Path of Exile

Flank_sl

shitlord
I made a thread ages ago on their forums about this, but the problem is with prefix mods, not CI. You can get one Life prefix mod per item. You can get one ES prefix + two local ES scaling mods. The ES is also boosted by the 20% quality.

CI is not OP until you get good level 60 gear. Then your ES doubles, while non CI characters gain maybe 25% more life.

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Anyone up for the two hour hardcore party race? A friend and I are going to run it.

nm, forget they're on NZ time.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So Kripp is streaming alpha content(up to a certain level). He showed a few of the most interesting changes:

Dual totem is now a keystone(big passive). When you get it, you cannot do damage yourself. That means only minions, totems, traps or mines can do dmg and you can still apply debuffs like curses but no more nukes. Also Spell Totem now has the same penalty as Ranged Attack totem, a -50%cast speed. So totems should be fairly balanced now but you can still make one hell of a powerful build with summoner/dual totem.

CI is probably overnerfed. It now makes chaos dmg hit your ES instead of going through. It still reduces your health to 1. The % was removed and instead you have to grab 4x6%additional ES nodes to unlock a 30% MORE ES node, so it's nerfed from 50% to 30% and you need to spend 5more points to get that. CI alone seems horrible so it seems to me that you'll have to wait until you have 6 free points to pick it. And then the issue is you can't regen ES when under the effect of constant chaos dmg(bears in waterfall cave or maps with the permanent chaos mod). To counter this, they added a passive that makes your regen acts on your ES instead of life, like GR but for regen(which I assume is flasks too not just passive). Issue being, it's in the templar area kinda, it's next to Elemental Equilibrium, so it's hard to cover all your bases and you're gonna NEED either GR or the new one to survive chaos maps at all.

Other than that nerf to Spark, nerf to Lightning arrow, no nerf to Chain in the notes(but probably have been nerfed the notes are way outdated apparently).

atalakas

watching some of kripp in act 3 and damn are some of these zones are freaking huge. I think i might just stop playing till open beta hits, im in merci, so.. im debating playing a bit more or just waiting so i dont burn myself out

Budos

List of current 0.10.0 Alpha Patch Notes

Path of Exile ? Patch Notes
Version 0.10.0 (Current Version)
Notes:

? As part of the process of entering Open Beta, we have wiped all characters and reverted them to level 1 so that their names are retained. All items have been destroyed apart from the Unique prize item ?Demigod?s Presence? and Kiwi pets. There will never be another character or item wipe.
Content:

? The city of Sarn, Path of Exile?s third act, is now available! It includes 21 areas based on 8 new tilesets, 18 completely new monster types and over 90 monster variations.

? Added Quicksilver Flasks. a type of utility flask that increases movement speed by 40% for five seconds.

? Now that Act Three has been added, we?ve removed the Ruthless difficulty level and have rebalanced around this new progression.

? Added a new ring base type ? Prismatic Ring.

? The Punishment curse has returned after being disables far a long time.

? The Molten Shell used by Goatmen has been given new art.

? Further improved the randomness of the Poois and Streems area.

? Added two new Unique Items, one of which wes designed by a Diamond supporter and one which will be given out as a prize for winning races.

? We?ve updated the art of bows in the game, induding the item models that are held by characters. Removed the recently added waypoint from the River Crossings and moved the Vaal Ruins one to a random location in that level.

? The Eternal Laboratory is now available in Art Three rather then Act Two.

? Names of rare monsters have been improved.

? Continued to incrementaily improve the art, effects, environments and sound.

? We?ve added a new Map tileset (based on the industrial Docks) and have changed the overall ordering of Maps.

? There nave been no changes to PvP in this patch. It is still accessible from Art Two Normal (level 28 cap where you can?t have entered Cruel difficulty) and Act Two Merciless (Open PvP), in the near future we?ll revamp a to add more level brackets and move it to the arenas in Sam.
Features:

? Same areas now have doors which can be opened by clicking them. You can fire projectiles through certain doors.

? We?ve added support for Premium stash tabs which can be purchased on the website. Once one is purchased, you can rename it and change its colour as often as you want.

