Path of Exile

atalakas

Golden Knight of the Realm
Thats it. Just starting location, allows access to certain nodes faster then other tree's, so pick a class close to what kind of build you want.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Actually other difference is the spells you get from the quest rewards. While you can trade for whatever you want and use whatever you want, some classes have direct access to certain skills via rewards while others have to trade(or find the drops).

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Actually other difference is the spells you get from the quest rewards. While you can trade for whatever you want and use whatever you want, some classes have direct access to certain skills via rewards while others have to trade(or find the drops).
This.

Starting location on the passive tree is huge as well. Planning out leveling routes is clutch as are nodes for unlocking skills/equipment, though most locations have a little variety in each spot.

Later you're better off moving into another classes tree, so proximity to other trees helps.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Btw the Turbo race was rough. I was doing alright(like top 50ish or so) I think until I decided to go poke Brutus, asshole doesn't kid on Turbo. Sadly I hadn't really planned for it, I thought I'd still have time to burning arrow between hooks since I had very high attackspeed(10% from passive, 8% on bow, 8%quiver and using a shortbow) but the Turbo seems to reduce the entire spell animation/cast/backswing so basically he hooks almost instantly but starts hooking again almost right away which I didn't expect. After a few hooks he finally crit me on first hit after a hook and I died. Should have just went and made a new char for Fire trap and spammed that.

Game on Turbo reminded me a bit of D3 Inferno at release, it was a lot of completely bullshit stuff. Fun though. Some guy killed Vaal too, which is pretty fucking impressive I think.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've lost a few witches on HC and sort of want to branch out to other builds. Can you guys recommend a melee build with high AOE damage and high survivability? Not looking for any totems.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Melees have fairly terrible aoe. Your best bet is to go for a Lightning Strike build, which is kinda melee but more like a ranged attack. Cleave is an ok spell(with a 2H or DW though, not with a 1H) but the area is very small, Sweep can be pretty decent but again the area is fairly small and you need a 2H. Ground Slam is good but only if you run a 2H build, which have some issues later on due to the lack of defenses. You could use a staff though which has block and as long as you start templar or marauder, you have a fairly easy access to the 13%block passive node which would be quite helpful.

You can check the official forums for various ideas of builds, check the ones with a lot of posts though those are generally the functionning builds. There's quite a few variations of lightning strike builds for basically every class other than witch(and even witch you could make one I'm sure but it might not be quite as good).

Overall though the popular opinion among people who make builds and theorycraft a lot is that melees are inherently weaker than ranged at the moment, for various issues, lack of proper aoe, desync issues on fast movement skills, tanking stats being a bit weird to really maximize and requiring a lot of effort to do so(as well as combining multiple type together along with high health pool which severely limits builds).

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Can't seem to beat Mervail with a summon based build on a Witch. Looks like I chose poorly in char creation.

Krag

Peasant
Can't seem to beat Mervail with a summon based build on a Witch. Looks like I chose poorly in char creation.
I haven't done any summoners (or many witches in general), but just in case you don't do it already, getting a couple of rings to get your cold resist up near 75% really makes a lot of difference for Merveil. Also, you can always portal to town to get your flasks filled if you are running out health or mana on bosses.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I would love to portal cheese the encounter but how do you get enough portal scrolls? I can't find them on a vendor and I think like 5 dropped all together so far.

Where do I get cold resist rings too? I'm like "poor" in this game. Since there is no money in the game and I keep using scrolls of wisdom I don't have a happy medium.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You can sell armored scraps or whetstones for 2-3 ID scrolls each, those aren't useful until lategame and they're worth peanuts anyway because they're only useful on perfect gear and only barely so. So selling them early lets you get a nice amount of wisdom scrolls. With wisdoms you can buy TPs if you need to, but you shouldn't need to TP often, if you do you're probably doing it wrong. Similarily, you shouldn't need too many wisdoms, because you shouldn't be identifying everything. On race chars(which start with nothing), I only pick up blue boots(if they have move speed% it's really nice) and weapons and rares. Everything else I leave on the ground. Once you start dropping 3 socket items, you need to loot the ones with 3 different colors linked, they sell for a chromatic orb which you'll use later on to craft good gear. You also always need to keep an eye out for whites with good sockets, to be honest they're worth more than pretty much any blue and even most rares unless those also have good sockets. Good sockets starting at 3links and higher, lower lvl it doesn't quite matter too much.

Looting everything, identifying everything and recalling to sell is the newb trap in this game. It is actually extremely inefficient, because one TP scroll is worth 3 wisdoms, that means you need 15whites(5whites per wisdom) to get even. If you loot blues, you need to ID them to get better orbs but then you run out of wisdoms and it sucks. I did it early on but I saw people on streams and stuff leave everything but rares and tried it and it's actually much much better. I mean, do loot blues if they go in a slot you have a white in, but generally replacing a blue by a blue is pointless as fuck unless it has sockets you need.

Sockets is the most important part of the gear, armor type is second if you have specific build. Say you find a white with really good sockets, you pop an alchemy orb on it and it becomes a rare but still has the good sockets. Or if it's decent sockets but not great, you pop a transmutation orb and it becomes a magic. Don't like the stats? Use an alteration orb to change them. It's easier to find a white with good sockets and make it into a good item than find a good item that also happen to have good sockets, and later on sockets are more important than stats due to linking supports to your spells.

