Path of Exile

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
God, you two mouthbreathers still don't get it.

I have played every Diablo game and enjoyed the first two immensely. I want to like D4 and will probably try it a little this weekend but Blizzard is already making decisions that make me, personally, not want to play it. Item durability, daily/weekly crafting mats and quests are just poor design decisions that the genre has overcome and old Blizzard would have implemented the new systems in a superior way.

You both defend the backwards steps taken by the genre heavyweight by attacking the flaws of the indie games pushing past the old shitty systems. No one else is saying those games are close to perfect except the strawmen you are creating to knock down.

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

• 1Moron
Reactions: 1 user

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
Sooo summarizing the last four pages: Diablo is way better than POE, correct?

jk. Well we all knew that Bli$$ard want to turn this into a service game and get some money after the inital box sales. Seeing what happened to D3 initally and their store idea there is hope this will also backfire

• 1Dislike

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
We all would like to see D4 succeed. Truly.

D4 should have spend their time developing and perfecting POEs MAPs system. Because Maps are just an excellent and compelling way to keep people playing. Unfortunately for everyone they are instead going to try and fit in Wow dailies/wizard chores into Diablo and its going to be gay as fuck.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Well we all knew that Bli$$ard want to turn this into a service game and get some money after the inital box sales. Seeing what happened to D3 initally and their store idea there is hope this will also backfire
Exactly. That's why I'm glad I play a non live service game like PoE.

• 1Worf

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
God, you two mouthbreathers still don't get it.

I have played every Diablo game and enjoyed the first two immensely. I want to like D4 and will probably try it a little this weekend but Blizzard is already making decisions that make me, personally, not want to play it. Item durability, daily/weekly crafting mats and quests are just poor design decisions that the genre has overcome and old Blizzard would have implemented the new systems in a superior way.

You both defend the backwards steps taken by the genre heavyweight by attacking the flaws of the indie games pushing past the old shitty systems. No one else is saying those games are close to perfect except the strawmen you are creating to knock down.

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

LOL, wait, daily and weekly shit in D4?

Fuck, I'm glad I'm not keeping up with it. I'll play it, but my hopes are extremely low.

• 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
We all would like to see D4 succeed. Truly.

D4 should have spend their time developing and perfecting POEs MAPs system. Because Maps are just an excellent and compelling way to keep people playing. Unfortunately for everyone they are instead going to try and fit in Wow dailies/wizard chores into Diablo and its going to be gay as fuck.

Weekly set dungeon incoming!

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Weekly set dungeon incoming!

We really have no concrete info on what endgame looks like, but the beta sure looks a hell of a lot more like Lost Ark than it does D2/PoE so dailies seem fairly likely to me

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
We really have no concrete info on what endgame looks like, but the beta sure looks a hell of a lot more like Lost Ark than it does D2/PoE so dailies seem fairly likely to me

Dailies and weeklies are already confirmed my friend. Actually confirmed. Including limited resources for progression tied to them. This shouldn't be a surprise. It's Blizzards mantra since forever ago.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
The only way that would be somewhat interesting in a Diablo universe, is if you were building out a sactuary to take on heaven/hell. ARPG's should otherwise not be time gating anything like that, what the shit

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Dailies and weeklies are already confirmed my friend. Actually confirmed. Including limited resources for progression tied to them. This shouldn't be a surprise. It's Blizzards mantra since forever ago.

Progression gated by dailies/weeklies sounds pretty awful. I can sorta understand it in WoW where they're perfected the art of spooning out content as they collect a monthly fee but in an ARPG people just wanna blast content.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The only way that would be somewhat interesting in a Diablo universe, is if you were building out a sactuary to take on heaven/hell. ARPG's should otherwise not be time gating anything like that, what the shit

D4 is not an ARPG.

Between level scaling and shared/instanced open world and the literal raid bosses it's an MMO wearing a skin suit of Diablo

• 2Like

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I'm confused. Is innovation good or bad? I thought it was horrible to just copy paste what other arpgs did in the past? But now it's horrible to change stuff because you don't like the changes? But isn't innovation good just based solely on the fact that it's different so thus it has to be awesome and moving the genre forward?

• 1Hodjing

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I'm confused. Is innovation good or bad? I thought it was horrible to just copy paste what other arpgs did in the past? But now it's horrible to change stuff because you don't like the changes? But isn't innovation good just based solely on the fact that it's different so thus it has to be awesome and moving the genre forward?

How is level scaling innovation? Tons of games have done it and almost no gamers like it.

Oh, and how can you call it innovation when other games have more intricate versions where the scaling is capped in different places? Now innovation is doing a worse version of something that already exists?

Call it what it is, lazy design.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Innovation is great. Blizzard should have spent all their time and effort on polishing the stuff that POE does right. Which is how they keeping people playing. IMO MAPS is by far the greatest thing Path of Exile ever developed. It's just such a compelling way to keep people grinding as ARPG is an inherently grindy genre. I don't think Bliz had any chance of doing a league type setup with a new mechanic every 90 days like POE does though.

D4's innovation should have seriously been POE-lite. There is absolutely a market for that. Getting rid of bloat and overcomplexity in favor of a more streamlined experience that still keeps the regular audience occupied and playing has the potential to make lots of money on cosmetics and other shit like that. But this game will not be that.

Bliz has unfortunately spent the past decade or more on "engagement metrics" where they determine your ability to play and thus pay more on how many times you login. So they just create wizard chores so you keep logging in and call this engagement. But doing world bosses and dailies in wow is already gay and stupid.

Without seeing the pegboard thing of endgame advancement I'm not sure about it. The Diablo skilltree visually looks like it is trying to be the POE spiderweb but its actually very very simplistic and doesn't offer that many choices. Which also sucks.

• 1Like

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
D4 is not an ARPG.

Between level scaling and shared/instanced open world and the literal raid bosses it's an MMO wearing a skin suit of Diablo
Yea its a MMO in a diablo wrapper with an Ubisoft framework.

Doesn't necessarily mean it'll be a bad game though. Time will tell.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Ok, real talk. I know I shit on the issues in POE but I have to give them a ton of credit for just how more streamlined they've made the game over the last few years. Do you remember daily master missions? Reputation gated crafting? Maps bloated with content you didn't want to play? No way to really focus on the league content you liked?

They fixed the SHIT out of all of those things and have made the game super enjoyable in the endgame through the sheer amount of choice available. The arguments in the D4 thread made me go back and read the reasons I was fed up with POE and the wish list items that would have made D4 the default choice for me to play. Now, I think I'm pretty content with POE and looking forward to Crucible league way more than the release of D4. That is not something I expected a few years ago.

I might have to buy an actual supporter pack after plowing a few hundred more hours into Crucible.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I am too life busy to play lately but I am going to deep dick POE2 for awhile whenever it comes out.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Honestly auto pickup currency would be huge, even if they nerfed all basic currency drop chance.

Trade overall would be my second choice. Only because the pickup shit really takes a toll on your hands.

My third big hope would be a QoL to crafting. Being able to set thresholds and auto craft/turbo craft hitting certain affixes and combis when Alt and chaos spamming.

4th big ask would be to have some sort of coloring on the affixes similar to what dead cells did in their game. Probably the best visual acuity in item affixes in a game.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
My third big hope would be a QoL to crafting. Being able to set thresholds and auto craft/turbo craft hitting certain affixes and combis when Alt and chaos spamming.
Apart from a pet/critter to loot mundane things like scrolls, this would be my #1. I'd be a lot more likely to try crafting if it had some functional "Auto-stop/warn popup when X happens". Right clicking a thousand alts hoping for one and just zoning out and clicking right through it, feels awful.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity