Palia

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I wonder if this will have more or less daily chores than WoW?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The Turtles Make It To the Water song is a crime against humanity.

• 1Solidarity

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
you can tell because the art has that veneer of f2p mobile trash

Not much worse than EQ Next, honestly.

I mean I get it. You want as many people to be able to play it as possible (as well as tablets eventually) so you make it not a graphics heavy game. Genshin Impact proved that business model. However, I do miss the gritty look that older MMOs had. I wish they could find a happy medium on that sort of thing.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
This game will be important to answer the question of whether or not American-made AAA MMORPGs deserve to exist anymore. There are a couple of things about it that sound good - they're already funded and they're designing for and marketing to a niche audience with a particular type of game. Starting with a 50-person team for a niche game is concerning to me, but if they can pull off what Star Stable Online did, then that's a net positive for the industry.

All that being said, I don't see it as the type of game that most people on this board would enjoy.

He's getting excited about a clip from the next Disney film? We still get hyped for cinematics? BORING cinematics at that.

For what it's worth, this is in-engine footage. I wouldn't exactly call that a "cinematic," which are usually deceptive CGI-rendered videos made by separate animation studios.

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
Not much worse than EQ Next, honestly.

I mean I get it. You want as many people to be able to play it as possible (as well as tablets eventually) so you make it not a graphics heavy game. Genshin Impact proved that business model. However, I do miss the gritty look that older MMOs had. I wish they could find a happy medium on that sort of thing.
EQ Next was destined to be this exact sort of trash so it's better it was binned.

And that old look vanished forever when the market opened up to kids and the aforementioned middle-aged cat ladies en masse. Budget cartoon worlds populated by non-threatening retarded babyface characters are here to stay.

• 1Like

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
If this game doesn't have a mobile version then it'll never reach its target demo.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Palia is a massively-multiplayer community simulation game set in a brand new high fantasy world with elements of open world adventure games. It’s a cozy and welcoming world that we hope fans of the community sim genre will love for years to come.

Where is Genghis Khan when you need him? Those people are just begging to be pillaged, etc..

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Stardew Valley is one of my favorite games I think ever. MMO stardew? Sure thing.

Also: EQ was cartoony as fuck. It was "gritty" because it used bitmaps on polygons and most monsters looked like shit. I mean, you just gotta link pictures of troll or ogre models to get the idea. Remember when EQ2 tried to stay "gritty" and it's artwork was ugly as fuck and basically universally panned? So much so that Sony hired an art team to asian it up with the SoGa models? How many people complained when Luclin went with the shitty newer models and dropped the heavily stylized look of vanilla-velious EQ?

I'll never understand that kind of hatred for the art direction of most modern games. Sure it's subjective, but the "gritty" stuff was just as cartoony as modern stuff, only run on substantially shittier hardware and with much lower poly counts. A WoW character was substantially better animated and had much more time and energy put into it than Luclin or EQ2 models, which were within the same window that WoW was being developed. I don't even think that point is arguable.

• 2Like
  • 1Slow
Reactions: 2 users

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
I can't wait to do some hardcore farmings with y'all! World 1st watermelon harvest anyone?

• 1Like

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
Stardew Valley is one of my favorite games I think ever. MMO stardew? Sure thing.

Also: EQ was cartoony as fuck. It was "gritty" because it used bitmaps on polygons and most monsters looked like shit. I mean, you just gotta link pictures of troll or ogre models to get the idea. Remember when EQ2 tried to stay "gritty" and it's artwork was ugly as fuck and basically universally panned? So much so that Sony hired an art team to asian it up with the SoGa models? How many people complained when Luclin went with the shitty newer models and dropped the heavily stylized look of vanilla-velious EQ?

I'll never understand that kind of hatred for the art direction of most modern games. Sure it's subjective, but the "gritty" stuff was just as cartoony as modern stuff, only run on substantially shittier hardware and with much lower poly counts. A WoW character was substantially better animated and had much more time and energy put into it than Luclin or EQ2 models, which were within the same window that WoW was being developed. I don't even think that point is arguable.
"Gritty" is just a catch-all that describes anything that isn't this faggot shit:

1623261556027.png

As cartoonish and highly stylized as EQ and especially WoW are, they're still gritty compared to that. While the above seems superficially pleasant it has a quality to it that's cheap and plastic, a paint-by-numbers approach that reveals the surely vacuous core of the game beneath.

Last edited:

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
As we all know, the graphics of the game dictate quality

• 1Solidarity

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
As we all know, the graphics of the game dictate quality
People always invoke this bullshit "diamond in the rough" notion to decouple visuals from gameplay as if it can be commonly applied. Far more often than not, games that have objectively (yes, art is objective) bad graphics/animation are bad games overall.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

This. EQ did have tons of goofy shit that was limited by the graphics of the time. OG Ogres and Trolls for one Aaaaaaaannnd

Whole zones full of these SUPER SERIOUS GRITTY MOFOS

1623266857377.png

Frogloks seriously the greatest homebrew monster type ever lol.