Parent Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
My kids go through phases where they seem to get sick all the damn time, and then times when they seem to somehow avoid it. I sear they had hand,foot,mouth for like 2 months straight once. It is worrying with infants because everything can be something more dramatic, but once they get past that it is just meh, sick again.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
the 5 month old has slept through the night 3 of the last 4 nights(8pm to 6am), I'm hoping to god it's a sign that this is becoming the normal routine. He'd done it a handful of times before, but never with any consistency. I feel like a new person, so does my wife.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Teething, breastmilk IgG concentration decline, increased exposure to antigens etc, are bound to have an impact soon'ish. Enjoy it while it lasts
smile.png

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
the 5 month old has slept through the night 3 of the last 4 nights(8pm to 6am), I'm hoping to god it's a sign that this is becoming the normal routine. He'd done it a handful of times before, but never with any consistency. I feel like a new person, so does my wife.
We had a relatively long period (almost 2 months) of peace where our son slept through the night. Then teething began... He's just faking you guys out joeboo, sorry to break it to you.

OneofOne

My kids go through phases where they seem to get sick all the damn time, and then times when they seem to somehow avoid it. I sear they had hand,foot,mouth for like 2 months straight once. It is worrying with infants because everything can be something more dramatic, but once they get past that it is just meh, sick again.
Yeah that makes some sense. Guess I thought we could avoid everything I'd heard from friends/family about daycare making their kids sick all the time, since he's at home. Not!

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah that makes some sense. Guess I thought we could avoid everything I'd heard from friends/family about daycare making their kids sick all the time, since he's at home. Not!
Kids, especially younger ones are going to get sick all the time. Yes they are more susceptible to it in daycare, but the one thing I'll say about that is it feels like it's almost built up an immunity in my daughter. She got everything under the sun when she was in daycare and since she went to elementary school, she hardly gets anything.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
How do ya'll handle others taking care of your baby "not your way"?

Some of my frustrations
1: Sleeping on belly
2: Feeding them solids at pre-two months (instead of 4months min starting)
3: smoking around baby
4: smoking outside but immediately handling baby so all his clothes/bags/items smell like smoke
5: just letting him cry for hours
6: feeding him with cup, 6month, 8month nipples instead of 0-3 month nipples, when he is pre-twomonths
7: blowing through (my) diapers at every little dampening
8: snack feeding: 0.2 to 2.5 ounces every 40mins to 2hours instead of 3-5 ounces every 3-5 hours.

9: Not putting things back. I like to have a burp cloth/bib and pacifier in our three main rooms. When somebody not me takes the baby shift, the components cluster (all three pacifiers in the den for example) - or get lost.

perps: His mother, her mother

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
1. Isn't there a medical issue here?
2. Choking Hazard, get stern.
3. Fuck that mess, get stern as fuck.
4. IMHO: Deal with it, the smell isn't the toxic part. Ask politely if anything.
5. Attending to every need can be almost as bad as neglect. Hours is extreme, but the baby does need to learn some self-coping mechanisms as much as it needs comfort.
6. Again, chocking hazard. Fuck them, bitch them out for this shit.
7. Polite talk here. Its costing you money, but isn't endangering the baby.
8. I'm not up to date on everything baby, but the important part of ensuring nutrition; If thats the only way he'll eat (or is it drink?) from them, then let it slide.
9. Again, polite request.

Thats my take on it. Definitely chew ass over the smoking around the baby.

Source on the smoking around the baby: I'm a foster parent. In Texas, your license can be revoked for smoking in the same house as any age foster child, even if in entirely separate ends of the house: That shit has to be kept outside.

Cyni

Lord Nagafen Raider
This is a weird dynamic that I see between mothers , they feel the need to exert some sort of control and tend to COMPLETELY disregard any boundaries or rules you set when they look after them. It is ONLY mothers, dads will do whatever the fuck you say, but moms you might as well tear up any sheet or information you provide, they don't read a fucking thing and do what they "remember" doing when they had kids (even though its often not even what they did back in the day). "I've had kids too you know..." passive aggressive bullshit whenever you call them on it.

Its really weird and ALL mothers seem to do it. So fucking annoying.

Some of my frustrations
4: smoking outside but immediately handling baby so all his clothes/bags/items smell like smoke
6: feeding him with cup, 6month, 8month nipples instead of 0-3 month nipples, when he is pre-twomonths
8: snack feeding: 0.2 to 2.5 ounces every 40mins to 2hours instead of 3-5 ounces every 3-5 hours.

9: Not putting things back. I like to have a burp cloth/bib and pacifier in our three main rooms. When somebody not me takes the baby shift, the components cluster (all three pacifiers in the den for example) - or get lost.

