Path of Exile

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
End times are upon us.

Bex is leaving GGG.

she knows that the PoE 2 is gonna be ruthless. So, instead of facing all the shit from online incels, she's leaves on a relative high. I'm surprised she lasted that long. CM's usually burn out after just a few years.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Messing with nu-chiefta some in PoB and and it's looking pretty bad, at least for any kind of strike/slam setup. As much as I like the idea of the massive screen clear that having a 7-link molten strike would provide the damage just isn't there.

I think the actual way you play it is just go berserker and steal the ancestral call node with timeless jewels for 100c cause who the fuck is playing marauder strikes

Hilariously enough though I bet nu-chieftan is actually just the best by a lot in ruthless given the changes to all the other ascendancies. The only nerf chieftan got was lower level ancestral/fist of war, but you're never playing an attack build like that in ruthless anyway. The 0 fire res/max res nods etc are all entirely unchanged there and blow everything else out of the water after the neutering they all took in the notes.

That does trigger the tinfoil in my brain a little bit though - every ascendancy got absolutely ranched in these notes and the brand new chieftan requires nearly 0 changes to be in line with ruthless power levels.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Hopefully you're wrong, everyone being at the level of 3.22 Chieftan would be really boring. Powerful ascendancies are important for build creativity.

They said these Ruthless changes were ready to go for 3.21. The simpler answer is that the 3.22 reworks were done afterwards and Ruthless guy didn't have time to proper fuck it yet.

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Hopefully you're wrong, everyone being at the level of 3.22 Chieftan would be really boring. Powerful ascendancies are important for build creativity.

They said these Ruthless changes were ready to go for 3.21. The simpler answer is that the 3.22 reworks were done afterwards and Ruthless guy didn't have time to proper fuck it yet.

Yea I really hope that's the case, it's just odd to look at how badly everything else got fucked and chieftan is just sitting there nearly unchanged

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I have no idea on power levels but Chieftan doesn't appear to have received the same kind of effort as the recent updates for Trickster and Saboteur. Best case scenario all it's really missing is polish in the presentation.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea no reason at all to even attempt it on chieftan anymore. Getting to 100% taken as fire is gonna be real fucking hard now, maybe even impossible?

Xevy

Log Wizard
Yea no reason at all to even attempt it on chieftan anymore. Getting to 100% taken as fire is gonna be real fucking hard now, maybe even impossible?
Maybe impossible for sure.

Cloak of Flames 40% phys to fire
Searing Exarch Shield 20%
Helmet 10%
Watcher's Eye Purity of Fire 10%

Takes you to 80%. Missing the free 20% from Ascendancy really kind of fucks that over. However with the new max res shit you can probably run a taste of hate or something else to hit 100% phys as elemental and with all your max res matching it shouldn't be a big issue. Actually lightning coil, taste of hate, and the shield put you at something like 85% phys as elemental with just 3 items and one is a flask. Not awful.

I'm going to suffer through a flicker strike chieftain to start until I probably shit myself on Exarch, Eater, and especially Maven. Then maybe I'll switch it up to Glacial Hammer (which may actually be really nice with a Tawhoa's clone) or go the inevitable minion build that will crush everything since this is very much a minion+ league with the new supports. My Rathpith Necro Aegis build can use 1-2 of those new supports to probably gain a good amount of damage on an already easy 40m dps build.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Corruption on shield, implicit on helmet, notables from Timeless jewel, I think 100% phys taken as fire is still possible. Converting your dps to fire is another issue. You can do it with Avatar of Fire, fire mastery, and gloves implicit, but this build was already getting a lot of unique affixes out of the gloves slot.

So, maybe not "Dead", but for a build that was already pretty expensive, it might be effectively dead.

Chris

Potato del Grande
It's the same shit every league.

Some weird non intuitive build that does something like converts damage and breaks the game is nerfed. Autistic people want to play the same build every league and lose their shit because it's lost a few percent damage on PoB or needs another defensive layer that would reduce damage so it's now useless.

You are making a new character anyway, look at the new gems and play the damn game.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Moron

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's the same shit every league.

Some weird non intuitive build that does something like converts damage and breaks the game is nerfed. Autistic people want to play the same build every league and lose their shit because it's lost a few percent damage on PoB or needs another defensive layer that would reduce damage so it's now useless.

You are making a new character anyway, look at the new gems and play the damn game.
Please don't shit up this thread like you do most. We know how to have non faggot conversations here.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Chris

Potato del Grande
Please don't shit up this thread like you do most. We know how to have non faggot conversations here.
I regularly post in about 10 threads max on the whole forum and this is the only forum I've posted on for a decade or more, so where do you think I learned the tone of my posts?

