Parent Thread

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So when did your kids start talking/saying words and what was the process like? I keep thinking that I'm hearing my daughter almost say words, but it's like half babble and half almost-words. My brain may be interpreting sounds because I want to hear words.
I think my little one was around 1 when she started in with Dada, and it was clear that she knew what it was and referring directly to me. That whole first 18 months is so blurry now that my timeline is kind of off. I have to admit, I was a little disappointed because I was trying to get her to say Jedi as her first word, heh. It all happened so fast; it was literally one week she was rolling around and barely crawling; the next week she was walking and talking.

Between 1 and 2 the words started coming for her, as she got closer to 2 it started to get alot more clear; now at a little over 2 we are getting alot of words, clear demands (oh, the fucking demands, no little girl, I don't want to watch Frozen again sweet jesus but yes you can have juice and Apple Jacks), she is bullshitting like a pro, constantly picking up new things to say. Especially the wrong ones because my language discipline is poor and there is nothing like seeing a 2 year old girl laughing and yelling, 'shit, daddy!!!'.

It really is pretty amazing.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
There are several apps(some even free) out there for turning your old cell phone into a baby cam. You can set them up to email/text you movement alerts. The problem is, cell phones aren't going to be able to record video in low/no light. They don't have an infra-red night vision mode like an actual baby cam/dropcam does, so at night you are basically relegated to sound only, no video.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
My daughter is 17 months and her first word was "hi." That was last summer. She doesn't use any other words unless you catch her by surprise... The little prick is like a Mexican who pretends she doesn't know the language but secretly understands every word you say...

She's gonna go from just saying hi to speaking full sentances

j00t

That's basically the point we are at. Kids been saying "mama" for over a month now(probably since 10 months), but that's the only thing he really says with a purpose, he cries mama when he's mad, or when she's coming in the door from work. Everything else is just babble/mimicking noises that we make, but he doesn't really know what the words mean. He'll say stuff like no-no, yeah-yeah, etc, but only after we do it. This is pretty funny, but I've had a cold for the past week with a lot of coughing, and every time I cough he makes a little coughing noise too, to mimic me.
Same here. My daughter coughs and then daintily pats her chest. She's both the sweetest thing on the planet and the biggest a-hole around.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Goddamnit, we almost made it an entire year without the kid getting sick in any way. His birthday is next week, and he got a cold this week. So close :/

I fell so bad, he's all stopped up and can't breathe well through his nose, makes it a bitch to sleep, he woke up a bunch last night. Too bad babies can't just do what adults can, and chug some nyquil and get a decent nights sleep.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
So my youngest has a fairly sharp cough, and this morning had a runny nose. The cough has been going on for 3 days, and sounds like his lungs have some crud in there. But he has no fever, has a good appetite, says nothing hurts (nose, tummy, head, throat), and is good-natured. He does have some seasonal allergies, as do I. My seasonal allergies are kicking my ass this year again (last year was the first), and I'm wondering, can allergies be causing the cough, or is he fighting a bug, do you think? Doesn't seem worth a trip to the doctor as it doesn't seem to be bothering him, and no one else in the house is getting sick from him.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Could be an ear infection? Sounds like my daughter a month or so ago. No fever, appetite fine, just a cough and runny nose. Sounded like she had stuff in her lungs too when she took deep breaths which is what worried me.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Could be an ear infection? Sounds like my daughter a month or so ago. No fever, appetite fine, just a cough and runny nose. Sounded like she had stuff in her lungs too when she took deep breaths which is what worried me.
Did you put her on antibiotics, or did it clear up?

Siliconemelons

Talking...oh the talking. My oldest girl, now 3 is doing really well- she started like most others babbeling around the 12ish month mark and gained a lot at 2, and now 3 she is linking a lot of stuff together, having strong rational when talking TO her and her talking TO us- expressing needs/wants are moving into almost complete sentences etc. the 2.5-4year range has insane word count inflation on kids where they go from hundreds to thousands of words - complete with meanings and understandings.