As for Merveil, the #1 thing is getting cold resist, and this is done with rings mainly. Check Nessa in town, she sells rings, see if she has Sapphire rings. She might not have them, and vendors only change their inventories when you lvl up, so if she doesn't, you will have to craft your own. Buy an iron ring from her(if she doesn't have any, make a new char, these sell even at lvl 1) then "sell" her the iron ring+any blue skill gem. She will trade that for a sapphire ring. If you don't have blue gems, make a Witch, run to town, get the quest reward spell+starting fireball, that's 2 blue gems.

Once you have resist, Merveil should be pretty easy. And yes summoner suck dicks early on. Especially first act, it blows. Act2 it gets slightly better especially near the end, but it's still not great. By lvl 35 or so though it's like super strong and it never becomes worse, mostly better plus the builds offers a lot of freedom. I wrote a super long summoner guide on the official witch forums if you want to check out early game tips or build and stuff like that.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I saw your guide actually, but didn't really read through it. Yeah the cold resists worked, tried it earlier tonight after what Ash said. Yeah she became real easy.

Your gear theory is solid, but my problem is that I can't find gems.

Flank_sl

shitlord
I ID level 35+ boots/gloves/helms/rings/necks (while levelling, not in maps), since they have a chance to give alch shards, and you want to start to build up a stock of alt shards anyway. Below level 35 I would only ID something if I might use it.

You need to trade for gems on your first character. Since the league is old now there are many non-quality gems to buy cheap. Dont expect to get your perfect gem setup until high level though, you wont have the funds nor the links.

Caliane

yeah, early game is just play/farm.
you'll get some chance, alch, transmute orbs naturally.

If playing with friends, you probably have a good chance to get drops. If not, might want to run solo a bit, from time to time. There is a timer on YOUR drops, but still forces you to dash for anything. and if you are playing a long range ranger/witch, you might kill stuff off screen and not even see your orb of blessing, before its up for anyone to grab.
Example, starting again last night. played a witch to level 17 in parties. got 1 orb of chance. then started a ranger. Got 3 orbs of chance by level 11, because I was solo. also had more time to pick up and vendor everything to get a stockpile of basic things like ident scrolls.

Has been a few months since I played.

I don't know. first thought, I noticed a few new things, which were nice. Voice overs. only 1 new skill noted so far. fork. new tooltip ui.

But the more I played, the more I noticed hadn't changed. which given the time frame, is a bit troublesome.

Game looks better then I remember it. haha. although, characters still look super dirty.

2 new player hints.
1. get frost resist asap. as noted. you might have gotten lucky, but seriously. I bet 90% of people die on that first quest NPC, the first time. chain stun locked from off screen, via that ice spear. (do NOT forget this when you up to the next difficultly level. Equip that frost resist just like you did Merviel.)
2. Stash is shared automatically. with lots of pages.
Organize! Set aside page 2 for gems. page 3 for quality armors that you will vendor. page 4 for rare sets you will vendor.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Someone explain to me what spell totems are, or just totems? Are they spells or are they things you can slot spells in? or both?

I also just learned that gems in a single item are linked together and that's how support gems work (I only got one from the quest and thats it. Didn't really play around with it).

Lots in this game isn't explained at all. Game seems pretty good.

Caliane

yeah thats how skills work.

You have skill gems.
3 colors. Blue, green, red.
Blue gems are int based. green dex, red str. Which means they have stat requirements as they level up. A blue gem will require int to equip at increasingly large amounts.
So any class can use any color gem, but must find a way to meet the stat requirement to equip it. Choosing to purposely NOT upgrade a gem is for this reason. Gear, and passives give stats.

Items.
Items then have colored sockets. in order to use a skill gem you need to equip it, into a correctly colored socket.

Support gems, and linked sockets.
Next, you will start seeing linked sockets on gear.
A circlet with two blue sockeets, that are linked for example.

Support gems modify how your skills work, when linked.
http://www.pathofexile.com/skills/supportgems

Usually they will increase the mana cost, in addition to their effect. Support gems also have a color. So, now you need to find an item that has the desired color combination fused for your desired skill combo.
(or make one via the fusing orbs, and chromatic recolor orbs)

I think you said ice witch? so a popular one for that is freezing pulse and lesser multiple projectiles.
Blue freezing pulse and green lesser multiple projectiles.
Lesser mutliple projectiles will make freeing pulse deal 30% less damage per, but fire off 3 shots in a shotgun blast. Result, super high short range aoe damage.

ATTACK vs SPELL. This was not clear in older versions, and one of the new things to the UI.
When you look at a skill gem, it will say what its qualifiers are.
Poison arrow for example. (aoe, attack, bow, chaos, duration) should say projectile too, but doesn't.
But we can see, its an attack. not a spell. Something that effects spells, wont effect it.

2 or more. You CAN link more then one support into a single skill. but not 2 of one kind.

http://www.pathofexile.com/skills/remoteskills
Totems, traps and mines.