Path of Exile

Khane

Got something right about marriage
So I was messing around with a Cold Snap of Power idea for either Slayer/Occultist and came across this profile on PoENinja and it's a very interesting build and probably a lot of fun to play. This is a very high budget version obviously but you can probably hit 40+mil dps on a much lower budget:

Level 97 LL Crit Cold Snap of Power Slayer [3.23]

Cold Snap of Power can bypass CD when consuming power charges and inherently has 50% chance to grant power charge on crits, add power charge on crit support and 100% crit chance and you are always generating power charges any time you hit something so you can always bypass the CD

And with Awakened Spell Cascade and the huge AoE it has, it probably covers the entire screen on each cast

If you have some currency to burn this might an interesting one to put together.

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
I think in most games, this is a fine approach. Take your time, learn the game, prepare for a next playthrough.

In PoE... this approach is basically meaningless. In most cases the only thing you're going to learn is, nothing. That probably sounds ridiculous but it's true.

You should just abandon the Standard character and finish the league out in Affliction, and take the minor charity from the people on this forum to flesh out a beginner build guide, and then try to understand why that build guide works. It probably won't click, but you'll at least see the difference in power and begin to understand what a functional character can feel like.

In most games just accepting gear will, inevitably, lead to burn out. The game will feel easy, there won't be a sense of satisfaction, and you'll "clear" the game with very little effort of your own. PoE is basically the opposite, even with help you likely won't finish your Atlas, you almost definitely will still not kill all the Ubers, and you won't even scratch the surface of all the different game mechanics. Not accepting help will likely, inevitably, lead to you thinking the game is ridiculous and unplayable and the brick walls are so intense it could very well lead you to just... giving up on the game entirely. It's a major problem with PoE for new players.

Most of the systems and the verbiage on mechanics within PoE make no fucking sense.
Idk I really like the LS Champ but dont see myself running through the campaign for a 3rd time, at least not until the next league starts. Like, I get what you're saying, but I'm not experienced enough to be able to fly through the campaign in a few hours.

Probably took me 3 days for the LS, and even longer for the boneshatter since that was my first char. My atlas is at 75/132 or whatever, so Im not doing too bad. Think I just need enlighten support to free up more space for auras.

If I do get frustrated, I'll let you know if I cave and make a new char......whats a good Duelist build I could use for fast progress?

Trade on standard does blow, but I did get the perserverance for 1c. (I gave the guy 5c since he responded like right away)

Khane

Idk I really like the LS Champ but dont see myself running through the campaign for a 3rd time, at least not until the next league starts. Like, I get what you're saying, but I'm not experienced enough to be able to fly through the campaign in a few hours.

Probably took me 3 days for the LS, and even longer for the boneshatter since that was my first char. My atlas is at 75/132 or whatever, so Im not doing too bad. Think I just need enlighten support to free up more space for auras.

If I do get frustrated, I'll let you know if I cave and make a new char......whats a good Duelist build I could use for fast progress?

Trade on standard does blow, but I did get the perserverance for 1c. (I gave the guy 5c since he responded like right away)

Well, Lightning Strike is kind of a meh skill without gear and Champ, this league, is kind of a meh ascendancy because of all the power you get from the league mechanic and new/changed items. But you aren't experiencing that power because you are playing Standard.

If you get hooked up with some leveling gear you will breeze through the campaign and be in yellow maps with very little effort. There are a lot of powerful leveling items in PoE that are very cheap and I'm sure someone here could give you a bunch of them.

You can watch this video to see how much faster the campaign is with leveling gear

If you want you can @Kharoo_Wand in game on an Affliction character and I can give you a bunch of stuff, some of it I will want back (like my 6 link 249% widow hail) but I can give you a bunch of stuff to get your rolling.

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Well, Lightning Strike is kind of a meh skill without gear and Champ, this league, is kind of a meh ascendancy because of all the power you get from the league mechanic and new/changed items. But you aren't experiencing that power because you are playing Standard.

If you get hooked up with some leveling gear you will breeze through the campaign and be in yellow maps with very little effort. There are a lot of powerful leveling items in PoE that are very cheap and I'm sure someone here could give you a bunch of them.

You can watch this video to see how much faster the campaign is with leveling gear

If you want you can @Kharoo_Wand in game on an Affliction character and I can give you a bunch of stuff, some of it I will want back (like my 6 link 249% widow hail) but I can give you a bunch of stuff to get your rolling.
Much appreciated, Ill think it over this weekend and maybe figure out a build Id lkke to try on Affliction. Just want something fun to play and tanky, Lightning Strike is enjoyable to me since its almost melee but not quite....and aside from boneshatter melee doesn't seem to be in a good spot.

