Pathfinder: Kingmaker

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The only companions that absolutely need respecced when you start the game (especially on hard or unfair) are Amiri and Valerie. Because their stats are completely fucked and Valerie's Tower Shield build is just objectively worse than a vanilla fighter taking various shield feats. Other companions like Nok-Nok and such are fine as is. I don't like respeccing the companions and going against their character theme at all though. Really takes me out of the journey!

Still salty I lost Harrim and the inquisitor to a bug though despite all the bugfixes they did.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Eh, the Inquisitor is a really bland companion that doesn't live up to her potential as an undead elf at all. Harrim is OK, but only if you can tolerate depressive characters and/or find the concept of a Dwarf following a god of the end of all things interesting as it really conflicts with their usual obsession with material objects.

I think the companions are probably the weakest part of the game. Only Nok-Nok and Jubilost really stand out. Maybe the Tiefling as well.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Trying to play on Hard difficulty in the early game is just one of the least enjoyable gaming experiences I've ever had.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Argarth

On the verandah
Just bought the base game. Looks and sounds great.

Kingmaker.exe is crashing on exit every time, though it doesn't seems to be affecting anything else, or corrupting saves. Think I'll run a backup routine behind the scenes just in case. Looks like I'm not alone, fault is still being reported on and off and has been for months now, though not all that common it seems. Filed a bug report. Haha, off to a good start! =)

Argarth

On the verandah
Looks like I'll be shelving it for a while yet. Oh well, at least the price was right, and I only bought the base game. Maybe the Enhanced Edition update is responsible? I notice they've already patched it twice. I'm still in the mansion playing a brand new game:
  • Kingmaker.exe continues to crash on every exit
  • Jerky panning regardless of mode: FSE / Borderless Window / FS Optimizations on or off
  • Frame rate drops and erratic frame times even while standing idle in certain locations
  • Output log file (newly generated each time the game closes) full of Unity exceptions, boundary errors, unable to load, attributes missing, blah blah blah errors galore
Knew I should have waited longer, lol

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Crazy, I've never had any of those issues. But the game is held together by paper clips and clear tape so I don't doubt you.

...paper clips and clear tape, just like tabletop Pathfinder!

• 1Worf

Argarth

On the verandah
Crazy, I've never had any of those issues. But the game is held together by paper clips and clear tape so I don't doubt you.

...paper clips and clear tape, just like tabletop Pathfinder!

Yeah, I'm not even that cranky really, more disappointed than anything else. It's pretty interesting that your experience is completely different to mine.

TBH, was kind of expecting some "issues" based on what I'd read recently, but the amount of error spam in that output file is pretty ridiculous. I can't imagine how broken it must have been at release. So glad I missed that, would have been really pissed. =)

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
At the risk of asking something obvious, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? It sucks that you're having these issues when you're really enjoying the game.

Argarth

On the verandah
At the risk of asking something obvious, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? It sucks that you're having these issues when you're really enjoying the game.

Thought about it, but having already verified files multiple times (steam version) that shouldn't be necessary? I may do it anyway just to "tick that box" but can't see how it would help.

Just about to nuke all the config info (registry) and see if that does anything.

Argarth

On the verandah
This is like a repeat of the x4 thread

Not really. X4 was completely broken and I got a refund. This game is still broken 9 months after release, and I won't be getting a refund! See? differences... :D

• 1Solidarity

Gestahl

Trakanon Raider
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but made game run so much better on my crappy laptop.

I set it to use cores 5-8 and disabled grass, and game runs pretty perfectly now.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Argarth

On the verandah
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but made game run so much better on my crappy laptop.

I set it to use cores 5-8 and disabled grass, and game runs pretty perfectly now.

Holy shit, that worked! Legendary stuff my good man, the game is now playable. If I could buy you a beer right now I would. =)

On my Ryzen 2700X, set the affinty to Cores 1 to 4 (8threads) in Process Lasso, and playing in FSE mode. The camera panning is now smooth, the FPS has jumped back up to my VRR cap, and the frame-time jitter is almost completely gone. The CPU spiking to 100% i was seeing before has also stopped. That's with everything on high settings.

For me at least, it works just fine setting the affinities in Task Manager after the game has loaded. TAB back into the game, and the problem is gone.

(The output log file still has the Unity error spam, but it's not affecting game-play for me anymore. Apparently there is also a known memory leak in EE they are working on)

How on earth has the regular punter a snowball's chance in hell of figuring this shit out? None of my searching had turned up that Reddit post either.

Last edited:

Caliane

Got this finally in one of the sales.
Started on challenging, thinking, ah old hat, but im not an expert in pathfinder.

but, going forward, ooph, both new stuff from pathfinder I didnt know about, AND, stuff from 3.5e I had mostly forgotten..
armor bonus vs deflection bonus. combat maneuvers. Shield is a standard action. Wizard spell memorization mechanics.. Ranged touch spells need dex?

I don't think I like the active battle. Id like it way more as full turn based.

Intro was a bit rough at first, with a wizard. had to blow all spells in first 2 fights. then cantrips for the rest..

Valerie was a bit silly in the party split. "yes, you saved those guards, but you are just too willful(chaotic) to me. So, Im going to join the chaotic evil Sorcerer, and Neutral Evil undead elf instead"

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think the early game is honestly pretty bad. Totally unforgiving... which I guess is typical of Pathfinder!

Nonetheless being down several party members, unfamiliar with Pathfinder, an inconvenient class as your PC, and not armed with foreknowledge of the first 10 hours of the game you can be in a world of fucking hurt. The first Technic League encounter is a bunch of bullshit. If you're playing even on normal and take the "easy" way out you're just down another party member. Yay.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The game starts to shine around levels 6-9 where you get some actual builds going and you don't have to be so stingy with spells.

As for Valerie, yeah, that point is hard coded to give you two companions and have two others run off, and it's forced within 2 moral choices to decide which, so you get the silliness of Valerie & Lizzy going with someone they clearly wouldn't support. The alignment stuff gets better as the game goes on, though there are some silly things.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Nonetheless being down several party members, unfamiliar with Pathfinder, an inconvenient class as your PC, and not armed with foreknowledge of the first 10 hours of the game you can be in a world of fucking hurt. The first Technic League encounter is a bunch of bullshit. If you're playing even on normal and take the "easy" way out you're just down another party member. Yay.

You mean the one where you just flank the caster because Color Spray is a cone-based attack and the AI is too stupid to reposition itself?