Path of Exile

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Found it all kind of meh. They really need to do something to bring new life to mapping. There hasnt been any serious changes to it since release and its getting pretty stale. There was supposed to be big end game changes with Awakening but they didnt have time for it so it got delayed until the next big update. I guess its getting pushed again.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
One thing that confuses me about Ascended classes is that they pretty much narrow down viable specs for each class. I know all haven't been revealed yet, but now your bonuses for not rolling a class are pretty much ~10 skill points until you run into another class' part of the tree. That's going to kill a ton of old characters, or at least make them heavily sub-optimal. Granted, I'm not sure to what extent people were actually doing that, mainly due to available skill gems, but still quite interesting.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Not really thrilled about the subclass idea. One of PoE's coolest parts was that you could do whacky shit with the passive tree. Now it sounds like "If you want to go pet build you have to go Necro Witch."

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
But not really though. You can do a duellist summoner champion to have perma fortify and the damage aura. We don't know templar and shadow other trees so those might be good also. There's also the fact that you went witch for summoner all the time to begin with, other than Scion(which I'm sure is going to have a crazy subclass with every build type rolled in it somehow).

The Necro subclass is nice, but it's not anything that would make or break a summoner build, in fact if you're not a spectre build, it's relatively so so. The offering on yourself is probably the biggest buff, and that's something you could get the equivalent of in a non summoning based build.

Summoner is really specific too and probably not the best example. Almost everything else can benefit from multiple trees already, and they've only shown half of them.

In fact, having subclasses will make similar builds a lot more different. There's almost no difference in skill tree atm between a templar, marauder, witch or shadow caster. The marauder will have more health, the other 3 are literally the same builds currently minus 1-3points, the only difference is cosmetic. Making it so each class has a distinct style to the caster build, I don't really see how that's a bad thing. Now you might say, but if one's better, everyone's going to play that, and sure that's possibly an issue, but that's only if they really fuck up the balance. Otherwise you'll have marginally better classes to do one specific build, but other will have different flavors like being crit based or having better defenses or utility or whatnot.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
If anything the subclasses open the door to much more diverse builds, I'm coming up with a lot of crazy ideas to try unless they get nuked with nerfs. Darkshrines are such an amazing addition to the game also now that recipes are known on how to control outcomes.

Tenks

Talisman league sounds fun. May give a character a whirl. May actually roll a HC toon as well.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The thing I liked is they made it non intrusive, they said it was an important thing they found out, but last league had those fucking tempests everywhere being annoying as fuck, so maybe they hadn't figured that out yet. I mean tempests were cool, most of the time, but then you'd get fucking tempests in those hard act 3/4 zones/boss fights and you'd have to wait for them to go, it was just a pain in the dick. Here you do have 1(or more) big mob but you can just quicksilver past it like any other shit rare, and if you want the real challenging stuff you need to summon it at the stones so you know what to expect and you can clear the place and shit.

Rigwald sounds interesting too and I assume he'll be added as part of the core game at the end, in some way(not sure they'll keep the whole talisman thing, sounds annoying to get enough talisman if they reduce the spawn rate once it's integrated, maybe they'll just remove tiers and shit).

But maybe I'll fuck around with one of these chaos spells shit. Chaos witch sounds pretty nice and new. The blade thing looks cool but I can't help but think everyone's gonna be playing that shit and Cybil's Paw and CoC Cyclone shit is gonna be super expensive and everyone's gonna be that.

That said I don't think I'll play, I'll wait for Ascendency I think. The subclasses are really the kind of changes that appeal to me. I love leveling different builds and shit and I have leveled so many builds now I kinda get bored, but those subclasses feel like they'll give me a lot of cool variation on existing shit.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
The new chaos damage spells look like their intent is for you to apply the dot (essence drain), then spread the dot (contagion), then buff the dot (wither). I was interested in the chaos stuff at first, but the more I think about it, I feel like having a rotational playstyle in a game like PoE could get tedious after a while. Give me a 1 button blow everything up build and let me melt face.

Carl_sl

shitlord
Not to mention that if youre having to cast multiple spells just to get your damage out youre already way slower than most builds.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Talisman league sounds fun. May give a character a whirl. May actually roll a HC toon as well.
If you or anyone else want to join up I'm going to be playing when the patch drops with my RL bros.

The raid boss being added has me so GD excited, I hope he has an Uber version like Atziri. Speaking of we loaded up the guild bank in standard with nice uniques and even put an Atziri 2h Axe in there for people who play standard.

Tenks

If you or anyone else want to join up I'm going to be playing when the patch drops with my RL bros.

