Parent Thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Breast feeding and we wake him up every 2 to 3 hours. My point was he is obviously in pain for an hour while he's basically sharting his pants

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Check some things that your wife is eating on the net to see if it passes through to breast milk and can cause gas.

Is he pooping? Should be seed looking if he is on breast milk. If he isn't pooping that could be causing the gas / pain. You can help him a long easily enough if that is the issue.

You don't have to wake him up every 2 hours. Every 4 is just fine if he is sleeping then let him be until its 4 hours and wake him up. Don't let him fall asleep on the boob or bottle, keep him stimulated so he gets a full feed.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Another thing to look into is that Mom's milk might not have fully come in yet so the crying could be from being hungry. My friends dealt with that for the first little bit, took her a while before the milk came all the way in. They had to supplement with some formula.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Sorry to hear about your little guys problems noodle. Poor guy
frown.png

Our little guy responded great to the photo therapy and I could see a difference this morning. Plan is to take him home later today.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah we got that stuff and it cleared the farts up like 80%. Hes still screaming his head off all night but at least the gas is mostly gone. I had to teach my wife how to burp him, she was being way too gentle.

The problem now is overnight he will only sleep in the cradle for 30 minutes before he gets pissed. We tried letting him cry it out a bit, but definitely didn't let up

Gonna set up his swing today and see if he will sleep in it. I'll take anything at this point

Larnix

Blackwing Lair Raider
With our son we learned the hard way that my wife could not eat anything with cabbage or cauliflower in it or it would give the little me horrid gas, Its weird that something the mom eats can pass on to the baby like that but its true. We had a midwife come over and show us ways to help them pass gas. It was fun making my son basically fart on command.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Damn I need to learn how to do that. Lol

He had a fart the other day and his diaper was touching against my shirt. I felt the damn fart through the diaper and on my shirt.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Damn I need to learn how to do that. Lol

He had a fart the other day and his diaper was touching against my shirt. I felt the damn fart through the diaper and on my shirt.
Haha that's funny. In the hospital I was cradling him by having my hand on his ass. He ripped a fart that was so loud and forceful and my hand moved and it shot him awake. Pulled down his pants and his diaper had shot off his ass and you could see where the shotgun blast (shitgun?) Landed.

Arative

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We used the enfamil gentle formula for gassy babies, workled like a charm. Ymmv
We went from Enfamil newborn to the gentlease to the nutramigen to Baby's only organic before we had a formula that really calmed my son down in terms of gas and fussiness. The two big differences between enfamil and baby's only is that enfamil uses high fructose corn syrup and baby's only uses brown rice syrup as its main carb source. For the added DHA, enfamil gets it by putting an algae in a hexane based solvent and baby's only gets its DHA from egg yolks. The difference in my son was night and day, he goes to sleep easier, he's less fussy. The only downside is that brown rice syrup is harder to digest and it caused some constipation but a little white grape juice in his bottle cleared that up.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
His first poop caught us by surprise. It was 3 very loud rapid blasts out of nowhere. Like make 3 LOUD raspberry noises with your mouth and that's what it sounded like. We both busted out laughing much to her dismay after the c-section. No no don't make me laugh!! Lol

I was telling my brother we need to paint a bullseye and when Nolan shits see if we can hit the target from 10 feet away. I have no doubt it'd fly at least that far.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Yeah we got that stuff and it cleared the farts up like 80%. Hes still screaming his head off all night but at least the gas is mostly gone. I had to teach my wife how to burp him, she was being way too gentle.

The problem now is overnight he will only sleep in the cradle for 30 minutes before he gets pissed. We tried letting him cry it out a bit, but definitely didn't let up

Gonna set up his swing today and see if he will sleep in it. I'll take anything at this point
Are you using formula as well as breast milk? If not go buy some gentalease from enfamil and start supplementing.

Has he been pooping? How many times a day?

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Has he been pooping? How many times a day?
Breastfed babies can often go long periods of time without pooping. They are so incredibly efficient at digesting it that there is often little-to-no waste. For the first two months we were only getting like one poop a week out of my daughter.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We are avoiding supplementing formula right now, if it stays bad we'll reconsider. He eats every 2-3 hours, sometimes earlier if he is hungry. Seems better with gas today, no real issues. Still screaming his head off for no reason, but I know it isn't farts now.

He poops 2-3 times a day, it's a mustard/light brown with cottage cheese in it. As far as I know that's normal. Sounds like someone opening a floodgate when he takes a shit too, you can hear it across the room.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Yeah, that sounds pretty normal for poop consistency.

When you have your first check-up they should tell you how much weight he's lost (all babies lose some after birth) and will be able to give you an idea if he is getting enough to eat or not. Hopefully the screaming will ease up for you soon! Unfortunately sometimes a baby is just screamy. :/

*edit: On another note I'm still leaning towards the idea that he might not be getting enough to eat as the reason he is so crabby.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Haha that's funny. In the hospital I was cradling him by having my hand on his ass. He ripped a fart that was so loud and forceful and my hand moved and it shot him awake. Pulled down his pants and his diaper had shot off his ass and you could see where the shotgun blast (shitgun?) Landed.
what the fuck