? We?ve added the ability to render more reflective materials and have updated much of the metal in the game to be appropriately reflective.

? There?s now an option on the login screen to save your password between sessions. This can be unticked if you do not want to store a hash of your password on that computer.

? Players are now notified via chat when they?ve taken ? screenshot.

? Flasks with movement speed mods (and that Quicksilver flask itself) now display an effect on the character to show tnat you?re accelerated.

? The roofs of certain buildings in Act Three will fade away wher you enter those buildings.

? Bowstrings now twanq visibly when fired.

? You can now dismiss the quest status change notification when right click.

? The Create button on the main menu now takes you to the account creation web page.
General Balance:

? We?ve rebalanced all monster packs throughout the game so that there?s a tot more variance in their sizes. This has dramatically improved pacing, as you?ll encounter both Iarger packs of monsters and more suspenseful empty areas before some encounters.

? The bandit leaders now grant different stat bonuses on each difficulty level.

? Side areas in higher difficulty levels can now be much higher level than the areas they are next to.

? Merciless content now finishes at level 66. Map content currently progresses to level 75.

? The experience penalties on death are now 0% for Normal, 7.5% for Cruel and 15% for Merciless difficulty.

? The new player resistance penalties are 0% on Normal -20% on Cruel and -60% on Merciless difficulty.

? Skill and support gems now have balance values that go higher than level 20, so that if you get a gem at max level (which is still 20) but have items that increase the gem level, then the skill is more powerful.

? The ?Chilled? statuses from cold damage and ground ice do not stack any more.

? A Quicksilver Flask is now available as a reward from the Medicine Chest quest

? The level that the currency item drop rate penalty now deals all players above level 72 as 77 (the used to be level 63).
Skill Balance:

? High level gems are now balanced to have greater effect than before.

? Attack gem damage bonuses no longer taper off towards higher levels but now continue to increase at the same rate.

? The Elemental Equilibrium keystone passive skill now grants a flat amount (+25%) of resistance to each element you hit with and a resistance penalty (-50%) to each element not present in the hit.

? Rain of Arrows is now a level 1 Skill (from 10). Its area of effect has been increased by 20%. The delay between firing and arrows hitting the ground has been reduced by 20%. The progression of its Area of Effect has been reduced and its quality bonus has seen changed from Area of Effect to Attack Speed. Its damage effectiveness has been reduced slightly.

? Lightning Arrow has been moved to level 10 (from 1). Its mana cost and progression have been flattened. The chance to shock has been removed. A damage bonus as it levels up has been added. The number of

targets is now always 3.

? Ice Shot is now level 4 (was level 31). Its mana progression has been changed (it starts at 10 and progresses to 16 mana). The duration of chilled ground that it causes has been reduced by 20%.

? Phase Run has been retired to the plane of elemental fire to be reforged a new.

? Elemental Hit is now player level 19.

? The Additional Accuracy support gem has been improved at higher levels.

? The Life Gain on Hit support gem has been improved, especially at higher levels.

? Molten Shell now provides more Armour and has had its detonation thresholds changed.

? The Life Leech support gem has been improved.

? Shock Nova?s mana cost has been reduced.

? The passive skills that increase elemental resistance while holding a shield have been improved.

? The experience curve has been smoothed for gems that start at character level 24 or 31.

? Once Spark has bounced, it?ll only be able to pierce the same target again if it has been more than one second since the last time.
Item Balance:

? Unique items have been rebalanced (mostly up) in power. We?ve also changed defensive values on low uniques to generally just be a static bonus, rather than a large local percentage.

? Cartographer?s Chisels now drop from level 52+ monsters rather than 45+.

? Vendors in Act Three have previously unsold currency items available, such as Orbs of Alchemy.

? Block rate mods have been added to the mod pool for shields.

? The following support gems have been moved from level 15 to level 12: Faster Projectiles, Added Cold Damage. Additional Accuracy, Added Lightning Damage. Increased Critical Damage, Minion Life, Weapon Elemental Damage, Life Gain on Hit, Iron Will, Chance to Flee, Fork and Added Fire Damage.

? There are now new item mods that go up to item level 77.

