Parent Thread

lindz

#DDs
Good god man, you deserve a medal or something for sounding as sane and collected as you do after sharing a home with 6 women.
Lol, yeah that's exactly the thought I had too. I have 3 girls, grew up in a family of 3 girls and my god I couldn't imagine more. I have mad respect for my dad for staying sane through us. Let's hope my husband stays sane as well!

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Good god man, you deserve a medal or something for sounding as sane and collected as you do after sharing a home with 6 women.
Haha, well it isn't that bad. My 2 older daughters live with their mom, my ex-wife, so they are only here on the weekends. The big problem for me is they are teenagers now, 14 and 15, so there is about an 11 year gap between my kids. So I get to suffer through the teen years (holy fucking drama BTW), then get a 10 year break, and do it all over again.

Don't award me any medals yet

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I wanted a radio on in my son's room while he sleeps. My wife said ok, but put the classical station on. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Haha, well it isn't that bad. My 2 older daughters live with their mom, my ex-wife, so they are only here on the weekends. The big problem for me is they are teenagers now, 14 and 15, so there is about an 11 year gap between my kids. So I get to suffer through the teen years (holy fucking drama BTW), then get a 10 year break, and do it all over again.

Don't award me any medals yet
All 3 of mine will hit the teen years at about the same time. When my oldest is 16, my youngest will be 13. I shudder at the thought of the future.

And my wife is talking about trying for a boy using IVF. fuckin LOLOLOLOL no. Not any time soon.

lindz

#DDs
All 3 of mine will hit the teen years at about the same time. When my oldest is 16, my youngest will be 13. I shudder at the thought of the future.

And my wife is talking about trying for a boy using IVF. fuckin LOLOLOLOL no. Not any time soon.
We've *kind of* been thinking the same thing. Being 0/3 on boys though, I don't know if it is worth the risk. >.<

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
We've *kind of* been thinking the same thing. Being 0/3 on boys though, I don't know if it is worth the risk. >.<
My wife tells me that they have some way to influence the sex with IVF. I know nothing about it at all, but it sounds reasonable. Maybe 10 years from now or so that is something I would be open to.

How quickly she forgets, too. She could have died in her last pregnancy, or ended up permanently disabled.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
My wife tells me that they have some way to influence the sex with IVF. I know nothing about it at all, but it sounds reasonable. Maybe 10 years from now or so that is something I would be open to.

How quickly she forgets, too. She could have died in her last pregnancy, or ended up permanently disabled.
There are a few different things they can do to pre-select the sex. My wife and I had to do IVF for our 3 due to my disability, and since I already had 2 girls I inquired about making sure one was a boy.

I may be misremembering some of this, so if some expert wants to come in and correct me, please do. One option is they take the already formed embryo and can cut a single cell off of it. They then send that cell to check for a bunch of abnormalities, and it can also check for the sex. One risk of that though is that a good embryo has like 10 cells, so removing any cells reduces the quality of it. So if you have an embryo with only 6 or 7 cells, it greatly reduces the quality. This process of course won't guarantee you a boy, it only guarantees you know the sex of the embryo before you implant it. So if you have 8 good embryos, they all could very well be only one sex and you could have all girls (which appears to be my case!)

The other that I have heard is they can spin the sperm, and somehow separate out the boys and girls. I don't know the details of this, or the validity of it, because our doctor didn't mention this one to us.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I build IVF equipment for a retailer in New Jersey.

Heated Lab Tables, Cryogenic baths... that type of thing.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

You shouldn't do IVF just to pre-select the sex. If you have to do IVF anyway, then go for it, but IVF is not a particularly great way to make a healthy baby.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
You shouldn't do IVF just to pre-select the sex. If you have to do IVF anyway, then go for it, but IVF is not a particularly great way to make a healthy baby.
She had to get her tubes tied due to health complications in her last pregnancy. It is the only option we would have other than adoption. Which is a viable alternative imo, I'm sure at first you would have feeling about wanting your own kid or whatever but once you had the baby that would fade really quickly. idk, right now we're not making any decisions, it is just a thought. I thought before that I wouldn't be satisfied unless I had a boy some day and I might feel that way later, but right now I am content. The wife is the one driving this discussion, hormones or something I guess.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Why do you say this? Of course if you can conceive naturally you should do that, but I wasn't aware that it wasn't a good way to make a healthy baby. We got 3 healthy kids out of it, and only implanted 4 embryos.

Of course it is also quite expensive. I think the out of pocket cost for us for all 3 kids was somewhere in the 20k range.

Why do you say this? Of course if you can conceive naturally you should do that, but I wasn't aware that it wasn't a good way to make a healthy baby. We got 3 healthy kids out of it, and only implanted 4 embryos.

Of course it is also quite expensive. I think the out of pocket cost for us for all 3 kids was somewhere in the 20k range.
because he's an asshole. people have great healthy babies via ivf the same as they do natural conception.

That said I am not quite a fan of using pgd (as you described) as a way to do an elective sex choice. Ivf is expensive and it already isn't covered in a lot of states and having a bunch of folks do it on an elective basis like that will only drive up costs for everyone.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

When I read the literature a couple of years ago, it was suggested that because IVF doesn't allow the normal competition process for sperm to reach the egg, and instead the sperm are just put there and fertilize the egg in the manner in which they do, you are eliminating one of the gating mechanisms to weed out weaker/slower/unhealthy sperm.

Something like that. And fuck you fat cunt Etoille. I never said it can't produce a healthy baby, obviously many healthy ones are produced. I said it wasn't the best way.

When I read the literature a couple of years ago, it was suggested that because IVF doesn't allow the normal competition process for sperm to reach the egg, and instead the sperm are just put there and fertilize the egg in the manner in which they do, you are eliminating one of the gating mechanisms to weed out weaker/slower/unhealthy sperm.

Something like that. And fuck you fat cunt Etoille. I never said it can't produce a healthy baby, obviously many healthy ones are produced. I said it wasn't the best way.
well thank god you knew what you were talking about before shooting your mouth off and saying something really potentially offensive. Infertility is a heartbreaking and expensive struggle and you saying ignorant shit like that surprise actually comes off as you being an asshole.

The blasts themselves are actually graded once fertilized. And due to egg retrieval being in lots of cases more than one they are able to transfer the best looking blasts in a lot of cases.

It was a douche thing of you to say. Calk me a fat cunt all you like. You're still an ignorant douche for saying what you did.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
You really shouldn't be breeding, and I'm disappointed to hear this news. Get your balls fixed dude.