Khane

Any melee strike skill is fine, because you can turn any melee strike skill into boneshatter with Trauma support.

Molten Strike builds are also very popular and very strong. So are strength stacking builds like Reave. Melee is fine, though people usually transition into it rather than start off as Melee.

There are also new transfigured versions of slam skills that are very strong and very popular this league:

EDIT: And I actually forgot about the most broken Melee build archetype in the game, Cast on Crit Cyclone builds:

Last edited:

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
Are you using special spectres from Breaker of Oaths and are you using Offerings?

If you consume those special spectres with an Offering its gone forever.
I'm using the Arena Master and Pale Seraphim, both gotten from another player. As far as I know I haven't used any offerings...

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Are tinctures staying in the game you think? Obviously charms are gonna be gone but wasn’t sure if tinctures were as op

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Deathwing Deathwing I don't know if you're still planning on making a KBoF build with Deoedre's but someone just posted a 2 proj/curse on hit tincture for 25 divine, which is quite cheap for that tincture. It's an ignite base but the base doesn't really matter all that much.
25D is a bit much for me to test a brand new build.

I did roll up a budget version last night. The potential for single target dps is definitely there. And KBoF seems more forgiving than SS on how close you have to hug the boss.

I did have a couple issues that make me hesitate to continue playing. There's a bit of ramp time on the damage from the hex chance. This is ironically felt more during clear than single target in places that are unfavorable to KB(low density open areas). KB be might adequate for non-whisped rares most of the time, but once you're accustomed to how much more damage marking and hugging the target will do, that poorly signaled problem comes back again.

Maybe it's not "poorly signaled". Maybe I'm stubborn. I don't want to switch to single target skills while clearing a map. I don't want to even question, after killing a rare with my clear skill, would using my single target have taken less time?

I will say, thanks for the suggestion of Utula's Hunger and Immortal Call. I was having a really hard time combining Slayer, Penance Brand, and Spell Suppression. The Utula's Hunger package seems to work much better and is more passive point efficient.

Khane

25D is a bit much for me to test a brand new build.

I did roll up a budget version last night. The potential for single target dps is definitely there. And KBoF seems more forgiving than SS on how close you have to hug the boss.

I did have a couple issues that make me hesitate to continue playing. There's a bit of ramp time on the damage from the hex chance. This is ironically felt more during clear than single target in places that are unfavorable to KB(low density open areas). KB be might adequate for non-whisped rares most of the time, but once you're accustomed to how much more damage marking and hugging the target will do, that poorly signaled problem comes back again.

Maybe it's not "poorly signaled". Maybe I'm stubborn. I don't want to switch to single target skills while clearing a map. I don't want to even question, after killing a rare with my clear skill, would using my single target have taken less time?

I will say, thanks for the suggestion of Utula's Hunger and Immortal Call. I was having a really hard time combining Slayer, Penance Brand, and Spell Suppression. The Utula's Hunger package seems to work much better and is more passive point efficient.

EDIT: And most importantly besides the post below, do you have wither on hit? Huge difference there in output because of how fast this build can apply it.

So, I'll preface by saying I know exactly what you are talking about with being unsure of the viability of the build as a mapper, feeling like there is ramp time, and generally just kind of "getting over" the fact that KBoF feels so much stronger than KBlast when dealing with single targets.

First of all, it doesn't matter what skill you play, if you play KBoF EVERYTHING, probably even including Penance Brand of Dissolution, will feel inferior, but this is very much a "I think I need to get over having such good single target DPS that even incredibly good clear skills feel weak" problem.

Kinetic Blast, in practice, will feel very suboptimal without that Tincture. To put it into practical terms consider the following:

1) Kinetic Blast explodes 4 times on each impact, more projectiles = more explosions, much faster in packs
2) Each explosion is a "hit" and will apply the curses in an area.
3) When using Nimis, Kinetic Blast feels TERRIBLE, without as many projectiles as you can muster. Each additional projectile makes the skill, and the clear, substantially better.
4) Once you have enough projectiles splitting with KBoF in single target scenarios, there is no ramp time, even 10% chance to curse when you have 60+ projectiles hitting will essentially instantly "full" curse any target.

That tincture will make the playstyle feel vastly different. If you don't want to spend the money on the tincture, I'd play the BigDucks version instead. I've mentioned it quite a few times when talking about the Doedre's version of the build. The build does still work without it, but its the difference between "this feels decent, not a bad build per se" and "okay, this rips through everything".

You'll also just have to accept that you need to use both KBlast and KBoF in maps. There are no weapon swaps, it's not really a big deal, KBoF is just your single target skill and KBlast is your clear skill. Press R instead of E sometimes, if you get my drift.