? Medium Life and Mana Flasks have had thier drop level reduced to 4.

? The Adrenaline flask mod has been moved to level 5.

? Mods that increase the levels of socketed gems of specfic types by two levels have been added.

? A mod that increases the level of any gems socketed into the item by one level has been added. This can stack with one of the other gem level mods for a total bonus of +3 levels to a gem.

? The mods that affect the level of elemental gems socketed into the item can now spawn on caster weapons other than wands and staves.
Monster Balance:

? Merveil?s second form has been given new abilities. This fight will be improved later.

? The accuracy penalty has been removed from ranged monsters because of the change in 0.9.12 where you can avoid their projectiles by running out of the way.

? Sceletons casters have had their damage reduced in the early game and increased in the late game.

? Hailrake?s damage has been reduced slightly.

? Blackguards in the Western Forest have had their life increased.

? The totem mod for Maps can now spawn totems that use Lightning Warp.
Bug Fixes:

? Fixed a client crash related to Lightning Warp.

? Fixed a bug where specters and other minions would llose their implicit mods when they travel between areas.

? Fixed a targeting bug with Lightning Arrow.

? Fixed a bug with Conduit and unpartied players in the same instance.

? Fixed a bug where chilling monsters or cursing them with Temporal Chains could prevent their attacks from succeeding.

? Fixed a bug where a monster?s minions would vanish if you shattered the parent monster.

? Fixed a bug where pathfinding problems could cause certains projectile skills to not fire at aft, rather than firing into a blockage.

? Fixed a problem wlth evasion related to Lightning Strike.

? Fixed a bug where rounding errors could cause minions to spawn as dead when you change areas.

? Fixed a bug where the minimap would move to the left and right if you use the arrow keys to swap between vendor tabs.

? Fixed a bug where the Vaal Oversoul could emerge inside walls.

? Stats that increase damage taken now affect all degenerating damage, not chaos damage. They also apply to damage that hits your energy shield. rather than damage that only hits your life.

? Fixed a bug where minimising the game by clicking on the task bar entry wouldn?t mute the sound, when ?Mate when in background? was set while playing in windowed fullscreen mode.

? Fixed a bug where you could not target chests with the Leap Slam skill.

? Fixed a bug where penalties to projectile speed would make the projectiles move super fast.

? Fixed a bug where manually opened panels would be automatic ally closed by other panels.

? Fixed a bug where the social panel could be opened while your character was dead.

? Stun duration bonuses specific to weapons no longer apply to spell/secondary damage.

? Skills like Ice Nova that don?t have a target now don?t hide monster health bars while being cast.

? Increases to physical damage taken now apply correctly to physical degeneration (such as damage from Puncture).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The notes are extremely outdated though, missing a ton of stuff and some stuff isn't accurate anymore. They haven't bothered updating them it seems or something.

Currently playing a really fun build, actually hesitating about OB starting build because it's so fun. I'll wait until Merci see how it holds up later on.

It's Sword+Shield Ranger, focusing on survivability stuff first(raw health, armor/evasion mix, lots of block%). I'm using Double Strike with Blind to perma blind big mobs that hit hard which means for the most part no mob can hit me 1vs1 besides Vaal or casters. Whirling Blades, Flicker Strike and Phase Run for mobility, Whirling also used to soften mobs with aoe or gain health backs with Life on Hit gem(similar to Shadow Burst for the TL2 Berzerker). Fire Trap and Detonate Dead totem for AoE(as well as Whirling and single targetting the mobs with most health first). Detonate Dead is actually amazing IF you get a quality gem. Each % of quality on the gem is 3% cast speed, that makes it very fast if it has 10+% quality, even before you get the Spell Totem level. I use concentrated effect and increased aoe on detonate dead, the totem costs 60mana to drop which is a bit expensive but not that much, it is annoying because it pulls aggro non stop, however it does ridiculous amounts of damage on smaller mobs. It's not LA Chain, but it's very fun to see mobs blow up repeatedly. Finally using Hatred aura, Tempest Shield and planning to use Grace eventually, maybe. Depends on mana, I don't want to have less than like 150mana and currently it's already close, I need to find the right 4L to link them with Reduced Mana.

