Parent Thread

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Ideally, as close to the center of the vehicle as you can get. If you have a lone child, they go in the middle of the backseat if its a normal 4-door car. If you have 3 rows, they go in the middle row, etc.

Basically the order of danger from most to least goes:
front
back
sides

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
So can we have a conversation about car seats? lol...

Just had our 2nd child, and we just bought a new mini van. I was really surprised when my wife said the kids go in the 2nd row, on the 2 captains chairs, instead of strapped into the bench seat in the back. This is annoying to me, as the 2 captains chairs are super comfy, have reclining feature, and tons of leg room. Where as the back is pretty cramped, like I think most mini vans. Just seems stupid.

Or am I stupid for thinking the kids would go back there? Wife says, well then how can you take care of the kids. And I'm like this is a mini van, not a sedan. NO one in the front is reaching the kids in the back. Just isn't working.

Help me out bros. What's the way to do it?
They should go in the 2nd row for sure.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That makes a lot of sense. I was just sad I think to taking up the 2 comfy captain's chairs, with baby seats. haha! But right after I posted that, we went out to dinner, and all rode in the van for the first time. Pretty happy about it.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
That makes a lot of sense. I was just sad I think to taking up the 2 comfy captain's chairs, with baby seats. haha! But right after I posted that, we went out to dinner, and all rode in the van for the first time. Pretty happy about it.
What, were you hoping to sit in those chairs or something?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
backseat-driver-car.jpg

Crone

What, were you hoping to sit in those chairs or something?
Not for myself, but other family and stuff. The backseat doesn't have really any leg room, while the 2nd row does, making it great spot to sit. It's all good. It's just a great spot for the kids now instead.
smile.png

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
An article on a school where kids pick what, if anything, they do/learn each day. Really thought-provoking. We've been doing a lot of looking into various types of schools, even though our son is not quite 2, because we really want to find damn near anything other than a regular public school for him. I have a lot of issues with the public school system (as does my wife), both in how they teach, what they teach, and who teaches it. Suffice it to say I think our school system is jacked. Anyways, I thought this was really neat, and others might find it interesting. One common thread I see running through all the non-traditional schools where the kids end up doing quite well is, they don't force kids to sit in classrooms for 7 hours a day. We simply aren't meant to learn that way as kids, and I'll be damned if I force my son to endure the same shit I did.

Education: Class Dismissed | Psychology Today

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Kids sure are unpredictable.

our 1 year old sleeps like a champ, 8pm to 7am every day. Has been that way for months. All of a sudden last night he wakes up at 3am screaming and crying. Wife gets up to hold/rock him back to sleep, no go. 30 minutes later and he's still screaming and crying. Then we swap and I try the same, rock him, walk around the house with him, etc. Nada. At this point its well past 4am and he's still inconsolable. I finally just turn on the living room light, set him down, and he just goes over to his toy box and starts playing like its the middle of the day. He was up for the day at that point, my wife fed him breakfast at 5am.

So yeah, I got about 3 hours of sleep last night, that was awesome. I don't know what the hell was up with that, but I hope it doesn't become a regular occurrence.

I don't think I ever had that problem with my kids. I mean sure they would wake up at random times and try to stay awake, but it didn't last longer then the time it took to slam dunk them back in to bed with a little comforting to smooth the road. I think my kids learned early that you don't mess with dad's sleep schedule. So that was nice.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Ours is turning into a manipulating calculating little piece...

Daycare gives stickers for using the potty (she's in 2nd year now and they encourage 2nd year kids to use the potty).
We decided to do the same because, why not. She had been really eager to use the potty earlier this year, and that ebbed off a bit over time, so stickers might re-kindle her love for the potty.
I even offered doubles for taking a dump but she's not really fond of that.

Anyway, she managed to use the potty 5 (five) times in 15 minutes yesterday morning and 6 (six) times in 20 minutes yesterday evening. Always with the result of more or less piss in the thing. Never stood up to an empty one. She's holding some back to maximize her stickers per hour ratio.