Here is the original video from way back when with full juice

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Actually Deathwing Deathwing I'm not even using the wander gear anymore. Just message me in game @Kharoo_Wand and I'll let you borrow the tincture and wand, and whatever other minor pieces you need and you can test the build at higher functionality to see if you want to play it.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
First of all, it doesn't matter what skill you play, if you play KBoF EVERYTHING, probably even including Penance Brand of Dissolution, will feel inferior, but this is very much a "I think I need to get over having such good single target DPS that even incredibly good clear skills feel weak" problem.
I mean my MF PBoD occ is absolutely shitting on fully juiced t16 8k+ wisps. The skill is beyond busted. Granted a lot if it is getting carried by HH buffs and not losing ramp but if i wasnt MF I'd use MB instead and scale aoe and damage much harder and probably shred that much more. Trickster versions are fucking dunking ubers.

• 1Truth!

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Someone force fed me a mageblood(and a bunch of other shit) so I decided to transition my worb slayer to a penance brand slayer. What a difference it makes when you have boss-trivializing dps AND you can go hide in a corner whilst doing said dps. I'm with Arbitrary, I think I'm just going to play brands again next league and force it if necessary via currency.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Someone force fed me a mageblood(and a bunch of other shit) so I decided to transition my worb slayer to a penance brand slayer. What a difference it makes when you have boss-trivializing dps AND you can go hide in a corner whilst doing said dps. I'm with Arbitrary, I think I'm just going to play brands again next league and force it if necessary via currency.

I did some bow stuff, some chieftan stuff, my league starter was splitting steel which was alright and I've messed around a bunch on a Ralakesh/Replica Badge Trickster with different Maven belts and shit and everything is more work than brands plus brands have no inherent drawbacks. My first reroll was Storm Brand of Indecision and starting out with regular Storm Brand it was nothing special. I bought a level 1 Indecision at the end of act 2 and never looked back. I was cold convert Shockwave Totems for Sanctum and even those mean sons of bitches have worse QoL than brands and I was squishier. I know the hotness is Penance but I did all the content this league as Storm Brand on the best character I've ever piloted with some ceiling still left if I needed it (which I don't). If they nerf Penance and Storm slips through you're still good to go otherwise I'm going with Wintertide Brand of OP Bullshit or whatever the new transfigured brand de jour is.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I did some bow stuff, some chieftan stuff, my league starter was splitting steel which was alright and I've messed around a bunch on a Ralakesh/Replica Badge Trickster with different Maven belts and shit and everything is more work than brands plus brands have no inherent drawbacks. My first reroll was Storm Brand of Indecision and starting out with regular Storm Brand it was nothing special. I bought a level 1 Indecision at the end of act 2 and never looked back. I was cold convert Shockwave Totems for Sanctum and even those mean sons of bitches have worse QoL than brands and I was squishier. I know the hotness is Penance but I did all the content this league as Storm Brand on the best character I've ever piloted with some ceiling still left if I needed it (which I don't). If they nerf Penance and Storm slips through you're still good to go otherwise I'm going with Wintertide Brand of OP Bullshit or whatever the new transfigured brand de jour is.
They nerfed/redesigned brands after delirium league. Apparently they didn't like them getting larger than screenwide attachment range. It was pretty hilarious, the game didn't even know how to draw them anymore at that point. You'd just have brands blink on and off your screen and shit dying before you could see it. In that redesign, they explicitly stated that the drawback to brand QoL is piss poor dps. Hence why you haven't played them.

I'm having trouble calculating Penance Brand average damage effectiveness. If you have two on the target and they both pulse X times, is the average stage of each brand
Code:
(105 + 20 * (X - 10)) / X
105 being the average of 1-20 in steps of 2. This is assuming you have enough cast speed and duration to get to 20 stages(not sure why you wouldn't). So hard to get a consensus online, especially with that bug fix. Nor can I figure out how people are even testing this to come to any conclusion.

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
So my stubbornness overcame the urge to play the insane currency league, and I stuck it out with my standard character. Got my first voidstone a few days ago and beat the eater of worlds sub boss and have the invite to fight him for my 2nd voidstone.

Progress definitely has been slow, but I could use some advice on what gear to upgrade first. I will update my POB and post it when I get home, but I am only sitting on like 10 divs and mayve 200 chaos, so I can't afford anything major.

Still, I'm sure there are cheap options that would still be a huge upgrade in terms of life / damage / spell suppress / etc.

Alternatively, if there's any base crafts that are easy enough for me to do instead, would love to try learning the crafting as well.

