Paleo 101: How and why you should eat like a Caveman

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The argument is that we didnt eat grains up until 10k years ago. The hundreds of thousands of years prior we didnt, and many grains aren't especially good for us. Some grains like rice arent harmful, but some like wheat can be really bad for certain people and are not ideal in general. We didnt start using things like vegetable oils until the past couple of decades and they arent good for us either.

No milk on Paleo. I still drink a glass a day but according to this plan milk causes inflammation in the gut, spikes insulin and some other crap. idontcare.jpg

Primal Blueprint says:
We haven't been in outer space for hundreds of thousands of years until the last ~5 decades! Should we stop doing that?

It's really myopic to use arguments like that. Insulin spikes maybe your only shred of scientific evidence. Inflammation of the gut I'm betting is related to lactose intolerance.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just get the vibe that paleo is confused between whole grains and refinded grains? Whole grains with all the fiber, healthy fats, vitamins, minerals, etc.. are good for you: its when you refine them that turns them to shit because it robs all those good things from it? That's always been my understanding anyway

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
We haven't been in outer space for hundreds of thousands of years until the last ~5 decades! Should we stop doing that?

It's really myopic to use arguments like that. Insulin spikes maybe your only shred of scientific evidence. Inflammation of the gut I'm betting is related to lactose intolerance.
I'm a little out of my comfort zone, as I haven't sat there and read much of the research on this stuff. But, I've never met anyone who talks about dietary "inflammation" that can even provide a basic 12th grade biology level definition of the word. We constantly have inflammation going on in our body. Without it, we'd likely die from even the smallest wound or infection. Inflammation is sometimes/more often than not/usually a (I haven't sat here and quantified it) good thing, but when it goes unchecked it can become a bad thing (ie, chronic lower esophageal inflammation from gastric reflux leading to adenocarcinoma.) The mere presence of food in the colon likely triggers small amounts of inflammation, after all we're secreting gastric acid into the stomach (which of course can protect itself from it, but have you heard of ulcers?). And with digestion, as we move food through the colon, we're pushing food up against delicate epithelial membranes that get damaged and slough off, and localized inflammatory responses trigger the production of new membranes and healing in the gut. But with regards to people who usually are speaking about diets, I haven't seen any data that shows a measurable increase in systemic inflammation upon drinking milk. Ie, elevations in ESR/CRP or other acute phase reactants. I may be wrong, but I haven't come across it, and if it's out there, I'm betting it's pretty insignificant.

Behemoth_sl

shitlord
Didn't paleolithic humans only live to be 40 tops? I doubt they went around thinking hey! look at those red berries I've never seen before let me eat a whole bunch and hope I don't die! I bet it went more like this..... Son, we only eat this, this, and this because we know it won't immediately kill us. So while the truth might be humans ate this way for a majority of our time on Earth it doesn't mean newer foods are inherently bad. Obesity is an epidemic of the mind more than it is anything. There exist zero people on earth who would remain obese if they burned a proportional amount of calories as they intake. There have been several people who copied the "Super Size Me" diet but exercised enough to burn off what they ate and had no weight gain or ill effects.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yet again, no. Neither should you stop driving cars, watching TV, using the internet, taking modern medicine when necessary, getting any needed surgery done or even eating food that people didnt have access to 20,000 years ago if it is shown to be healthy. Cavemen didnt eat olives, olives are ok on the diet because they are a good source of fat.

Knock yourself out:http://robbwolf.com/2011/01/12/hey-r...ets-are-bogus/
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...522456636.html

Something is causing heart disease and diabetes with the western diet. I'm pretty convinced sugar is a big part and perhaps refined grains are too. I don't know but I'm trying to eliminate them and see how it goes.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Should I brush my teeth or just chew some minty gum?

Better ask Robb Wolf.

Something is causing heart disease and diabetes with the western diet. I'm pretty convinced sugar is a big part and perhaps refined grains are too. I don't know but I'm trying to eliminate them and see how it goes.
You are convinced? Are ya? Really? Because your massive research over a 3 week period into the diet that you are currently following, pushed by people who have their own version of the diet, and therefore their agenda completely revolves around the diet, has flat out convinced you?

3 weeks mother fuckers, and now Dashel will live until 108.

Maybe it's because you are a gullible moron.

lemming.jpg

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yes, I'm convinced there is a lot of sugar in the standard american diet and it's not a good thing. But if that doesnt convince you, just look at the people on this thread raging over it. If the sea otter and Duppin hate it you know it's good. Adebisi has his own agenda, he doesnt want the curvy ladies getting skinny.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Yes, I'm convinced there is a lot of sugar in the standard american diet and it's not a good thing. But if that doesnt convince you, just look at the people on this thread raging over it. If the sea otter and Duppin hate it you know it's good. Adebisi has his own agenda, he doesnt want the curvy ladies getting skinny.
Sure, Duppin is usually a fucking retard. However, even Tards can be correct on occasion and this is one. There are many things that contribute to heart disease. You can't single out one and ignore the rest. Mr 3 weeks.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
You disagree sugar is a problem? I would think that's an easy one to agree on. Grains are one thing, but looking on every package and seeing sugar in one form or another is something everyone seems to be getting.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Oh no a couple of internet people think I am a retard. Whatever shall I do?

Sugar being in a lot of things doesn't automatically equal it being a problem. You're basically being a food hipster, disliking something because it's popular.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
You disagree sugar is a problem? I would think that's an easy one to agree on. Grains are one thing, but looking on every package and seeing sugar in one form or another is something everyone seems to be getting.
I never disagreed that the over consumption of sugar is a problem. I even wrote that you can't just single one contributor. Diet science simply isn't that straight forward.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sugar is a problem, refined foods are a problem. That's the bulk of this diet. People question the grains and that's fine but if you're avoiding the pizza, bagels, bread and pasta I think that's a good thing regardless. Too much of that shit will make you fat. Meanwhile by adopting an 80/20 adherence you dont have to be anal about everything.

I like it. Working for me. Long term I'm adding in rice and things like oatmeal and potatoes.

Long term I'm adding in rice and things like oatmeal and potatoes.
So why did you create a post that spawned a 28 page thread on a diet you swear has worked for you over a nice scientific 3 weeks, but have conceded you don't even follow religiously and are planning on straying from it completely.

Where did this fucking guy come from? Are we being catfished?

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Sugar is a problem, refined foods are a problem. That's the bulk of this diet. People question the grains and that's fine but if you're avoiding the pizza, bagels, bread and pasta I think that's a good thing regardless. Too much of that shit will make you fat. Meanwhile by adopting an 80/20 adherence you dont have to be anal about everything.

I like it. Working for me. Long term I'm adding in rice and things like oatmeal and potatoes.
I'm just curious. When you write declarative statements like these, are you aware that you know essentially nothing about what you're stating?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Sugar is a problem, refined foods are a problem. That's the bulk of this diet.
See I think you're stretching here. The bulk of the paleolithic diet is 'eat like we evolved to eat' which excludes a lot more than large consumption of sugar and refined foods. Call it a natural or organic diet, call it a good diet, call it what you want, but the paleolithic title demands more than just cutting out refined foods and sugar.