Paleo 101: How and why you should eat like a Caveman

The Master

Bronze Squire
I never understood Kobe burgers. The Kobe beef is unique due to the fat striations throughout the meat. So you take that and grind that up... and what is the difference between that and 80/20 ground sirloin? I really don't see it, but I don't have a caveman to explain it to me either.
There is also a difference in the taste, but basically you're right, and anyone who wasted real Kobe on it would be stupid. But pre-2010 unless you were in Japan, you weren't eating Kobe anyway. Now Japan exports avery smallamount of real Kobe to high-end restaurants around the world. The thing is in countries outside of Japan "Kobe" is not a regulated term, so you can put the label on anything.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
chaos, I'm pretty sure you in fact do know what to make of their claims about MSG. My wife always watches those food "documentaries" and they are so littered with absolute bullshit that we basically get into a fight every time she watches one. When you can't publish, you make a propaganda piece and appeal to the naturalistic-fallacy loving retards who demonize things they don't know anything about. Two of the most studies substances on the planet are aspartame and MSG, and they are completely safe. Their claim about MSG being in 80% of processed foods, well what they may be talking about is free glutamate, which is really in the bulk of foods period (processed or not.) For example, what makes bacon taste so good is the high glutamate concentration, which is the G of MSG (monosodium glutamate, it's just a simple ionic bond between sodium and glutamate that dissociates sometimes before the food ever touches your mouth, or basically immediately upon it touching your tongue). The glutamate in MSG is the exact same glutamate in foods that confer the "umami" (delicious, savory) taste to foods. Wiki has a great article on MSG that covers its history, and also covers some (amusing) studies (ie, in a double blinded study, the only person who "reacted" to MSG was a self-identified MSG-sensitive person, and they were actually given placebo, not MSG.)
The reason I said I don't know what to make of it is that the guy in the "documentary" was claiming that companies hide MSG under a variety of different names so that consumers will be unsuspecting. His big evidence that MSG itself is harmful is he says that when researchers want to make mice fat in order to study obesity on mice or whatever, they feed them MSG and the mice blow up to hambeast size. I didn't really take the time to research any of the bullshit on MSG after I found that researching his claims on aspartame was a total waste of time.

Food Inc was a really good documentary, you would think there would be tons of good documentaries about food out there. But I am really having trouble finding anything else worth watching.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
There is also a difference in the taste, but basically you're right, and anyone who wasted real Kobe on it would be stupid. But pre-2010 unless you were in Japan, you weren't eating Kobe anyway. Now Japan exports avery smallamount of real Kobe to high-end restaurants around the world. The thing is in countries outside of Japan "Kobe" is not a regulated term, so you can put the label on anything.
I didn't know there was a taste difference outside of the fat marble throughout the meat. I've never had real Kobe beef, as I suspect most people haven't. Even if there is a taste difference it seems so obscenely wasteful to me given the rarity and expense of Kobe beef. That shit should be cut into steaks, salted and served up rare. It seems like the more you try to manipulate it the more you muddle what makes it special in the first place, and at that point you might as well be eating a steak right out of the supermarket cabinet.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I love me some MSG. My wife throws a fit everytime I use my can of MSG.

accent.jpg

Though once you try a little bit of it on its own it kinda ruins MSG in a way since you longer think, "Wow this beef flavor is so strong" you think, "Wow this beef flavor has a lot of MSG added to it."

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I'd stop eating that stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excitotoxin

Excitotoxicity is the pathological process by which nerve cells are damaged and killed by excessive stimulation by neurotransmitters such as glutamate and similar substances. This occurs when receptors for the excitatory neurotransmitter glutamate (glutamate receptors) such as the NMDA receptor and AMPA receptor are overactivated by Glutamatergic Storm. Excitotoxins like NMDA and kainic acid which bind to these receptors, as well as pathologically high levels of glutamate, can cause excitotoxicity by allowing high levels of calcium ions[2] (Ca2+) to enter the cell. Ca2+ influx into cells activates a number of enzymes, including phospholipases, endonucleases, and proteases such as calpain. These enzymes go on to damage cell structures such as components of the cytoskeleton, membrane, and DNA.
History

The harmful effect of glutamate upon the CNS were first observed in 1954 by T. Hayashi, a Japanese scientist who noted that direct application of glutamate to the CNS caused seizure activity, though this report went unnoticed for several years. The toxicity of glutamate was then observed by D. R. Lucas and J. P. Newhouse in 1957, when the subcutaneous injection of monosodium glutamate to newborn mice destroyed the neurons in the inner layers of the retina.[7] Later, in 1969, John Olney discovered the phenomenon was not restricted to the retina, but occurred throughout the brain, and coined the term excitotoxicity. He also assessed that cell death was restricted to postsynaptic neurons, that glutamate agonists were as neurotoxic as their efficiency to activate glutamate receptors, and that glutamate antagonists could stop the neurotoxicity.[8]

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
BREAKING NEWS! OXYGEN KILLS US! EVERYONE STOP BREATHING!