The raid boss being added has me so GD excited, I hope he has an Uber version like Atziri. Speaking of we loaded up the guild bank in standard with nice uniques and even put an Atziri 2h Axe in there for people who play standard.
I don't think I'll play enough to consistently group but I'll probably level another duel fire totem toon. You guys play HC I assume?

-edit-

When does the patch drop? I'm off work starting 12/14 till the end of the year so I'll be swimming in free time.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't think I'll play enough to consistently group but I'll probably level another duel fire totem toon. You guys play HC I assume?

-edit-

When does the patch drop? I'm off work starting 12/14 till the end of the year so I'll be swimming in free time.
Ill be playing SC this time around until I learn the hardest difficulty of the raid. It comes out Friday the 11th but the manifesto about nerfs / buffs is going to be out by the end of this week Bex posted.

Tenks

Hm alright. I'll roll SC again. Probably for the best since I still don't fully understand the mechanics of this game.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Not to mention that if youre having to cast multiple spells just to get your damage out youre already way slower than most builds.
Not necessarily. Consider it like this, a normal build will cast the same skill 2-4times to kill everything. Now castspeed and shit makes it fast, but almost no build kills everything in only one usage of the skill, you generally stop, cast twice or so if using a strong build, kill everything, move on. Now the difference is instead of casting 2-4times the same skill, you instead cast 2 different skills once or twice. Because of the way the dot spread and probably doesn't stack, a single application is all you want to do, then you move on and stuff dies as you're moving(you'll need a good item filter for it though). I'm really not sold on the slow/dmg increase one either, I think single dot > spread is all you're gonna do, the other shit seems meh unless you put it on a totem or use it in some sort of weird support build.

That said I don't know how efficient it'll be in the end and all, plus using multiple skills has a massive downside, it's the fact you need 2 buttons for it. Some builds have a lot of room, but I like having a lot of utility shit on my bars like Decoy totem, Enduring Cry, movement skill and such so it might be annoying, depends on the build though.

What will be interesting however is wether or not just the base skill is good enough.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hm alright. I'll roll SC again. Probably for the best since I still don't fully understand the mechanics of this game.
Just ask if there is anything you need help with, this game has a steep learning curve in every aspect. I think it took me over a year of playing to be able to make my own builds that worked at the high end and really understand the meta shifts.

Tenks

I remember being highly confused about interactions between my gear and totems. Like if I wear a shield with +20% spell damage. Are my totems doing 20% more damage? What about a wand that adds +1-10 fire damage? Do my totems do +1-10 fire damage per shot?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I remember being highly confused about interactions between my gear and totems. Like if I wear a shield with +20% spell damage. Are my totems doing 20% more damage? What about a wand that adds +1-10 fire damage? Do my totems do +1-10 fire damage per shot?
Your totems use your stats when they cast to determine stuff, so yeah your spell damage affects totems. Your totem damage also affect totems. The downside with totems is positionning(in some cases), targetting, the possibility they die and spelltotem itself has a cast speed penalty. Oh and since you need to spend points on totem related nodes in the tree, you'll have less points in casting spell or survivability stuff. But generally speaking, almost everything that affects you also affects totems. You can't give charges to totems though(power/frenzy charge), however if you have the charges yourself they'll use the speed/crit from the charges to cast so that also works.

Minions on the other hand(zombies, spectres and shit) are way different. Almost nothing you have affects them unless it specifically says it affects minions or is an aura/debuff on the mob.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Unless you are rather serious/experienced, I think the game makes for a fairly crappy HC experience. Desyncs are thankfully not a problem anymore, but I still get random disconnects, freezes and stutters that can be deadly and those deaths would feel VERY cheap on hardcore.

Tenks

Yeah I suppose since GGG is pretty good about keeping leagues fresh that the economy being royally fucked in SC like in most ARPGs is a bit less severe here.

Tenks

Your totems use your stats when they cast to determine stuff, so yeah your spell damage affects totems. Your totem damage also affect totems. The downside with totems is positionning(in some cases), targetting, the possibility they die and spelltotem itself has a cast speed penalty. Oh and since you need to spend points on totem related nodes in the tree, you'll have less points in casting spell or survivability stuff. But generally speaking, almost everything that affects you also affects totems. You can't give charges to totems though(power/frenzy charge), however if you have the charges yourself they'll use the speed/crit from the charges to cast so that also works.

Minions on the other hand(zombies, spectres and shit) are way different. Almost nothing you have affects them unless it specifically says it affects minions or is an aura/debuff on the mob.
Can you explain endurance charges in lay terms for me as well?