The little one now about 15 months has always had high understanding, but as mentioned above- likes to play dumb and "be the baby" although she is more advanced than the oldest was at her age- 2nd kids usually are as they try and do what the older ones do- she is able to say a good handful of words now- maybe even less number of words than the oldest did at the time- but each of the ones she does say are pourposeful and for their real meaning, not just repeating or babbelings of words.

Kids are crazy... never thought it would be what it is.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
My daughters get a cough during allergy season. I don't even stress about it unless they get a fever on top of that.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is how my kid falls asleep all the time now... with her elephant stuffed animal on her face.

J7wsEFb.png

also this is what the dropcam looks like in case you were wondering.

j00t

Haha oh man my daughter does that now with her blanket. When we go to bed we check on her and the blanket is all bunched on her head. We move and she wakes up mad at us that we moved it. She starts yelling and pulls it back over her head. Still kind of worries us she'll suffocate in the night but she won't keep it off her face

Thengel

Golden Knight of the Realm
Dropped Jack off at daycare for the first time this morning
frown.png
I'm sure he'll be fine, I think he's still young enough that he doesn't necessarily miss us. He likes us better than most other people, but that's about the end of it.

He's 4 months and has rolled over in his sleep, but he doesn't even seem remotely interested in trying to roll over while he's awake. Last night we put together his kick & play piano, and that was some of the funniest shit everrrrr. He's finally getting to be somewhat "fun." The most interesting part is seeing kids just a few months older and thinking "wow I hope my kid is like that but it sure doesn't seem like he will be." And soon enough, shockingly, he is. Previously it was seeing a kid simply being awake and happy. Our son was NEVER awake and happy. Now, he is - sometimes at least. This morning it was watching a little girl in his class just rolling all over the damn place. Will he ever really do that? We shall see!

Goddamnit, we almost made it an entire year without the kid getting sick in any way. His birthday is next week, and he got a cold this week. So close :/

I fell so bad, he's all stopped up and can't breathe well through his nose, makes it a bitch to sleep, he woke up a bunch last night. Too bad babies can't just do what adults can, and chug some nyquil and get a decent nights sleep.
heh we haven't been sick since the great stomach flu of valentines day...then last saturday (first moving weekend of course) he comes down with a 102 fever and a bitch of a cough.

husband and I have both had it...succccccccccccccccccccccks

Dropped Jack off at daycare for the first time this morning
frown.png
I'm sure he'll be fine, I think he's still young enough that he doesn't necessarily miss us. He likes us better than most other people, but that's about the end of it.

He's 4 months and has rolled over in his sleep, but he doesn't even seem remotely interested in trying to roll over while he's awake. Last night we put together his kick & play piano, and that was some of the funniest shit everrrrr. He's finally getting to be somewhat "fun." The most interesting part is seeing kids just a few months older and thinking "wow I hope my kid is like that but it sure doesn't seem like he will be." And soon enough, shockingly, he is. Previously it was seeing a kid simply being awake and happy. Our son was NEVER awake and happy. Now, he is - sometimes at least. This morning it was watching a little girl in his class just rolling all over the damn place. Will he ever really do that? We shall see!
heh I remember thinking the exact same thing.

I remember taking my son to the pediatrician first week he was born and seeing a 3 month old in a carrier and thinking "my kid will NEVER be that huge!" or breastfeeding in Nordstrom's mother's lounge and a woman brings her six month old in and going "holy shit my kid is tiny! and omg kids don't cry all the time?"

I remember the first day my kid didn't cry all day when awake. I took a video.

My kid is almost 10 months old now. It makes me so immeasurably sad. My tiny baby is gone. He was gone 3-4 months ago and I didn't know it. I love who he is now but he's a kid. He's not a baby
frown.png

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just wait until you get the first haircut!! It was getting pretty shaggy long, and so we went in for the first hair cut to the same spot I get my hair cut. They had a certificate and everything, and taped a lock of hair on it for my wife.

But dang, our baby boy is gone, and he's little boy now. No baby left anymore, much to the chagrin of my wife. haha

Notch_sl

shitlord

If you haven't purchased one already, I strongly recommend a Vicks Warm Steam Vaporizer with Vicks or Kaz inhalant for vaporizers.