Path of Exile

Explosivo_sl

shitlord
When using things like fusings, is the chance that you get more linked sockets lower or is there an equal chance of any link configuration?

Raes

Vyemm Raider
When using things like fusings, is the chance that you get more linked sockets lower or is there an equal chance of any link configuration?
It's lower. Someone posted the percentages in this thread not too long ago, I think. Also, socket colors are more likely to roll a certain color based on the item type, like int req gloves will turn blue more often, etc.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Here are the percentages of link on a 6-socket item

6 linked (only 1 position): 0.33%
5 linked (regardless of position): 2.17%
4 linked (regardless of position): 15.96%
3 linked (regardless of position): 42.56%
2 linked (regardless of position): 61.51%
0 linked (only 1 position): 0.70%

Obviously percentages change with the number of sockets on an item. For instance, getting a 5L on a 6-socket item is much more likely thank a 5L on a 5-socket item. You basically have double the odds on a 6-socket item, since you have 2 link possibilities, linking 1-2-3-4-5, OR 2-3-4-5-6, On a 5-socket item there's only 1 possibility. So a 5L on a 5-socket item is more like 1% or so.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Here are the percentages of link on a 6-socket item

6 linked (only 1 position): 0.33%
5 linked (regardless of position): 2.17%
4 linked (regardless of position): 15.96%
3 linked (regardless of position): 42.56%
2 linked (regardless of position): 61.51%
0 linked (only 1 position): 0.70%

Obviously percentages change with the number of sockets on an item. For instance, getting a 5L on a 6-socket item is much more likely thank a 5L on a 5-socket item. You basically have double the odds on a 6-socket item, since you have 2 link possibilities, linking 1-2-3-4-5, OR 2-3-4-5-6, On a 5-socket item there's only 1 possibility. So a 5L on a 5-socket item is more like 1% or so.
Not sure where you got this information but the only comprehensive log I know of is here:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/203971

and is much more pessimistic.
Complete logged six-socket data:
71683 - Four-link or less
437 - Five-links
94 - Six-links
-----
72214 - Total

Approximated Chances (95% reliable margin of error):
Four-link or less: 99.26% ?0.06% (99.20-99.33%)
Five-link: 0.61% ?0.06% (0.55-0.66%)
Six-link: 0.130% ?0.026% (0.104-0.156%)

Expected Orb of Fusing Consumption per Craft:
Five-link or six-link: 136 (125-149)
Six-link only: 768 (639-963)

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Been rolling with a build that seems absurdly op for the last day or so. I got remote mined spectres with LMP and health and I have the extra spectre node, so I have 2x LMP'd mobs from Solaris temple that shoot the LMP fireballs that fork. So my LMP combined with their native LMP makes each of them shoot like 5-6 fireballs at a time, and they don't have the normal spectre reduced damage because of how remote mine scales. I also use a few zombies with added fire and health as a buffer.

Ontop of this, I'm using dual totem spork with elemental equilibrium. So i throw some totems down, everything gets hit for -50 resist, then the fireballs just mow everything the fuck down. I'm in areas 3-4 levels over me and it's just plowing everything over with my shit gear. It's pretty unreal.

edit - just killed merc brutus in under 5 seconds. I don't even want to play this toon in pubs because its so strong.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Facebreaker + Melee AoE Spalsh + Dominating Blow is pretty fun in normal so far. Have to love one punching a couple of rares then getting their auras on you for 10-20 seconds

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
To those of you who hate the current economy it looks like someone has createdthis. It indexs the shop forums and creates this searchable list.

I just found it so I don't have a review of it yet but wanted to share it in case anyone has any immediate item needs.

http://poexplorer.com/

*update* Just tried it. It works. Searched for a rare wand for for my low end character then clicked buy now and it takes you to the forum post where you get the guys end game name and make him an offer. Fast and easy.

Venijk

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Cool. At the least this makes it much easier to get a ball-park price check on things.