I've noticed a big rise in pussy safe space rage comments since Biden/COVID. It's a shame, I remember how this place used to be.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Kaom's doesn't work with that mastery that way - it's not 'technically' life regen somehow? I tried them out and you still actually regen life from the mastery rather than generate rage, which is interesting in it's own way as a means of having some regen while also getting free rage gen.

It also works for the recovery mastery that makes your life regen only happen every 4 seconds which is even more interesting.
Kaom's Spirit works with the regen from the armour/evasion mastery, tried it out just now. Do you remember your testing scenario? Might try splitting steel this league.

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
No, he's got a point. I'm a mediocre POE player at best and if something does 5% less or procs less often never made a real difference but r/POE loses their mind over every single digit change.
I found that off (meta) builds are the way to go - hence I asked for rare bosser builds two pages ago. If you play Pohx RF or Ben's DD high end items are way more expensive than some really weird but working skill no one touches with a stick.

• 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Welp, my old starter go-to used to be Ancestral totems, and of late it has been EA totems...and looks like that remains constant. Once I sold a mirror last league I was able to buy my way to a high-end build but I still burned out relatively quick and didn't even have the incentive to finish all the pinnacle bosses.

All that being said, with the shit on a cracker that was D4 I am looking forward to at least a couple of weeks in a new PoE league.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
That said I'm still pretty down on chieftan I think - unless there's been some change to how Tawhoa works or it's cooldown I'm really not seeing how you're gonna scale any kind of slam/strike in to endgame. Ancestral support is 30% more at level 10, and fist of war is obviously fine, but Tawhoa in its previous/current forms is pretty fucking bad with its 2 second cooldown and flat 100% more damage (it gets no gem links). The cooldown prevents it from mattering basically at all for strike setups, and it not getting warcry exerts or fist of war has always cucked its slam damage.

Maybe we'll get lucky and the mirage skill itself got changed, but unless that happens any kind of attack-based chieftan is pure bait - I've done it before and you'll clear campaign/white maps fine but your damage is gonna get hard stuck at around the 1-1.5m mark and you'll struggle constantly in reds and vs any kind of boss content.
I suspect you're right, but I'm curious on if the math works out on that 'jewel slots transform damage into fire damage' node.

For instance, the bleed nodes near Duelist are in range. Does that mean it would transform those from '15% damage over time multiplier for bleeding' into ignite/burning damage? Would it make the other line in that node into Fire damage as well? There's also those notables near Iron Will that are phys that could be transformed into Fire for pretty good effect. Does it also do this for cluster notables? Those are 'non-unique' jewels, after all. That might be spicy somehow.

I'm not saying that's enough to save Chieftain for a slam->ignite build but... .. maybe? The only other thing I can think of is if there's enough suffixes saved on gear from the 2 resistance ascendancy nodes to make it good. Like, stack nothing but fire res, get the Formless Flame to stack armor for defense, ????, PROFIT! Or more seriously, replica dreamfeather for a non-slam build. I think the Tawhoa node being a prerequisite kills the 7 link node and makes it pure bait.

Honestly I think you could do some kind of fire conversion slam -> stun build now with some of the new passives and masteries and supports. Ironically I think it would work better on Zerker or Jugg or even Inquis now than Chieftain, which is just wrong.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I suspect you're right, but I'm curious on if the math works out on that 'jewel slots transform damage into fire damage' node.

For instance, the bleed nodes near Duelist are in range. Does that mean it would transform those from '15% damage over time multiplier for bleeding' into ignite/burning damage? Would it make the other line in that node into Fire damage as well? There's also those notables near Iron Will that are phys that could be transformed into Fire for pretty good effect. Does it also do this for cluster notables? Those are 'non-unique' jewels, after all. That might be spicy somehow.

I'm not saying that's enough to save Chieftain for a slam->ignite build but... .. maybe? The only other thing I can think of is if there's enough suffixes saved on gear from the 2 resistance ascendancy nodes to make it good. Like, stack nothing but fire res, get the Formless Flame to stack armor for defense, ????, PROFIT! Or more seriously, replica dreamfeather for a non-slam build. I think the Tawhoa node being a prerequisite kills the 7 link node and makes it pure bait.

Honestly I think you could do some kind of fire conversion slam -> stun build now with some of the new passives and masteries and supports. Ironically I think it would work better on Zerker or Jugg or even Inquis now than Chieftain, which is just wrong.
The language on the ascendancy is very specific and there's already a jewel in game(fireborn I think?) that does this same behavior. It will not work anything that doesn't say "increased/reduced damage".

Cluster jewel notables have no distance, thus don't count in any jewel's radius. Good for a couple specific minion jewels. Bad for this one.

• 1Solidarity