Parent Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
This was my favorite thread before it all went to hell on morenetz.
When my daughter was learning to talk at one point she ran at me yelling THUNDERCATS! HOOOOOOOOO! Proud moment, but now that she is almost 6 it is my little pony on netflix all the time(ugh).

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Have a daughter on the way. My wife is due late April and after having have watched my 4 year old niece quite a bit, I'm terrified.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have some shows/movies they actually enjoy watching with their kid? Already aware of all of the bigger stuff (just saw Wreck it Ralph a few weeks ago).
I've already made him watch all the cartoons I loved as a kid for nostalgia, but it'd be nice to have something newer.

Should add that I have access to American and Canadian Netflix, and am completely willing to torrent anything else.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Anyone have some shows/movies they actually enjoy watching with their kid? Already aware of all of the bigger stuff (just saw Wreck it Ralph a few weeks ago).
I've already made him watch all the cartoons I loved as a kid for nostalgia, but it'd be nice to have something newer.

Should add that I have access to American and Canadian Netflix, and am completely willing to torrent anything else.
Regular Show
http://youtu.be/M6SrXBaopYg

November

Lord Nagafen Raider
This was my favorite thread before it all went to hell on morenetz.
When my daughter was learning to talk at one point she ran at me yelling THUNDERCATS! HOOOOOOOOO! Proud moment, but now that she is almost 6 it is my little pony on netflix all the time(ugh).
Having over 300GB + down traffic each month over the past few months can be attributed to Netflix and Ponies/Kipper/et al. at my household.

Adventure time is great to watch with the kids.

I also have my three and a half year old son obsessed with zombies and dragons while my daughter who is eight tried explaining the Sluagh to her class during story breaks at school. I love my kids.

awfal

Silver Knight of the Realm

How old?

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Have a daughter on the way. My wife is due late April and after having have watched my 4 year old niece quite a bit, I'm terrified.
I've agreed to start trying to get my wife pregnant in January. I am terrfied of that now.

I've agreed to start trying to get my wife pregnant in January. I am terrfied of that now.
Honestly, kids are one of the best things in life if you have the money and time to devote to them. Nothing to really be scared of, we all start out knowing jack shit about how to care for the little animals. Then you learn from doing. Good luck man.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Learn from doing? lol Things I've learned in the last week:

When changing diapers, hold their legs with an iron grip or learn just how fun cleaning out poopoo from between toes is. (Seriously, how the fuck is something so TINY so STRONG?)

Keep a spare shirt in the car - half-digested mommy milk on your shirt is not sexy.

Changing the baby on your bed is like rolling the dice - do you feel lucky?

Apparently I like to learn the hard way. I wonder how many hundreds of other things I'll learn
cool.png

cool.png

cool.png

Yup, those are the sorts of things I was talking about. Babies are like this weird combination of Gumby, little Hercules, and the projectile vomiting chick from the exorcist.

Something I figured out that should really be helpful for new dads; babies are not little delicate porcelain dolls. You are not going to hurt them if you exert a firm grip on the legs while changing them or other activities of that nature. Now of course don't do your manly man handshake on their ankles, but on the whole it will save you from those moments when the little buggers realise you aren't really holding their legs firmly when you are changing them and the next thing you know the kids has somersaulted across your bed or off of it with the obvious gross results.

Also. If your kid has just been fed and you are changing them don't just take off the diaper in a cold room, especially if they are a boy. The abrupt change in temperature is just asking for the kid to shoot you in the face.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Fairly Odd Parents is amusing. not something i'd suggest just WATCHING... but my kid loves it and it makes me smile on occasion. Phineas and Ferb. that is one of the best shows ever. i am CONSTANTLY laughing when we watch it. and they're both on netflix. my son is 5 and we love it. there's plenty of episodes of both of those so it should take him some time to get through. if he's got the attention span for some longer running plots, you could always try the old justice league/JLU... i watched them all before i had kids.

for movies? there hasn't been too many "classics" lately... i'd stick with stuff like incredibles, cloudy with a chance of meatballs, stuff like that that's come out years previously that i'm sure you're aware of

moontayle

Golden Squire
Also. If your kid has just been fed and you are changing them don't just take off the diaper in a cold room, especially if they are a boy. The abrupt change in temperature is just asking for the kid to shoot you in the face.
THIS! Oh my GOD this.

There is nothing in the world that can prepare you to be a parent. You either feel like you're ready "enough" or you don't. There's no in between. It's the ultimate OJT and you know you succeed when they don't end up in the Emergency Room. Sometimes they end up there anyway, and at that point success is when you're home again and everything is okay. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Each kid is different too, and the only thing you're prepared for with a second kid is simply the basics... feeding, changing, routines, things of that nature. Their personalities will be different. Things that worked for Kid A won't work for Kid B and vice versa. You'll get DEVIL CHILD FROM HELL in one go, and SWEET ANGEL FROM HEAVEN on the next. The only thing you can do is love them unconditionally, and make sure they don't end up in the Emergency Room.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Hey Chaos - how is your kid feeling? I had to pick my 1 (2 in Jan) year old from school today because he was running a 102 fever. When I got the call I thought of your kid.

Anyway, my little dude has had the fever come and go all day. He woke me up a bit ago, I gave him some more medicine and soothed I'm back to sleep. I need that dude healthy my parents come to town this weekend and we have a million things planned.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
She was like 100% better. She did end up getting sick when my wife took her to the store, but other than that she was back to her old tazmanian devil self.

That is frustrating, when a kid has a severe temp like that you expect there to be a reason or something and no, no reason, no explanation, oh and she gets better immediately with no explanation. Should be thankful, though.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Our little guy has his first sinus infection at 15 months old. Sigh just like his old dad. I had to put off the CT scan since we each have a $1500 deductible because he needed tubes in the same month. I figure after I pay off this bill I can get my CT done and hopefully they can figure out why I have had 8 sinus infections this year. BTW using those sinus washes worked at first for me, however now they do nothing but just wash junk out that is replaced immediately by more.