Mountain Man_sl

shitlord
So I just started playing this. No idea what took so long. So far it looks like a far superior game to D3. I have a question regarding skills' stat requirements. I started a marauder and have been using Cleave because the best weapons I seem to find are always axes or swords. So I leveled Cleave up to level 5 and now I can no longer level it up because level 6 requires 18 dex and I only have 14. Is it a waste to take a dex passive? I can imagine higher levels of Cleave will require even more dex so I would probably have to drop a couple more in dex passives if I don't get some gear with dex on it. I just have no idea what high end gear will offer. I figure I am going to screw up my first character but I don't want to completely blow it. So a few options:

-Take dex passive and refund later if I find gear.
-Ditch Cleave. Find a mace for Ground Slam.
-Just use Cleave at level 5 until I find a better mace so I can use Ground Slam.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
Depends on what you want for an endgame build, but ground slam and leap are good. Plus theres tons of mace passives around the marauder tree, and the do the highest single hit damage.

Bloodmagic/2h maces/ground slam/leap/lifeleech IMO

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Mountain Man I would suggest not worrying about screwing up your first character. You will earn refund points which you can use later on to respect a bit but more importantly youwillhave multiple characters as you play more.

I would also suggest that you put points early on into survival nodes and 50+ put them into DPS nodes. This isn't strictly required but it is usually a good idea and often your damage early on will be more then enough to level on.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So I just started playing this. No idea what took so long. So far it looks like a far superior game to D3. I have a question regarding skills' stat requirements. I started a marauder and have been using Cleave because the best weapons I seem to find are always axes or swords. So I leveled Cleave up to level 5 and now I can no longer level it up because level 6 requires 18 dex and I only have 14. Is it a waste to take a dex passive? I can imagine higher levels of Cleave will require even more dex so I would probably have to drop a couple more in dex passives if I don't get some gear with dex on it. I just have no idea what high end gear will offer. I figure I am going to screw up my first character but I don't want to completely blow it. So a few options:

-Take dex passive and refund later if I find gear.
-Ditch Cleave. Find a mace for Ground Slam.
-Just use Cleave at level 5 until I find a better mace so I can use Ground Slam.
A thing to note, most people keep cleave at 5 anyway. That's because at 6, it costs 1mana more, which isn't much early on but will add up once you have many supports on your cleave. For most attacks, you generally don't want to overlvl them and keep them low for mana issues, as the scaling is generally fairly poor anyway.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
To those of you who hate the current economy it looks like someone has createdthis. It indexs the shop forums and creates this searchable list.

I just found it so I don't have a review of it yet but wanted to share it in case anyone has any immediate item needs.

http://poexplorer.com/

*update* Just tried it. It works. Searched for a rare wand for for my low end character then clicked buy now and it takes you to the forum post where you get the guys end game name and make him an offer. Fast and easy.
This is the best way to shop for items but it sucks for three reasons:
1. If you're shopping for endgame gear half the results will be people's "here's my gear, offer an upgrade for one of my items".
2. You actually have to get on at the same time as the other person to enact the trade.
3. The economy in general is so illiquid that it's hard to come to terms with people. The opportunity cost of transactions is so high that everyone is high-balling their 100 items hoping to get one person to overpay for one item.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Whoa, people are definitely robbing accounts left and right, not like I had much. Well, that's what I get for using same/similar passwords for services I don't pay money for and old throwaway email account :-( Does GGG rollback stolen items or not ?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Whoa, people are definitely robbing accounts left and right, not like I had much. Well, that's what I get for using same/similar passwords for services I don't pay money for and old throwaway email account :-( Does GGG rollback stolen items or not ?
Sadly they do not. Say it would be too easy people to abuse. Sorry to hear that man.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
rrr_img_23874.jpg

My precious......

rrr_img_23874.jpg

DMK_sl

shitlord
So I'm playing a Marauder. Is there a certain set up with gems that everyone is going with? At the moment I mainly use Ground Slam/Cleave and Heavy strike.. Any tips? P.S still loving this game.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So I'm playing a Marauder. Is there a certain set up with gems that everyone is going with? At the moment I mainly use Ground Slam/Cleave and Heavy strike.. Any tips? P.S still loving this game.
On my Ground Slam/Heavy strike Marauder, I really like using added fire damage, because that just adds more fire damage(a % of your physical), it's not taking away from physical damage to convert it to fire, its extra fire damage on top of your full physical. Obviously life leech is good once you get to higher levels since it is a % of your physical damage.

My Marauder who is in the 60s is running Ground Slam - life leech - added fire damage - melee physical damage - Increase area of effect. Luckily I have a 5L chest, if I only had a 4L chest I'd have to decide which is more important, more DPS with added fire, or more area of effect if my DPS is fine without fire. More are of effect is nice for clearing/farming faster.