Basically, it's a pretty damn tanky char with a fuckton of avoidance via blind evasion and block so most big mobs don't even hit me, I just run around, pull a large pack, drop a fire trap on myself and the detonate dead totem next to me then I start whacking at stuff with Double Strike to get the totem rolling and everything melts around me. It could just be lightning strike and possibly do better even, but I don't like Lightning Strike too much and really like stuff like Dual and Double strike, but I had trouble surviving with my DW chars that's why I went shield instead.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Oh btw keys I got if someone wanna check the game before OB:
FRWCU-P839F-RQWRN-NXNZW
CW29F-CZJDX-L6Y95-H6X65

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Link the build. I'd like to test something other than my witch and I haven't had time to really play much and get high level to start building on my own.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I dropped the build but it was about this when I stopped:http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-s...SKr9pilKBodNhN

Goal after that would be to get more hp in the middle, the 3pt cruel blade sword node in duellist area, Frenzy charge in duellist then go through Frenzy charge in Ranger and get Fitness and then go up toward Shadow area to get the Frenzy Charge there and the massive 8% block 4pt node on the way.

I stopped because tbh it's too clunky to use, you have to use a trap, then drop a totem, then Enduring Cry to stay alive/get shit off the totem. It costs a lot of mana but Blood Magic is fairly far away so not necessarily viable and with the auras I had too much reserved to really play with, I guess I'd need to drop Wrath or Grace but then you lose quite a bit. Could also go IR+Unwavering and fuck Evasion and max armor instead but saw no point in doing so. The biggest issue really overall is 1) Detonate Dead totem pulls aggro ALL THE FUCKING TIME, like literally I cast it it detonates one corpse every mob goes for the totem, I was playing defend the totem more than having to survivie myself 2) Spell totem massive 50% cast speed nerf in alpha would run the totem efficiency anyway.

The build could be salvaged and transformed though into a Lightning Strike 1h+shield build which is probably very very strong, by doing a few things differently, mostly getting less block and focusing on weapon elemental dmg more, going in the shadow area for the 30% lightning faster. Not sure if they're gonna nerf LS or what but it's dumb.

Current build that I'm trying out, but the char is very low level, is explosive arrow fire witch. This is my current planned build:http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-s...w4GjinhJBVgps=

The logic here is that Explosive Arrow is a peculiar attack, while the initial hit will be based on typical attack stats like attackspeed, physical damage and so on, the explosion of the arrow is a non attack non spell fire aoe projectile. The key here is non attack non spell, which means castspeed and attackspeed are irrelevant, so is the actual damage on the bow or anything of the sort. I'm planning to use Quill Rain because of it which is a low lvl unique bow that has +100%attackspeed but -50%dmg. The point with it is to stack the 5explosive arrow charges asap, as the damage of the initial hit is irrelevant and the dmg reduction won't affect the charge. Then I stack fire and aoe passives, and link explosive to concentrated area for MORE damage % which means it almost doubles the damage of an aoe spell, Elemental Proliferation which means if it procs burning, it will spread it to everything around it, Increased AoE to compensate for the downside of concentrated and eventually just increase it and either Mana Leech if I need it or Fire Penetration to do more damage. The logic is you stack 5explosive arrow on a mob then Flammability the pack and watch everything burn. Explosive arrow will detonate, doing a large amount of dmg due to having 5charges+tons of firedmg/aoedmg passives, then each of the mobs hit will have a chance to ignite due to Flammability and crits, and if it does ignite, then all mobs around burn for the same dmg with proliferation. The initial blast should kill most mobs but in the case it doesn't, the massive ~200%dmg dot will kill everything anyway.

The build is very unrealistic for a new OB char though, it needs so many stupid spells that the witch doesn't get or even spells that are drop only(elemental proliferation for example) but it should be fun. I'm still only 20ish atm however so for now it's mostly spamming poison arrow and fire traps while having way too much mana for my own good. Explosive arrow looks like a huge mana sink though so the witch starting area should be great to support that.