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Here you go, assuming this works.....lost some HPs and had like 4 or 5 passive pts I spent randomly to increase dmg but wasn't in the build guide. Maybe I can remove some un-needed pts and use a cluster jewel somewhere to help a bit for now?

Mainly want to know what 2 pieces of gear I should look to upgrade first and what stats to prioritize.

Thanks in advance!

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Here you go, assuming this works.....lost some HPs and had like 4 or 5 passive pts I spent randomly to increase dmg but wasn't in the build guide. Maybe I can remove some un-needed pts and use a cluster jewel somewhere to help a bit for now?

Mainly want to know what 2 pieces of gear I should look to upgrade first and what stats to prioritize.

Thanks in advance!
Hey, your weapon is a lot better now.
As for what to upgrade first, honestly you can upgrade pretty much everything except the belt and the weapon is ok for now. As for what you want
1: life everywhere (except the chest perhaps because you can get the 15% life mastery if you have 0 life affixes, which would mean even the current life recoup implicit would need to go)
2: Higher tier resists rolls where you get them in general so you have more breathing room to fit other stuff and get rid of purity of elements at some point
3: good rolls of intelligence and maybe strenght somewhere to fix your attributes
4; and suppress where you can get it.
5. more damage
6. higher armour/evasion rolls

This is what i'd do whitout, imo, doing anything major, like i left the gear the same except implicits and the ring but like i mentioned above you want the above mentioned things. I also believe i mentioned some uniques before that are good that you can still consider using imo. I also believe assassin mark is better than sniper's mark for this skill because it works on both the melee and projectile hit and gives you access to power charges as long as you quality it up.

anyway

To get more endgame optimized things you can look on poe ninja
edit: to say that using eldrich currency on that helmet will remove the flat cold damage so could perhaps craft another helmet instead.

Last edited:

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Hey, your weapon is a lot better now.
As for what to upgrade first, honestly you can upgrade pretty much everything except the belt and the weapon is ok for now. As for what you want
1: life everywhere (except the chest perhaps because you can get the 15% life mastery if you have 0 life affixes, which would mean even the current life recoup implicit would need to go)
2: Higher tier resists rolls where you get them in general so you have more breathing room to fit other stuff and get rid of purity of elements at some point
3: good rolls of intelligence and maybe strenght somewhere to fix your attributes
4; and suppress where you can get it.
5. more damage
6. higher armour/evasion rolls

This is what i'd do whitout, imo, doing anything major, like i left the gear the same except implicits and the ring but like i mentioned above you want the above mentioned things. I also believe i mentioned some uniques before that are good that you can still consider using imo. I also believe assassin mark is better than sniper's mark for this skill because it works on both the melee and projectile hit and gives you access to power charges as long as you quality it up.

anyway

To get more endgame optimized things you can look on poe ninja
edit: to say that using eldrich currency on that helmet will remove the flat cold damage so could perhaps craft another helmet instead.
Much appreciated, any idea how much mana reserve % reduction Id need to be able to use grace / determination / purity at the same time? Currently I can activate them all, but only leaves me enough mana to cast LS like once so it is far from ideal.

Have my suppress chance to around 84% so am trying to cap that and also be able to use those 3 auras for the time being so I can retain the ailment avoidance.

In the meantime I'll work on the things you pointed out.....any reliable way to craft a better weapon with essences / etc?

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Much appreciated, any idea how much mana reserve % reduction Id need to be able to use grace / determination / purity at the same time? Currently I can activate them all, but only leaves me enough mana to cast LS like once so it is far from ideal.

Have my suppress chance to around 84% so am trying to cap that and also be able to use those 3 auras for the time being so I can retain the ailment avoidance.

In the meantime I'll work on the things you pointed out.....any reliable way to craft a better weapon with essences / etc?

If you check the pobb.in i linked (and can then copy and open in PoB) you see i would, and can, use these links with the tree i suggested.
Compared to you i have 12% on the mana mastery and 7% from lesser eater implicit on the helm. So i guess getting a helm you can spend some eater currency on would be the first thing to do if you wanna get this all to fit.
That or craft your body armor or helmet with Loathing essences which also would give you reservation efficiency. In the end you'd probably want both Loathing essence and the eater implicit so you can drop the mana mastery all together unless theres some worthwhile reason you can't do that.
but the searing helm implicit for less % cost of attacks and the craft on the ring for less cost also adds to fixing mana.
1708287549904.png

The ancestral warchief+multi totems are kind of flexible slots because the warchief only works on the melee hit part of lightning strike so could consider portal or something else QoL there if you prefer.

One way to get 15% suppress that you missed, and i added in my tree (that and other suppress too), is an evasion mastery for 15% suppress if your helm, boots, gloves and body armor all have evasion which you do.

• 1Like