Crone

Lol, dat sticker! 100% see my 18 month old doing the same thing very soon!

Joeboo, as for your son, could it have been a night terror? nightmare? Could of been he was afraid to go back to sleep.
frown.png
Poor little guy.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Kids sure are unpredictable.

our 1 year old sleeps like a champ, 8pm to 7am every day. Has been that way for months. All of a sudden last night he wakes up at 3am screaming and crying. Wife gets up to hold/rock him back to sleep, no go. 30 minutes later and he's still screaming and crying. Then we swap and I try the same, rock him, walk around the house with him, etc. Nada. At this point its well past 4am and he's still inconsolable. I finally just turn on the living room light, set him down, and he just goes over to his toy box and starts playing like its the middle of the day. He was up for the day at that point, my wife fed him breakfast at 5am.

So yeah, I got about 3 hours of sleep last night, that was awesome. I don't know what the hell was up with that, but I hope it doesn't become a regular occurrence.
Could be teeth. We have been dealing with something similiar at least once a week for 2 months now. Turns out our daughter is getting 7 teeth at once including her 2 year old molars (she's 14 months old).

Basically every other night is a good night where she'll sleep through the night. Other nights its a gamble, sometimes she wakes up screaming an hour after falling asleep and can go right back down but other nights its a 2 hour ordeal trying to calm her down. Other nights she wakes up 2-3 times in the middle of the night but is pretty easy to get back to sleep. Sometimes she is up screaming at 4 A.M. and we actually just bring her into our room and she sleeps in bed with us for a couple hours until she is up for the day.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Could be teeth. He's 14 months and already had all of his teeth completely in up to the 2 year molars as of 12 months. Didn't expect those for a while but they might be showing up early, I'l have to do a closer inspection...

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah we were surprised when the doctor said the two year molars were coming in at 13-14 months but definitely possible.

lindz

#DDs
Random question. Do your kids say the pledge of allegiance at school?

I'm Canadian so obviously I have no idea wtf this is about, but my kids say it every morning at school and it bothers me to no end. It just feels like brainwashing bullshit and is really starting to bother me. Yes I know my kids are American and we choose to live in America, but pledging fealty to a freaking flag every single day... creepy as fuck to me.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
We did it every day when I was a kid. I guess it's a bit odd, but I can't say I gave it much mind as a kid.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah, my kids say it, too, though I'd prefer they don't. I agree that daily recitation of this seems excessive.

On another note, my oldest kids go to a different school where they say the Lord's prayer every day, and that bothers me not at all. There's an invitation to say it, not a demand. If you don't want to, you don't, and no one is saying anything about it. That does not seem the same to me with the Pledge of Allegiance. There's one girl in my youngest son's class who does not say it for religious reasons, but she had to get a letter from a religious leader and demonstrate how it would offend her religious rights to be forced to say it. There's no easy opt-out for the Pledge. Seems problematic.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
What do they do if your kid just doesn't say the pledge of allegiance? I don't think we were forced to say either the pledge or prayers(I went to Catholic private school up until high school). You could just not say it, right?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Actually, kids get into trouble, and parents are called in if they refuse to say the pledge, though I'm sure that could be unique to that school.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Random question. Do your kids say the pledge of allegiance at school?

I'm Canadian so obviously I have no idea wtf this is about, but my kids say it every morning at school and it bothers me to no end. It just feels like brainwashing bullshit and is really starting to bother me. Yes I know my kids are American and we choose to live in America, but pledging fealty to a freaking flag every single day... creepy as fuck to me.
My kids say it and I did in elementary school but for some reason can't remember doing it in middle/high school. It's actually a law on the state level where students are required to recite the pledge. I'm kind of indifferent on the whole thing since I did it myself as a child. My daughter also said the Lords prayer in Pre-k and I didn't see an issue with that either.