1. This isn't negotiable. What the ever loving fuck.
2. What kind of solids? There's some dated info out there regarding rice cereal and I've given him a finger (partial finger) of icing from his month bday cake (tiny, tiny amount).
3. What the ever loving fuck.
4. Sucks but roll with it.
5. Cry it out is NOT ok for infants younger than 6 months. You cant 'spoil' a child that young. I'm heartbroken just reading that they let your 2 month old do this
frown.png
6. Not ok but probably the least egregious of the not oks.
7. My kid hates pee diapers. This is life for us anyways.
8. If the kid is legit hungry, follow his cues.
9. I mean this is probably you just being annoyed.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
@Sacel
1, 3, 4,
You don't put a baby to sleep on the belly until it is able to turn from supine to prone position. It's one of the 3 take home advice given to parents for SIDS prevention here in Northern Europe. No smoking and temperature monitoring (baby should not be sweating) are the other 2. There are exceptions to this, NICU procedures f.inst. - but take home advice for parents are as stated. Same goes for smoking outside - particles are stuck in the clothes (also if you cannot 'smell them'). Don't smoke around babies, period.

2) The kidneys of babies <4mo are not mature enough to excrete excess proteins, minerals, electrolytes etc. Feeding your baby solids before, on average, 4 months puts tremendous stress on the not yet fully developed renal filtration system. This causes buildup of urea etc, and it is harmful to your baby's health. Don't do it!
Babies should primarily be feed breastmilk, or formula, pref til they're 6 mo. Gradually switch to a combination of breastmilk/formula and solids from 4/6 mo until 12 mo, as breastmilk/formula alone is not enough at this point. After 12 mo the immunological benefits of breastmilk declines substantially (IgG etc), but if you can and have the option of breastfeeding it's well worth it as a supplement to solids for the nutritional value alone. At 18 mo they should eat what you eat, micro bites and nothing too solid as to avoid choking, naturally.

5) I've seen no evidence of the benefit of this. Babies do not yet have 'intent'. Frontal cortex is barely even worth mentioning here, really. Attaching manipulative intent beyond basal needs to a baby's crying is stupid. If they cry there's usually a good reason - even if one cannot identify it immediately. I'd never leave a baby crying for hours. Never, ever.

6) Yeah, this can be hazardous, choking wise. Don't get too hooked up on the numbers or sizes vs age though. The rule of thumb is, that the flow has to follow your baby, not the other way around. If the baby chokes and spits up a lot, the flow is too great - decrease the size. This is assuming your child is healthy. Contrast: you can feed newborns fine with a 2cl cup if they are having problems suckling.

7) Babies need diaper changes often - every 1-4 hours for the first couple of months. There is nothing like a red or wet bottom that makes a baby cry and generally uncomfortable. I'd change diapers as often as possible here - don't be cheap. You'll regret it a million times over.

8) You're caught up in numbers and the desire for schedule. The regime is this: Your baby cannot go hungry - feed it as often as it needs. Always. There is no such thing as an unnecessary 'snack'. Your baby needs building blocks to grow - and hypoglycemia is a threat. Holding back here is not an option. The hunger signals is what you have to be good at: early stage signals such as rapid eye movement, suckling motions, leg and arm movements, hands to mouth. Later: unrest, grizzle, intermittent crying, and (too) late stage: relentless crying, body movement and redness of face. Food. Now.

That being said, in a grander perspective it's beneficial to have grandparent-child relations - especially later on when you want a nap, need new baby clothes, or a shoulder to cry on. Don't alienate your family completely :)

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Shockingly I agree with Etoille on almost all points. When the farthest points in the universe collide to agree on an issue, its probably right.

The counterpoint is that your baby's mother and her mother are probably going to listen to you on parenting issues about as well as wives listen to you on anything, which is to say not at all. Probably best to pick a few of these and pick battle carefully, rather than going to war.

OneofOne

Guess I'm just a dick. Well, no, I am. Her mom smokes, and we made it very clear she has to wash her hands before handling the baby. No ifs, and, or buts - our kid our rules. She's never been allowed to be around him unsupervised and likely won't for quite a while (bit of pre-baby drama there) so haven't experienced the rest. My mom is coming out to meet her grandson for the first time next month, and stay with us a few days, so we'll see how that goes. He's older now so shouldn't be nearly the issues you have.

Basically I'm of the opinion that "my kid, my rules - can't handle it? see ya!" ESPECIALLY with the safety stuff. My son's life/health > our moms' hurt feelings. I'll tell you how it works out in 10 or 15 years heh

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Guess I'm just a dick. Well, no, I am. Her mom smokes, and we made it very clear she has to wash her hands before handling the baby. No ifs, and, or buts - our kid our rules. She's never been allowed to be around him unsupervised and likely won't for quite a while (bit of pre-baby drama there) so haven't experienced the rest. My mom is coming out to meet her grandson for the first time next month, and stay with us a few days, so we'll see how that goes. He's older now so shouldn't be nearly the issues you have.

Basically I'm of the opinion that "my kid, my rules - can't handle it? see ya!" ESPECIALLY with the safety stuff. My son's life/health > our moms' hurt feelings. I'll tell you how it works out in 10 or 15 years heh
Which works fine until your wife/baby momma starts being the enabler.