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
I've been interested in this game since the thread started back on FOHGuild, but I've never signed up for beta because I would prefer to experience the entire game and I'm afraid I might burn out before all the acts are in and all the systems are in place. Having said that I have a few questions for those of you who have been following the game more closely.

What's the verdict on this compared to Torchlight 2?

Is Act 3 in yet, or is that being held back until OB?

Is there going to be a character wipe at the end of OB?

Freekshow_sl

shitlord
I just started playing this game over the weekend. Assuming you are using multiple monitors to get that huge viewable space? Any tips on it. I havent tried running it on more than one monitor yet, but after seeing your screenshots I might to set it up. Looks ridiculous.

Freekshow_sl

shitlord
I've been interested in this game since the thread started back on FOHGuild, but I've never signed up for beta because I would prefer to experience the entire game and I'm afraid I might burn out before all the acts are in and all the systems are in place. Having said that I have a few questions for those of you who have been following the game more closely.

What's the verdict on this compared to Torchlight 2?

Is Act 3 in yet, or is that being held back until OB?

Is there going to be a character wipe at the end of OB?
From what I've heard in game and read on the forums, act 3 is suppose to come out when Open Beta starts, and from closed to open is suppose to be the only full character wipe. Not suppose to be any after that. Also they arent fully wiping everyone characters,. They are resetting everything to level 1 with nothing in bags/stash. So you people wont lose their names.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yep correct on all points, no more char wipes after next one and Act3 for OB. OB is on the 23rd so it's very soon now. While they might not wipe anymore though, they might do what they did during beta for major patches, where they give everyone full respecs BUT they also move these characters to another league, called Legacy League where all the older chars get moved to. It works the same as the normal leagues really but it has quirks when there's like item changes and shit so you can find items with mods that don't exist anymore and stuff like that.

They might not do too many legacy leagues moves anymore, but I think they'll probably do some, giving full respecs in this game when respecs points are actually an important part of the game(and a currency) isn't good I think, especially when you can entirely swap your character to something different.

Compared to TL2 and having played TL2 extensively(about 300hours played according to steam), I'd say the combat mechanics are weaker in PoE than in TL2, TL2 combat was smoother, it felt like it had the "blizzard touch" kinda. Diablo3 is the same in that regard, just plays better. Not that PoE is horrible but it feels a bit clunky at times, somewhat like you're playing Titan's Quest or Diablo2 again, you know. Other than that though, PoE crushes the competition on all aspects or close to. Can also argue about the models and animations but the graphical style is very good imo and compensates easily, it's very "Dark Souls'ish" with a gritty realistic style and nice lightning usage. Music I prefered TL2 slightly with the strong Diablo sounding themes but PoE does a good job and I love the voice acting.

The real difference in PoE is the depth of the mechanics, builds, ability system and such. You can do so much interesting stuff, at first I wasn't convinced when I tried months ago but after having played it a lot, there's really a lot of depth. If you follow fotm builds you do the same shit all the time sure but you can make some really interesting builds by combining weird skill choices and supports, unusual starting class for a specific role(witch melee, ranger tank, marauder caster etc) and unique items. Unique items can make new builds available on their own because they have such strong abilities on them, sometimes they simply give you a passive you could spec into but by having it on an item you can change the build radically(Chin Sol with point blank for example), sometimes they have their own weird stat that make certain specific builds a lot stronger(phys dmg% gear for EK builds, Quill Rain for projectile based builds etc).

It's a really good game, and it's going to be free anyway so not trying it out if you like the genre would be stupid. It does start a bit sluggish/slow but gets better with a few levels and the more you level, the more stuff opens up to customize your character and build and make it truly unique(or truly a copy of something else ^^).

