vicious Cycle - The Specific Carbohydrate Diet) as a last ditch effort to control diverticulitis flare-ups, and it seems to be working excellent so far, despite the diet itself being miserable. I don't know the details of the "paleo" diet but it seems somewhat similar. I can eat any meats, vegetables, and fruits, but can't have any lactose containing product or any complex carbohydrates-- so basically no sugar except honey, and no flour/wheat..
Why not sugar except honey?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Table sugar is sucrose, which is made up of two molecules bonded together. When we eat table sugar, our stomach has to use its own enzymes to separate the molecules apart before we can use the sugar's energy. Honey is quite different. The bees have added a special enzyme to the nectar that divides the sucrose into glucose and fructose -- two simple sugars for our bodies can absorb directly.

Hence, honey vs sugar, honey has a healthier Glycemic Index (GI) which measures the negative impact of a given food on the blood-glucose level. The lower the GI rating, the slower the absorption and infusion of sugars into the bloodstream and hence a more gradual and healthier digestion process.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I hope the sugar in "no sugar except honey" is referring to more than just sucrose. Otherwise, it's a pointless rule.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I hope the sugar in "no sugar except honey" is referring to more than just sucrose. Otherwise, it's a pointless rule.
Yes, it applies to all other sugars except glucose and fructose. Lactose, sucrose, galactose, etc are all not allowed for the reasons mkopec mentioned (which is basically the premise of how/why the diet is easy on a sensitive stomach)

So far so good. This has been the longest run by far I've gone without cramps and/or flare-ups. One interesting thing is that most literature (and what my doc had been telling me) was to load up on fiber, but that wasn't helping at all. In fact, now that I've been forced to stop loading up on oatmeal and raisin bran (since they aren't allowed) I don't feel bloated anymore, nor does it feel like a bowling ball covered in glass shards is trying to work it's way through my digestive system. Ironically, it's hard to get a lot of fiber in this diet outside of what you get from fruits and vegetables...

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Diverticulitis is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.
Yeah, tell me about it. Especially when you're 40 years old and its typically a condition only old farts and fat people that eat McD's everyday get. Turned 40 and went from perfect health to: diverticulitis, herniated disc, and the testosterone levels of a 65 year old man
frown.png

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Have you checked your garlic levels? That should fix all of that.