Seriously, all of you. Just fucking die. Please.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I'd stop eating that stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excitotoxin

Excitotoxicity is the pathological process by which nerve cells are damaged and killed by excessive stimulation by neurotransmitters such as glutamate and similar substances. This occurs when receptors for the excitatory neurotransmitter glutamate (glutamate receptors) such as the NMDA receptor and AMPA receptor are overactivated by Glutamatergic Storm. Excitotoxins like NMDA and kainic acid which bind to these receptors, as well as pathologically high levels of glutamate, can cause excitotoxicity by allowing high levels of calcium ions[2] (Ca2+) to enter the cell. Ca2+ influx into cells activates a number of enzymes, including phospholipases, endonucleases, and proteases such as calpain. These enzymes go on to damage cell structures such as components of the cytoskeleton, membrane, and DNA.
History

The harmful effect of glutamate upon the CNS were first observed in 1954 by T. Hayashi, a Japanese scientist who noted that direct application of glutamate to the CNS caused seizure activity, though this report went unnoticed for several years. The toxicity of glutamate was then observed by D. R. Lucas and J. P. Newhouse in 1957, when the subcutaneous injection of monosodium glutamate to newborn mice destroyed the neurons in the inner layers of the retina.[7] Later, in 1969, John Olney discovered the phenomenon was not restricted to the retina, but occurred throughout the brain, and coined the term excitotoxicity. He also assessed that cell death was restricted to postsynaptic neurons, that glutamate agonists were as neurotoxic as their efficiency to activate glutamate receptors, and that glutamate antagonists could stop the neurotoxicity.[8]
I'd stop posting if I were you. Glutamate is a normally occurring neurotransmitter. There is zero evidence that consuming glutamate in MSG (or in any of the thousands of other food products that have glutamate in it, which is practically everything) causes excitotoxicity. The only "evidence" is injecting mice with ridiculous quantities of it (quantities which of anything would have killed them.) I mean, come on, you have to appreciate the pure thoughtlessness and idiocy of your post, to suggest that eating MSG is going to kill neurons in your brain. Come on. Use your head.

edit: Oh, it's a fanaskin post. nm.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
What papers are you reading on the subject? the actual papers I read and not summeries talk about dangers of using it beyond a tiny amount, look at the slides of the brain cells in this one.

http://archive.ispub.com/journal/the....nLEAtGXl.dpbs

The results (H & E) reactions showed cystic degenerative changes, with some intercellular vacuolations appearing in the stroma of the seminiferous tubules when compared to the control sections. There were atrophic and degenerative changes with the group that received 6g of MSG more severe. The vacuolations observed in the stroma of the treated testis may be due to MSG interference. The toxic effects of MSG on the testis observed in this experiment may underline the possible effects already reported 7,8 . The actual mechanism by which MSG induced cellular degenerative and atrophic changes observed in this experiment needs further investigation. -

The results obtained in this study following the administration of 3g and 6g per day of MSG to adult male Wistar rats causes cystic degeneration, vacuolations and degenerative and atrophic changes, worse in the high dose. In inference these confirm earlier report that MSG may be a cause of male infertility. It is recommended that further studies be carried out to corroborate these findings.

p.s. the rats weren't overdosed it was like 14 days of 3g and 6g out of a 550g meal per day.

Please though continue to enjoy this fine product. In fact I think you should use it more.

The Master

Bronze Squire
I didn't know there was a taste difference outside of the fat marble throughout the meat. I've never had real Kobe beef, as I suspect most people haven't. Even if there is a taste difference it seems so obscenely wasteful to me given the rarity and expense of Kobe beef. That shit should be cut into steaks, salted and served up rare. It seems like the more you try to manipulate it the more you muddle what makes it special in the first place, and at that point you might as well be eating a steak right out of the supermarket cabinet.
Well, there is a lot to be said for properly dry aging the meat (which will make any steak better). And sure, all the cuts of of real Kobe that can be turned into steaks are, but that leaves you with a lot of leftover cow to try things with. The only time I had real Kobe I was in Japan... for six months I just couldn't eat steak again, because I knew it wouldn't taste like that. I got over it eventually but God damn.

Also led to the discovery about Kobe outside of Japan not being real Kobe, since I wanted to buy it and have it again, and when I hit the internet to figure out where to get it I came across articles complaining about it. I need to go back to Japan.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Well, there is a lot to be said for properly dry aging the meat (which will make any steak better). And sure, all the cuts of of real Kobe that can be turned into steaks are, but that leaves you with a lot of leftover cow to try things with. The only time I had real Kobe I was in Japan... for six months I just couldn't eat steak again, because I knew it wouldn't taste like that. I got over it eventually but God damn.

Also led to the discovery about Kobe outside of Japan not being real Kobe, since I wanted to buy it and have it again, and when I hit the internet to figure out where to get it I came across articles complaining about it. I need to go back to Japan.
Hmm. That makes me wonder if I've ever actually had real Kobe beef. To be honest, I don't know if I've even ever had a steak that was advertised to be Kobe beef.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'd stop posting if I were you. Glutamate is a normally occurring neurotransmitter. There is zero evidence that consuming glutamate in MSG (or in any of the thousands of other food products that have glutamate in it, which is practically everything) causes excitotoxicity. The only "evidence" is injecting mice with ridiculous quantities of it (quantities which of anything would have killed them.) I mean, come on, you have to appreciate the pure thoughtlessness and idiocy of your post, to suggest that eating MSG is going to kill neurons in your brain. Come on. Use your head.

edit: Oh, it's a fanaskin post. nm.
That stupid movie that I talked about also said that drinking diet soda literally kills your brain cells as you drink it. Crazy ass crackers.

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
Japan seldom exports kobe beef outside japan, but there is plenty of wagyu breed cattle available, particularly from australia. Kobe beef is really rich, i wouldnt be able to eat an entire steak of it, because its tantamount to eating a stick of butter. Best served as small pieces grilled (yakiniku).