Path of Exile

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Does anyone know if the Occultist's "15% more cold damage" on Frigid Wake is mechanically different than the same amount of "increased cold damage"?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Does anyone know if the Occultist's "15% more cold damage" on Frigid Wake is mechanically different than the same amount of "increased cold damage"?
More is multiplicative, increased is additive. More is always going to yield 15% more dmg, while increased would be relative to your already existing amount of cold dmg(if you have +100%, adding 15% actually increases your overall dmg by 7.5%)

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
More is multiplicative, increased is additive. More is always going to yield 15% more dmg, while increased would be relative to your already existing amount of cold dmg(if you have +100%, adding 15% actually increases your overall dmg by 7.5%)

So it's...better then right?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/03/b1/0f/03b10f1012034b568baf968fc196f0bd.jpg

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/03/b1/0f/03b10f1012034b568baf968fc196f0bd.jpg

If you have 100% increased damage, and it's 15% increased damage, you'll do 115% increased damage

So 100 dps x 115% for 215 dps

If its more the formula would change to

100 dps x 100% x 15% for 230 dps

So you always add all your "increased" percents together while "more" are always multiplied separately. All your increased nodes are 10 + 10 + 10 while all your more nodes would be 10 x 10 x 10

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Think I have my starter too: glacial cascade miner I kind of like traps, but bombs just look to be in a better spot. I've also never played glacial cascade before so that will be fun. (I hope) I agree with Ronne though in that ele hit raider looks interesting. The build I used to play almost every league switched ascendancies from hiero to raider for ele hit totems. That could be ok as well, but never played Raider before. So many interesting combos.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Better chaos scaling on that last 10% that was unconverted baby
Been a while since a did a poison build but I want to say that doesn't matter. Phys and chaos are equal inputs for poison, which then becomes 100% chaos damage, and then all that chaos scaling applies equally anyway.

Quick experiment with blade vortex, poison support, and pathfinder in pob confirms what I'm saying. Without Nature's Reprisal, BV is 100% phys, void manip support increased poison dps by 39%. Take Nature's Reprisal, of which only the phys->chaos conversion affects BV, and void manip support still only increased poison dps by 39%.

TR and CL conversion changes affects the 1 timmy that still plays them as pure hit builds.

Last edited:

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Been a while since a did a poison build but I want to say that doesn't matter. Phys and chaos are equal inputs for poison, which then becomes 100% chaos damage, and then all that chaos scaling applies equally anyway.

Quick experiment with blade vortex, poison support, and pathfinder in pob confirms what I'm saying. Without Nature's Reprisal, BV is 100% phys, void manip support increased poison dps by 39%. Take Nature's Reprisal, of which only the phys->chaos conversion affects BV, and void manip support still only increased poison dps by 39%.

TR and CL conversion changes affects the 1 timmy that still plays them as pure hit builds.

The base poison damage is phys+chaos from the initial hit right? If you've got a big pile of +chaos damage all over the tree why wouldn't having a larger initial chaos hit from that last 10% conversion mean bigger poisons?

Obviously yea the poison itself already has all the chaos scaling, but the initial poison number still relies on getting the hit in.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The base poison damage is phys+chaos from the initial hit right? If you've got a big pile of +chaos damage all over the tree why wouldn't having a larger initial chaos hit from that last 10% conversion mean bigger poisons?

Obviously yea the poison itself already has all the chaos scaling, but the initial poison number still relies on getting the hit in.
No, this sounds like you're still thinking of poison as double dipping. No modifiers are applied before base hit damage is calculated.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yes "more" is always better. One way to think about it is more gives you the listed percentage to all your damage, but increased only gives you the % to the base damage, which is not your whole damage(unless you have absolutely no other base damage modifiers, or increased, then it's your whole damage but just taking any node on your skill tree or having a random shit item and it's already less).

Increased is still good, it's just not nearly as good, especially lategame.

This is how it used to work and people referred to it as double dipping, since chaos would increase your base hit, and then increase the poison that was already increased by the base hit. They changed how poison(and ignite) work to not function this way. Only flat added damage is counted in the initial hit for the poison calculations. Then your chaos damage % is applied to both at the same amount. You don't first apply the chaos % to the hit, then again on the poison.

With that said, what you're saying is partially correct too, if you're scaling chaos dmg for poison scaling, then converting your phys to chaos means you'll also get bigger initial hits(it won't affect the poison size, just the strength of the hits). However if you're not really scaling the hits and only the poisons, the difference tend to be somewhat minimal. For example back when I played Viper Strike, my melee attacks hits were 50% converted iirc, but converting the rest was a waste of time because I did like 100phys per hit anyway, all my damage was from flat chaos(claw mod+added poison support+some aura or whatever the fuck) and so it didn't really matter cause I'd be doing 200-300dmg more per hit, when I was doing like 8million poison DPS anyway. The phys dmg contributed just the same to poison DPS, since the poison is based on the base hit, and not the modified value.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Hrm, odd they'd go out of their way to make them 100% convert then with pathfinder if it doesn't even do anything. Sorta nice for phys reflect I guess?

Anyone come up for anything reasonable for battlemage inquis junk? Closest I can figure is spellslinger icebolt and selfcasting ice nova at warp speeds, but otherwise I can't find any realistic way of actually utilizing. Like maybe if you were zooming enough you could keep it active via shield charge or leap slam? But man that seems like a lot of work.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'd be very surprised if you could beat yourself to death via phys reflect as a poison character. Maybe ignite.

They changed the conversion because Chris mandated 40 changes.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Anyone who played Heist, how rare were alt quality gems? I'm thinking of a build but I'd need an alt quality main skill for it to function properly so not entirely sure how easy it'd be to get.

Ridiculously easy to get. However, to get the one you *want* is a different story.

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
tytykiller's list of decent league starters.
1610599594866.png

I'm not certain if I'll be able to play this weekend. Which is fine because I can't decide on anything to play.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Might try totems this time around, nice simple journey to A8 that requires little to no investment. See what happens once I'm at endgame I guess, depends on luck/currency as to what I'll switch to later. Nothing's ever set in stone on a league start these days and I'll see how the meta builds look down the line and keep an eye on poe.ninja for interesting off the wall/non meta builds.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
It's decision day boys.

I was hoping to go RF/SR Jugg or LL Guardian, but I just don't know if the damage will be there to really get into the league.

Now I'm leaning toward some kind of Deadeye shenanigans with the unkillable Mirror Archer totems, but I haven't decided on which skill to main. Don't want to be stuck on Toxic Rain with a thousand other people fighting for gear.