OneofOne

You mean the mom doing the things listed? Seems to me something that shoulda been hashed out before pumping sperm into her. My wife and I talked quite a bit about our thoughts on raising a child - what we do and don't like, etc etc. We were quite literally on the same page about 99.5% of stuff, so we steamed on ahead. That seems something you should do as soon as the condoms/birth control stops being used. If she turns into that enabler later? Dunno what to say about that.

My wife and her mom don't have a very good relationship, so I suppose it's easier for her to tell her mom to piss off. My mom lives a few thousand miles away so won't really ever be an issue. Maybe I'm just lucky that way.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
My youngest refused to sleep ay way that wasn't on his stomach. He actually rolled over younger than any other child I'm aware of so he could do just that.

TragedyAnn_sl

shitlord

Some of my frustrations

Some of this stuff depends...

I've let some of my infants sleep on their bellies before they were "supposed" to, but I had 10lb babies and they were able to pick their heads up and move around etc.
HOWEVER, I just had 5lb twins and I do not let them sleep on their bellies. They're just too little and weak and...no.
BOTTOM LINE, this is your child and "it's better to be safe than sorry".
If someone is putting your child in danger, don't leave him with her. I know sometimes that's easier said than done...

The solids...What solids?? That rice cereal mess?? My son's pediatrician advised me to start him on that at 5 WEEKS b/c he was so big. And almost every parent I know puts it in their kid's bottle with formula.
BUT if you mean solids like peas and carrots, then no, that's probably not good.

Not putting stuff back makes me laugh. This must be your only child. ^_^ I have baby shit spread all over this apartment. Desitin on my desk, diapers and pacifiers on the couch, the kitchen table, my bedroom... Burp clothes? I just grab whatever is nearby haha

BUT you asked how to handle it...Not if they're doing it wrong...So...
If voicing your concerns (AKA telling them NOT to do it their way) doesn't work, then I dunno. Other than finding a new babysitter... ?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>

Some of my frustrations

I'll respond to each because everyone else is.

1. Depends on the kid really. My youngest refused to sleep on his back after 2 months.

2. Much like Etoille asked, what sort of solids? If they are giving him a tiny bit or rice cereal or even tiny bits of step 1 then I don't see an issue with it.

3. Yeah fuck that.

4. Smokers always smell like smoke, if you have family that smokes you have to deal with that. Waiting 30 minutes or 3 minutes isn't going to help with that. This is you being nit picky unless you flat out ban them from touching your baby. Good luck with that.

5. Crying it out pre 6 months is a no no. They cry at that age because they need something (food, diaper, just being help because they are lonely) and ignoring it is something you can't do. As you progress from there it's a judgement call as yes, they need to begin learning a coping mechanism at some point before they learn all they have to do is scream out once before you are attending their every whim. I waiting until around 10 months with all my kids for this.

6. Not a HUGE deal, but a minor offence. It leads to messy feedings more than anything else however yes, it's a good idea to use the smaller ones for pre 3 months.

7. You're going to blow though a few diapers an hour at that age if not more. Every little pee is still pee and should be changed out. Just because it's "locked away" doesn't mean it's avoiding the skin and can't lead to rash. Diapers are expensive, you knew this going into it and should be the least of your anger issues. Personally I'd rather have a baby with a clean diaper all the time than a baby with a little pee in his/her diaper most the time. Plus in all honesty, where is the cut off on too much pee? Bottom line, if they wet their diaper, change it. The fact you would be willing to let them had a wet diaper, no matter how minor over changing it would bother me more than the other way around.

8. At that age there is no such thing as snack feeding. If your baby wants food then you feed them. When that young they don't know what snacks are, they want something to eat because their body and brain is telling them they need to eat. Sometimes it's a little, sometimes it's a lot but there is no such thing as a feeding schedule pre 6 months. They might even only want a bottle for 10 seconds, -shrug- then you give them one for 10 seconds.

9. Man if things out of place bother you now, wait until they are older. Get used to it and let it go before it drive you insane. (This coming from a neat freak.)

Much like Cad said, pick your battles. The only good ones you have going for you here are possibly the solid food one, depend on what it is....and smoking around your baby. Oh and the crying for hours pre 6 months....though are they "letting him cry for hours" or is the baby "just crying for hours" no matter what they do? Sometimes you can't get them to stop. My oldest would routinely cry from 1am to 5am his first six months. Nothing would get him to stop and there was zero wrong with him, he just hated that time for some reason. Every child is different though and times will vary of course.

At any rate, if that's happening, just go in there and get him yourself.

Hope this and the other responses helped.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Screw all you pussies. My son was eating steak and smoking cigars at 2 months old. That's what men do.

On a serious note, have the conversation with them. Don't be a pushover on things that you think have serious potential repercussions on your child's health. Solids at that young an age? Smoking near a baby? Letting the baby cry for hours? These are not okay. If you have to, be a dick about it. Whatever keeps your child healthy.