Pathfinder Online

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Since I started this thread I have a feeling I should be the one to give some counterweight to the negative notions about this game, but it is hard to root for a game that is so early in development. Also, Ryan certainly comes off as an ass, and I do not even have any history with the the guy or Pathfinder or CCGs.

Still, it seems obvious that what he wants is to recreate (the awesomeness of) Eve in a Fantasy setting, and I can not fault him for that. It just seems that he is very obstinate in his views, or the way he brings them about, and despite all the talk about crowdforging (community helps shape the game) you just get the feeling that this guy is on a solo-trip.

On the other hand, trying to let the fans shape your game is probably not a good idea in MMO-land either.

I am following this, with scepcis. And a little hope.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
I'm indifferent to "sandbox" MMOs. I'm open to them, I just think they're harder to do than a "normal" one. I would look forward to "EVE fantasy" really, if Dancy wasn't involved and it had no mechanical relationship to Pathfinder.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Been a while since anyone posted anything on this game, but anew progress videowas released today. It shows environments, characters, armor, the same goblin dudes we've been seeing forever, and a blurry and stupid looking ogre thing at the end.

this is one of the few games i'm looking forward to solely based on reading the blog (https://goblinworks.com/blog/). blog entires are often suprizingly detailed than expected. conceptually, also like how they are tieing in good/bad/evil/lawful matrix into pvp.
one thing that is annoying (but can't blame them to get more $) ... beta chars' time will not be reset. beta access to be limited and rolled out slowly. those slots i think are already filled. you char will be less valueable already! (pc-pow-wise, it won't make a diff).
also, there are plans for ingame tradeable skilltimetraining items (eve-like). i'd prefer a sub only than that option that messes the economy

Blackwulf

N00b
So, anything new about this game? Almost forgot all about it - but when I saw the somewhat disappointing news about EQN, I started thinking about D&D and what I would like in a cool sandbox game, then I remember some dudes were supposedly working on Pathfinder Online...

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Its nice to see that the game is actually in the works now, rather than being a concept thing. But it's probably going to take a good 3 or so years before it's ready, unfortunately.

All my hopes are still in Wildstar at the moment.

they are doing something similar to the eq:n multiclass (cept with time based training/access.).
seems like there is a well defined fundamental core/ecosystem for the world (which strengthens individuality which i can see as compensation for the lack of definited conventional classes)

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Pathfinder team just came back from a convention where they outlined their plans and why they feel they will succeed where others have failed. He didn't have video of the presentation, but posted his power point, which actually has some pretty good projection/summary data.http://www.slideshare.net/rsdancey/p...ne-gencon-2013

I actually really like where they are headed with this. They seem to understand some of the more challenging aspects of creating an mmo and are facing those challenges head on. It seems telling that they are building the project to start with comparatively low (very low) subscriber numbers and slowly build from there. Even their long term subscriber number projections are quite modest. I've heard my fair share of negative stuff about Dancy, but the IP he is working with is very solid and his vision is pretty realistic (and intriguing).

Like everyone already knows, none of this matters until we see how the game actually PLAYS, but so far I haven't seen the fatal flaws I have seen in ther upcoming mmo plans...

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Probably should have used $20 of their Kickstarter money and paid someone to do a better PowerPoint presentation. Also, "make a virtual world that is more meaningful than real life" is lol.

I'll still keep an eye on this and more power to them if it turns out quality, but I've got massive doubts.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
I have an order of magnitude more faith in this meeting their expectations than EQN meeting 1/100th of SOE's.

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
I know it is awhile out yet but that looks like shit. Completely flat, models look terrible, animations aren't good, monsters are normal. I'm glad they have more to show for their efforts than the 38 studios MMO but it looks like it came out of 2004.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I know it is awhile out yet but that looks like shit. Completely flat, models look terrible, animations aren't good, monsters are normal. I'm glad they have more to show for their efforts than the 38 studios MMO but it looks like it came out of 2004.
2004 is hyperbole. The graphics are better than that.

However, it doesn't do much for me either. It looks like just another fantasy mmo with the standard compliment of classes and races, been there done that.

What intrigues me is the gameplay, and the EvE connection with Ryan. If does have some EvE type gameplay then it might be an interesting game from that standpoint. Way too early to tell though.

Bruman

Golden Squire
Graphics serve only to provide immersion into the virtual world, which I find them competent enough to do.

Seriously, most of us here are old EQ vets, probably play a lot of P99, even some EQ1, etc - and the first thing is ZOMG THE GRAPHICS? Really?

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Graphics serve only to provide immersion into the virtual world, which I find them competent enough to do.

Seriously, most of us here are old EQ vets, probably play a lot of P99, even some EQ1, etc - and the first thing is ZOMG THE GRAPHICS? Really?
Basically this. I don't give much of two shits about the graphics. I care abou the gameplay, crafting, and the social aspect of this game,

If the game really is a fantasy Eve online (all players in single world, zero instancing, everything tradeable, multiple economic hubs, town building, guild vs guild warfare, zone control) then those graphics are more than sufficient.

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
Grim1_sl said:
2004 is hyperbole. The graphics are better than that.
Uh no it's not hyperbole. Everquest 2 released in 2004 and the character models were better. The bump mapping while over the top was also better. Lighting seems about the same. WoW released the same year as did Doom 3, Thief Deadly Shadows and so on. I highly suggest you go back and look at some screens and compare the two. Granted all of those were finished and as I Stated originally I am sure this isn't the final product.

Grim1_sl said:
However, it doesn't do much for me either. It looks like just another fantasy mmo with the standard compliment of classes and races, been there done that.

What intrigues me is the gameplay, and the EvE connection with Ryan. If does have some EvE type gameplay then it might be an interesting game from that standpoint. Way too early to tell though.
The snippets of gameplay in the video look horrible. I'll get more into this when I respond to the apologists already rearing their heads.

Bruman_sl said:

Graphics are not the most important aspect of any game, the game play is. I can't stress enough how true this is. Having said that we are given a three minute video showing in game footage and from beginning to end it looks like shit. What else do you want to discuss? Features not shown at all in the video? Most of the people on this board played Everquest when it was relevant. Most of the people on this board did not play P99 or continue to play Everquest. So you're talking about a subset of a subset who are thrilled to death they have a graphic game as opposed to Pathfinder Online not being a text based game? What the hell do you see in the three minutes of footage in the video that I missed where I should be talking about something else? Please elaborate because as it stands I'm reasonably certain you're an apologist or a troll.

Astral Projection_sl said:
If the game really is a fantasy Eve online (all players in single world, zero instancing, everything tradeable, multiple economic hubs, town building, guild vs guild warfare, zone control) then those graphics are more than sufficient.
I completely agree. The problem though is they didn't show three minutes of any of that. They gave us three minutes of horrible fights, landscape, and character profiling. I have no idea why they even released the video other than to say "LOOK IT ISN'T VAPORWARE GAIZ!"

I don't doubt that in your personal lives you accept "well it ain't pretty but it works lol lol lol" as the height of excellence, I do not. Seeing such little attention to detail as that video displays does not in anyway inspire confidence.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I read your weirdly long rant about how bad the graphics were, before watching the vid, and was actually impressed with the graphics. Lol.

I was expecting something really awful. Graphics aren't bad. Animations are a bit clunky.

However, this is a pen and paper studio making a computer game right?

I think server stability and bugs will make or break this game, not the graphics.