Parent Thread

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
We also have what I like to call "dynamic" conversations on the fly in the car with my kids.

They were singing that Kesha song Timber? Timburrr? Something stupid involving timber. I asked them if they thought they knew what it meant. I then proceeded to ruin the song for them by explaining what sporting wood is and how it all can correlate to a chick shouting timber as the dude cums. Now was that the point of the song as it was written? Who knows, but they ask me to change it every time it comes on the radio. That is good parenting right there imo
biggrin.png

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
a_skeleton_03 beats us all at parenting. Nicely done.

My 5 year old talks about death a lot, but I do not think she has any real concept of it. When her fish died she kept asking when they would come back, which we explained wouldn't happen. Then she transitioned to asking for a new fish.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
We also have what I like to call "dynamic" conversations on the fly in the car with my kids.

They were singing that Kesha song Timber? Timburrr? Something stupid involving timber. I asked them if they thought they knew what it meant. I then proceeded to ruin the song for them by explaining what sporting wood is and how it all can correlate to a chick shouting timber as the dude cums. Now was that the point of the song as it was written? Who knows, but they ask me to change it every time it comes on the radio. That is good parenting right there imo
biggrin.png
Oh man I dread the day when I have to keep up with current "pop" music to have an idea what my kid is exposed to. I'd rather metal.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Oh man I dread the day when I have to keep up with current "pop" music to have an idea what my kid is exposed to. I'd rather metal.
I was thinking about this the other day. I'm big into music, and going to concerts and as a kid in the 80s and going to highschool/college in the 90s I still often listen to hair metal, grunge, and that kind of stuff. My kid is only 1 year old right now, eventually when I expose him to that kind of music it's going to be older to him than my parents exposing me to the Beatles and Beach boys was when I was a kid in the early 80s. Damn, I'm old. Who knows what kind of weirdass music will be big a decade from now when my kid starts making his own decisions about what music he likes.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
My son luckily enough likes 70's but keeping up with the girls' listening habits is rough.

What I did was create them a shared Spotify account. They can make their own playlists and sync them offline. That way I can just glance at their playlists and google the lyrics. Unless they start getting into something crazy I won't restrict anything. I have told them that music is a pretty personal decision so as long as it isn't raunchy rap I probably won't care if there is some minor cursing unless it comes out there mouth.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Is it wrong that I'm a proud father that my son shot up quite a bit in percentiles going from 12 to 15 months? Just had the 15 month check in and vaccinations, and my son is a big boy! Love it! I'm also big and tall, 6'6" , so to see him follow makes me super happy. haha! 98 percentile for height, 87 for weight.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Haha nah I'm with ya, my son has always been in the high percentiles for height and weight, though I'm only 6' even. He looks a lot older than he is, and my wife is concerned that people will have too many expectations due to thinking he's older and think he's dumb or something - apparently that happened to her brother when he was a toddler.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
My youngest daughter was, at one point, like 50ish% for height and 90% for head circumference. That made me laugh.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Big ol' melon! haha. My son is 99th percentile for head circumference since the first measurements were taken. He's always had a big head. I figure that he's just super smart and has a big brain... right? lol

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
My daughter was the exact opposite. She was 99.6% for height and 7% for head circumference. Her weight was always in the 50% range. Half asian kids... what do you do?

I'm 6'4 198 lbs. My wife is 5'0 and 105.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Has anyone else ever wondered if the reason we never see adults in the Charlie Brown cartoons is because the kids' heads are so big, they killed all the women during childbirth, and the men are now out working all the time to support their families?

Thengel

Golden Knight of the Realm
Has anyone else ever wondered if the reason we never see adults in the Charlie Brown cartoons is because the kids' heads are so big, they killed all the women during childbirth, and the men are now out working all the time to support their families?
No, I have never wondered that.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
My little one is 95% for height and 15% for weight at 5 months. He looks like such a pole, I feel bad for the kid.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We have friends whose 8 month old daughter is in the 3rd percentile. She can't even sit up on her own. Apparently their doctor doesn't have a problem with it but she looks like a newborn still.

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
I have 13 year old twins. One boy and one girl. We had "the talk" around 11 and a half and was pretty up front about it all. We kind of monitored different conversations and web searches and school curriculum for that timing.

I wouldn't say 9 would be way too early but kind of a bit early as a boy myself.
That's good to know, I have 4yr twins , a boy and a girl as well. Even now they are asking where babies are from.