Path of Exile

HUH_sl

shitlord
I think i've gone through every popular build so far and even a few stupid ones I made up myself but I can't find anything I enjoy. I like a lot of things about the game but the combat and skills just kill it for me. Fuck. Hopefully they'll add some new skills soon.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Is there a way to look up the passives of players you see in game?
Don't think so, you can look up their items on the website but not their specs iirc. They'd probably add that eventually, if at least being able to parse the calculator links ingame directly and shit like that.

Skrigg

Golden Squire
Prismatic Rings - I assume its not worth alch'ing these unless they are perfect which i hear is 12%? Also is your character level what determines the roll on an alch'd item - aka save don't alch till 60-70+?

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Prismatic Rings - I assume its not worth alch'ing these unless they are perfect which i hear is 12%? Also is your character level what determines the roll on an alch'd item - aka save don't alch till 60-70+?
Item level is based on what lvl area you got it from. Hold the item on your cursor and /itemlevel to know exactly.

Item level determines item stat caps, etc.

Toxxulian_sl

shitlord
So i love playing my witch, but I hate being female, is there a major issue in playing a templar and going full caster? or should I just stick to the witch?

Budos

So i love playing my witch, but I hate being female, is there a major issue in playing a templar and going full caster? or should I just stick to the witch?
Templar is dope for elemental based casters. You get spark pretty early which is decent enough still, especially so if you have a friend leveling a dex character that will get fork early (ranger, shadow, duelist).

Shadow is just as good too, gets frost wave early that works well with LMP (which it also gets from quests).

Skrigg

Golden Squire
The only issue is where you start on the passive tree. I'm playing a caster templar and while I am super tough my damage and mana is lacking because it will take me longer to get to the witch/shadow side where those nodes are. In the end it will be basically the same.

There is no problem it will just take a lil bit longer to get to the minion nodes if your going summoner that is.

Caliane

you can do shadow as well as full caster pretty easy.
you should see my witch build.

Goes to shadow first, then cuts over to curse and templar.
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-s...aPRh0U-tL3welz

Works well with ice spear, freezing pulse. shadow even gets the dex for multi proj easy. And temporal chains.

I held up doing act 3 for a bit, to level a ranger to act 2, and get faster proj, and lmp as quest rewards to transfer to my witch.
Seriously, if you plan on witch, do a ranger for those 2 as well.. save alot of time, and effort on trying to trade for them.
Also if you don't get clarity at level 10, reroll another.

But, did start up 3. Defiantly a difficulty spike it seemed. crematorium especially is just wow. fire resist for most of it, swapping to lit resist for the boss I guess.
no idea how to beat the end boss straight up at. she was kicking my ass. couldnt' even kill her off screen with icespears. Had to get into a party to kill her.

Statues are awesome. solari temple is pretty amazing.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Damn, Piety killed me on cruel, lvl 50 dead
frown.png

Piety is complete bullshit as a summoner, like most of act3 really. Was taking some risks so I didn't have to fight for 30mins and she somehow bursted me down with an iceshot crit or something.

Not a big deal but I had just bought a 17%quality mana leech so that sucks a bit. Oh well got a bunch of stuff, I'm probably gonna make a higher damage char next, minions are way too shitty in act3 and they were already kinda shitty in some places in the first 2 acts, annoying. Only good thing is the OP spectres.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Act3 is like Titan quest meets Diablo and it's awesome. Piety was just fine for my ranger, didn't even die, too bad she dropped crap for me
frown.png

I'm going to spoil the story, so stop reading:

You get the key from the tower from Piety and the guy is saying something about a really bad guy at the top who is unreachable and he never saw anyone leave or enter the tower, yet the entrance leads to next difficulty. Is that content they have yet to announce and patch in, is that a plothole or do you only get to fight him at the max difficulty or something ?

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I'm sure there will be an act4 but focuses in open beta will revolve around stability, reading feedback and trying to stamp out cheating and any current bugs. That's a ton of work for a small operation like, well, mostly Chris I think.

Skrigg

Golden Squire
Act3 is like Titan quest meets Diablo and it's awesome. Piety was just fine for my ranger, didn't even die, too bad she dropped crap for me
frown.png

I'm going to spoil the story, so stop reading:

You get the key from the tower from Piety and the guy is saying something about a really bad guy at the top who is unreachable and he never saw anyone leave or enter the tower, yet the entrance leads to next difficulty. Is that content they have yet to announce and patch in, is that a plothole or do you only get to fight him at the max difficulty or something ?
Act 3 actually isn't complete the rest of it is coming in OB I believe. Also I think they are adding 1 act per year and plan to develop for 10 years so might be numerous plot holes as we go along.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
For the content missing, they talked about it in the Gamespot interview, they said it was Act3 Ex(tended I guess?). They decided to cut a part of act3 to make the deadlines and shit and it's fine since Act3 is already pretty fucking big anyway, but they're going to add this soon, within a couple of months at most. Act4 is also in the works, but probably shouldn't expect for like 6+months I'd say. And yeah they said they're planning on 10acts eventually, at about 1act per year.

