Parent Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Welcome to kids. Seriously, they don't listen. More accurately, they listen, they just don't give a shit about what you have to say. There is an episode of My Little Pony where Pinkie Pie says "That's future me's problem". That, in a nutshell, is kids. They just aren't capable of understanding future consequences.

Most likely the change in environment does have something to do with it. I'm no psychologist. If it was me, I would just continue to redirect and try to be patient. I know, believe me I know, that it is hard but you have to remember that sometimes changes that don't seem like such a big deal to us are huge, world-changing events for them.

And yes, I just cited My Little Pony, come at me, I just don't give a fuck.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It is a good show, as far as kids shows go. Beats the fuck out of letting them watch Barbie or whatever.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Opinions... my son is 16 months old, and I can't tell if he's restless and bored, or being defiant, or just being an ass but he won't listen to anything my wife or I say to him. He either has to get yelled at, or swatted on his ass, which of course then he gets upset.

Today according to my stay at home wife it's just non stop. But he'll get in trouble for one thing, and then move right on to something else that he shouldn't get in to.

My first thought is that our move from a house to an apartment is effecting him. He doesn't have a baby safe place he can just mess around, so it's hard, because he's constantly getting into things that he shouldn't, but there isn't any space for him anymore. That's at least a good excuse... but he's still not listening to us.

I'm having trouble, as is the wife, trying to figure out how get him to listen, so we hence don't have to keep yelling at him, or redirecting him towards other things. Problem is, we have 0 space anymore to create for just him. It's all filled up with stuff. So he's either rolling all over the dogs, which is no good, because we have small dogs, or getting into stuff.
frown.png

Ugh, I hate small apartments with a kid. Not sure how to do this.
The living situation has to factor in to that behavior. A kid wants to play. They are inquisitive and quickly bored. If there isn't a designated play area that is kid safe, he's going to try to play in other areas, you can't fault him for that. How long are you going to be stuck in the small apartment? I'd try to take him outside to play as much as possible, let him run himself ragged at a park or playground. He's got a ton of energy and no way to exert it while stuck in a small space. It's like if you had a big, hyper dog in a small apartment. Take him outside and wear him out.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Living in Phoenix AZ, during monsoon season, while it's ok for the kid, isn't so good for my 8 month pregnant wife.
frown.png
100+ degree's, lately it's been 30-40% humidity to go along with it. It's a struggle, but we will keep re-directing, and we don't fault the kid at all..... well I guess we do, he gets told No a lot, but I do understand that he's just bored, and needs to burn off energy. Poor guy.
frown.png

I'm going to start doing things with him at night after I get home from work to try and wear him out!

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Does your apartment complex have a pool, or is there a community center nearby that has one? Nothing wears out a kid more than playing in water/swimming. Every time our 15 month old plays in the pool for an hour, he's good for a huge 3-hour nap afterwards. It's the longest he ever naps. Playing in water is hard work, lol.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
bgr.com/2014/08/05/do-video-games-cause-violence-research/

Done by Oxford. 5k sample. 1 to 3 hours a day actually improves many factors for kids.
This is wrong. That article wasn't accurate, but they link to the study in it. The kids who showed improvement are the ones that played less than an hour. The kids who plays 1 - 3 hours showed no negative or positive change.

Crone

Does your apartment complex have a pool, or is there a community center nearby that has one? Nothing wears out a kid more than playing in water/swimming. Every time our 15 month old plays in the pool for an hour, he's good for a huge 3-hour nap afterwards. It's the longest he ever naps. Playing in water is hard work, lol.
Funny you should mention that. New apartment does have a pool and wife is taking him to the pool today.
smile.png
I think I knew the answer to my question, but its good to hear it from others. We just need to wear his ass out!

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
We go swimming every day, and it's great exercise for us, and when the kids were younger, any morning we swam, they would nap in the afternoon. Still true of my six year old.

LostCoder_sl

shitlord
I teach my kids to read the bible daily. I highly recommend everyone to start doing the same. After about a week of intensive reading, I can see that their behavior has dramatically changed for the better, and their grades have magically improved.

Crone

I love hummus, the wife not so much. But he doesn't quite have all his chompers, so carrots are still a little hard to eat for him. He was eating Raising Cane's chicken strips last night though like a bawss. lol
wink.png

We had a pool in our house, and he swims nearly all day at Grandma's twice a week, so we know he loves the water. Just had to remind the wife of such things.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I teach my kids to read the bible daily. I highly recommend everyone to start doing the same. After about a week of intensive reading, I can see that their behavior has dramatically changed for the better, and their grades have magically improved.
Tell us more of this magical book that magically improves grades. I like magic.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Welcome to kids. Seriously, they don't listen. More accurately, they listen, they just don't give a shit about what you have to say. There is an episode of My Little Pony where Pinkie Pie says "That's future me's problem". That, in a nutshell, is kids. They just aren't capable of understanding future consequences.

Most likely the change in environment does have something to do with it. I'm no psychologist. If it was me, I would just continue to redirect and try to be patient. I know, believe me I know, that it is hard but you have to remember that sometimes changes that don't seem like such a big deal to us are huge, world-changing events for them.

And yes, I just cited My Little Pony, come at me, I just don't give a fuck.
Pinkie Pie rules.

Unfortunately, she never said that. You're thinking of the episode where Twilight Sparkle gets a warning from her future self to stop a disaster, and she's so distracted trying to avert the disaster she lets Spike gorge himself on ice cream. He's the one who says the impending stomach ache is future Spike's problem.

Two young nieces. Come at me bro.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Christ I'm glad I have a son, that show sounds terrible.

Worst I have to do is put up with Thomas the train and Peppa Pig

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Christ I'm glad I have a son, that show sounds terrible.

Worst I have to do is put up with Thomas the train and Peppa Pig
I fucking hate Peppa Pig. I'll take a marathon of Sofia the First and My Little Pony over a single episode of Peppa Pig.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
My kids going to talk with a British accent, he loves Peppa Pig. He can only say a few words, but he can oink/snort like those damn pigs.