Paleo 101: How and why you should eat like a Caveman

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Better not eat apples then, they are fucking loaded with the stuff! I know you aren't really arguing the point I'm making, but the argument that HFCS is bad is unfounded, it's not some mystical drug. The fact that it's in fucking everything in fairly large amounts? Yeah that's a problem.
I don't think it's possible to get fat on apples. Most foods where fructose is natural also come with a lot of fiber(as Brutul points out), which also makes you feel full.

I will agree, it's specifically HFCS ubiquitousness that is bad, not HFCS itself.

Caliane

huh.. So HFCS is basically honey?

yeah, I'm inclined to say the HFCS thing is a myth. its simply an issue of raw amounts of it in so many foods.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Here's a video of a lecture by the "Science Friday Guy".

Yeah I saw this a while back and I agree with him that sugar is a main component of why people are getting fatter. He cites something like 25lbs fatter over the past 20 years or so. I'm not so big on blaming Coke for it though. If you dont know sodas are making you fat and unhealthy in large quantities by this point I really dont care. I think the bigger point was that sugar is everywhere as either cane or HFCS.

I also liked his connection to Ancel Keys seven countries study, the advice to lower fat because of that study and the resulting uptick in carbohydrate to fill the void.. much of which was sugar (and grains)

I'm sure people here remember the low fat craze. Snackwells and LOW FAT labels on everything. Yeah they took the fat out and replaced it with sugar because food tastes awful without the fat. In any event, yes reducing the sugar you take in is a very good idea.

Paleo and others advocate that as well. So no sugar and eat whole natural foods. The only thing that's even a bit controversial is the no grain (and thus low carb) thing with Paleo. And some variations are more permissive than others, allowing rice and potatoes in significant portions:

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/the-diet/

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Finally. A diet plan with the sensibility of a neolithic hunter and gatherer in mind. Thanks Dashel.

The Adebisi Diet
rrr_img_9434.png
Seriously, jesus christ with the paleo nonsense.

I love the whole caveman angle on this post. No more aspiring to look like or perform like an athlete or celebrity or something. Now we want to be cavemen because...why?

It's healthy, oh that's right. So is not playing video games and drinking soda and eating chips all day. What a shocker.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I love the whole caveman angle on this post. No more aspiring to look like or perform like an athlete or celebrity or something. Now we want to be cavemen because...why?

It's healthy, oh that's right. So is not playing video games and drinking soda and eating chips all day. What a shocker.
Cavemen obviously had this shit down. Cave science bro, it's serious shit. You need to stop cooking your meat if you want to truly be healthy.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
huh.. So HFCS is basically honey?

yeah, I'm inclined to say the HFCS thing is a myth. its simply an issue of raw amounts of it in so many foods.
Trolling? Honey and hcfs are two difference things, even honey vs sugar cane there are plenty of differences between them.

I have been doing paleo as best as possible for 8 months now, and it does help to lose weight. It does not help too much when you want to gain muscle weight =(

Caliane

Trolling? Honey and hcfs are two difference things, even honey vs sugar cane there are plenty of differences between them.

I have been doing paleo as best as possible for 8 months now, and it does help to lose weight. It does not help too much when you want to gain muscle weight =(
except.. theres not really.
honey is fructose-glucose 55 in water to form a syrup. +sucrose and impurities.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
except.. theres not really.
honey is fructose-glucose 55 in water to form a syrup. +sucrose and impurities.
Sorry bro, doesn't look like there's any sucrose in there...

50% fructose, 44% glucose, 3.8% galactose, 1.8% maltose.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=honey&dataset=

I've got my eye on you galactose, you're obviously a tool of Galactus. Meant to ensnare our feeble brains.

In all seriousness, I'd love to see a study where similar(health, physique, etc), and reasonably healthy people strictly adhered to all these different diets and kept as many other factors as possible similar. Full blood work etc before and after.

Also, honey is delicious.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Sorry bro, doesn't look like there's any sucrose in there...

50% fructose, 44% glucose, 3.8% galactose, 1.8% maltose.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=honey&dataset=

I've got my eye on you galactose, you're obviously a tool of Galactus. Meant to ensnare our feeble brains.

In all seriousness, I'd love to see a study where similar(health, physique, etc), and reasonably healthy people strictly adhered to all these different diets and kept as many other factors as possible similar. Full blood work etc before and after.

Also, honey is delicious.
Honey wouldn't have sucrose in it, sucrose is table sugar, which is roughly half fructose and half glucose, which is roughly the same thing as honey and HFCS.

Angry_Ninja_sl

shitlord
Just get the fuck off processed food and with all diets more calories then calories used = fat ass
Also get in mind fat is more calorie dense then carbs or protein so if you load up on high fat meats and don't burn it off you'll be in trouble

Angry_Ninja_sl

shitlord
Right but I think high fiber / High fat / High protein food is in pretty short supply as far as normal diets go or Caveman diet. You could eat a shit load of black beans but then you wouldn't be getting the fat benefits and a lesser does of protein.

Early Paleo diet is high protein low carbs but high energy output. There was no farming in early Africa / Mid East so you would basically be chasing your next meal on foot. Nothing like your average office worker these days

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Eating with lower carbs (not ketosis-inducing level, more like 100-150g a day) seems to be getting easier at least with more restaurants/food companies marketing to lower carb stuff.

iannis

Musty Nester
HFCS is not just artificial honey. It's not the great evil of our time, it's not going murder your pancreas and kidneys in a week or a year or even five years, but it's not "basically just honey". It's high fructose corn syrup. Highly concentrated solid sugar saturated into semi-liquid sugar.

Honey is bee vomit and botulism.

DIABEETUS

At the same time, fats and proteins also cost significantly more metabolic energy to digest and process.

If you eat 2000 calories strictly of fat/protein you end up with 1700ish net calories, where with carbohydrates you end up with 2000(the baseline), if you add a lot of fiber it can increase those divides.
Digestion is a lot more complex than calories in, calories out.
The effect this actually has on weight loss is completely overblown and is a really smal factor. By this I mean the whole food using more energy to digest thing.

People thinking that their lean mass or adding 5lbs for example of lean mass over however long period of time significantly increases their BMR are also misled. Another small factor. Both have impact sure, but it isn't worth nitpicking either.

Paleo advocates will cherry pick research all day in order to find anything that fits their cause, as does anyone pushing an agenda.