It's quite an amazing game from such a small studio, and it seems they're being rewarded for it too as it seems like 95% of the people I saw in Cruel in town either had a Kiwi or cosmetic effects, if not both and multiple of each. So it seems their F2P system is actually working pretty well, even though truthfully I think a lot of the cosmetics are way overpriced considering(but I also don't give a fuck they are since it's well, cosmetics).

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
So I have been going back and forth between dual wield or sword and board with my duelist. Dual wield gives a nice bump to dps but there are moments when I take a big chunk of damage.

Thisis my build so far.

I wasn't going to go for Iron Reflexes and Unwavering stance at first, but now I am. I might refund some nodes when I get it all sorted out.

Anyways, I have been using frenzy and flicker strike, that's a lots of fun right there. It might not be as efficient as any caster spamming aoe spells, but bouncing around the screen at 100 miles per hour is a blast.

So for packs of melee enemies I frenzy up and then use cleave + life gain on hit. For ranged enemies I charge up frenzy and then flicker strike around. If I am going sword and board I also mix in shield charge to start combat/ get to stragglers and archers/ get around large maps quicker.

For bosses I just frenzy up then flicker and repeat. Or if I am dual wielding I will frenzy up and use dual strike. I would like to get my hands on a blood rage gem at some point.

Melee seems a little under powered compared to range in this game. I understand I haven't exactly power gamed the crap out of my skill choices, but it seems there are just more interesting and powerful support gem options for projectile attacks. Hopefully they add in more creative melee skills and supports.

All in all I like the game a lot. It still seems to have some rough edges in the balance department with certain skills being incredibly powerful while other are kinda useless, but that has been true for just about every ARPG.

twincannon_sl

shitlord
... or do you only get to fight him at the max difficulty or something ?
Dunno what GGG has planned but some kind of "you get knocked out and wake up on the beach again in a higher difficulty" gimmick would actually be a kind of neat way to explain the Diablo style difficulty system.

Act 3 is already pretty big like Pyros said so it would be neat if they did something like this, I feel like the length of normal feels about right... at least the difficulty scaling, act 3 is pretty rough, it's nice when you finish it and go back to cruel where you can kind of relax for a little again (heh that said I just chain died in friggin Fetid Pool haha, damn rhoas).

edit: Also wondering if anyone can help with some build advice. So I'm playing an iron grip ranger and have pretty much fleshed out the framework for the build with Iron Reflexes/Unwavering Stance/Blood Magic/Iron Grip. Problem is right now it's basically little more than the framework, lots of traveling and not much meat on the bones. I only have a couple life nodes. But I'm worried about my beginning choices - I went down the evasion% path at ranger start and I'm thinking about respeccing into the damage side.

I.e. my build as it stands is this:current build, and I'm wondering if I should respec into this:build w/ revamped start area. I've heard armor has gotten better though and with IR that evasion% does help with armor. But I'm not guaranteed to be wearing all evasion gear, so if I'm wearing all armor the evasion% won't help as much. But still I know the rule of thumb is survival>damage so I just don't know if this is a wise choice... and I know it's only 4 points saved in the end, but I'd rather do it sooner than later because of the point investment, it'd take a lot longer to do this later on.

Budos

edit: Also wondering if anyone can help with some build advice. So I'm playing an iron grip ranger and have pretty much fleshed out the framework for the build with Iron Reflexes/Unwavering Stance/Blood Magic/Iron Grip. Problem is right now it's basically little more than the framework, lots of traveling and not much meat on the bones. I only have a couple life nodes. But I'm worried about my beginning choices - I went down the evasion% path at ranger start and I'm thinking about respeccing into the damage side.

I.e. my build as it stands is this:current build, and I'm wondering if I should respec into this:build w/ revamped start area. I've heard armor has gotten better though and with IR that evasion% does help with armor. But I'm not guaranteed to be wearing all evasion gear, so if I'm wearing all armor the evasion% won't help as much. But still I know the rule of thumb is survival>damage so I just don't know if this is a wise choice... and I know it's only 4 points saved in the end, but I'd rather do it sooner than later because of the point investment, it'd take a lot longer to do this later on.
If you play on softcore, dmg > survivability. On hardcore, always get defenses.

For that build, get the evasion nodes and make a bee-line for Iron-Reflexes (should have it at 15). That makes you super tough early and you shouldn't have issues for dying.

just started playing this a few hours ago. lost my templar hardcore char already lol. now im trying ranger.

how do i join cutthroat league? or ironman? all i see is hardcore and default.

twincannon_sl

shitlord
Yeah that build is what I'm using right now. Playing softcore with this character but I'm in cruel now so would rather focus on not dying. The big question is should I spec out of that evasion and into damage while I still can? Is it even worth it?