P.S.: Lagging so had to stop but my explosive arrow quill rain witch is shaping up to be insane. I'm mowing down through mobs so freaking fast it's hilarious, and with Quill Rain I attack so fast I barely stop to throw arrows at shit and kill them while kiting, very speedy build.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Surprisingly enough, it seems to me like PoE will be the hack n slash victor for quite some time, at least until there are mods that give more depth to TL2, stop drowning it with useless stats and create more interesting skills. I also really dig the no gold aspect of the game, probably the only thing missing is some kind of horadric cube, but I never got past lvl 12, so there might be something in there.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well there's no horadric cube, but there's recipes. You simply sell certain combination of stuff and the vendor gives you different rewards than usual. For example the most commonly used one is selling an Iron ring(basic 1-2dmg ring)+a blue skill gem for a sapphire ring(cold resist, used for the act1 final boss). You can sell 7iron rings+a rare ring to get a rare amulet, or an amulet+1 skill gem of each color for an onyx amulet and so on.

You also have more peculiar recipes like selling 1 unidentified rare of each slot for a Chaos Orb or selling 3 rares having the same names to get an Orb of Alchemy.

Also for utility purposes, selling a skill gem+scouring orb will delvl that gem by 1, this lets you refress the progression on a gem if you advanced it too far and don't have the stats anymore to use it or want to use it on another char(cheap to buy a new one most of the time for that though).

Then you have the whole crafting system which lets you tweak items a lot by changing their rarity, rerolling their stats randomly, maximizing the amount of mods on the item, changing their implicit modifier, changing their sockets amounts and colors and the strongest and rarest of all currency item, the Mirror, which lets you make a perfect replica of an item to use for yourself.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Well, that strongly reminds me of MedianXL crafting with all the rerolling and upgrading, the only thing missing are crafting shrines and runewords from the latest versions
biggrin.png
Aaaand maybe the reroll as unique and sacred items, which were breaking the game regularly.

Caliane

yeah, the shop is pretty much literally the hordradic cube.

PoE does stand out.
First, it far and away "feels" like a sequel to D2. Yet, at the same time it also takes some of the biggest leaps in design. which is pretty remarkable. The game took bigger risks, and feels more like a sequel to d2, then the games that were made by D2 legacy, and took less risks.

The map system is like D2. (not drop maps, the actual game zones) Square boxes basically. D2 and TL both use much more advanced procedurally generated maps. which are more visually coherent, and interactive.. But in the end, are they more fun? and I think the answer might be. no they arent. We tend to get more long hallways. or long hallways to a dead end in those games.

TL 1 innovated the map items. Both TL2 and PoE have the same map items with mods to effect the areas that they spawn. d3 derping it up and not having this at all.

Skills and skill progression. PoE knocked this one out of the park. Having skills be skill point based, forces you to sit there and dick around with 1 or no points in a skill in TL till you get the level you need for the 1 you actually want. That sucks. While the skills tend to be fun, and well animated, and diverse. There isn't much real customization. you basically pick 1 skill and max it. and maybe one or 2 others. but largely just passives past that 1 or 2 main skills. D3's skill system is just plain retarded. while thankfully it doesn't force you to play with level 1 skills for 60 levels while you wait to unlock that 1 you want to play with. it still forces you to dick around with skills you don't want while waiting to unlock what you do.
PoE of course kills it. gem based has a ton of advantages. Get a gem drop or quest on high level char? transfer it to a new char. Skills level up with you. Support gems modifying skills. creating amazing diversity.
Then that ties into gear itself.

In PoE all gear is relevant all the time. White items that have the right number of sockets or colors for what you need for your gems, are always relevant. just need to enchant it. TL2? white/greens are just vendor fodder for the cash to enchant. D3? rmah. lol.

Graphics. TL2 is pretty. great art style. good animations.
D3 is inexplicably poor graphics. resolution is terrible. Good art style.
PoE at first glance is ugly. It uses a very dark, dreary, ugly art style. animations are poor, or intentionally stiff. Just look how a witch hunches over all the time. But at the same time, the resolution, lighting etc, is actually higher then the other two. The rain, lightning effects for example.

Anyone can use anything allows crazy builds in PoE.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Also I killed Warden for the first time yesterday, I didn't expect to have serious butcher flashback, which made it so awesome, because I had no idea who or what to expect. Then he made mincemeat out of me. Compare that to the overdesigned blob of fat from D3 and we have a winner.

As far as graphics go, I think they fit well with PoE, it's dreary world with only a few living people and no civilization whatsoever. Compare that to D3 where you have company almost all the time showing some story down your throat...