[PC]Hearts of Iron 4 - Release Date June 6th

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Grimsark

Hearts of Iron 4... Announced.

If they manage to make part 4 as inviting as they did Crusader Kings, this may just be as great as I had hoped part 3 would have been. I was so dissapointed in part 3.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
They are talking about removing a lot of the micromanagement while keeping the overall focus of the game. I just hope they do something similar to EUIV. Streamline it and remove the obnoxious learning curve while retaining a lot of the depth.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
They are talking about removing a lot of the micromanagement while keeping the overall focus of the game. I just hope they do something similar to EUIV. Streamline it and remove the obnoxious learning curve while retaining a lot of the depth.
I'm in. If this resembles EU4 and CK2, then it will be amazing. I'm a big fan of Paradox these days - they haven't done anything wrong in the last few years, imo

Sulrn

Deuces
Release date announced at GDC - June 6th 2016.

World War Wednesdayfor those looking to catch up.

A Link to all thedev diariesso you can see how the game has changed a bit since last year.

Getting excited to reshape Europe.
biggrin.png

Sulrn

Deuces
So Daniel started a new play through to act as a tutorial/feature intro with Japan.

Part 1

Part 2

Good for seeing the mechanics and how the game is shaped up in general now.

Sulrn

Deuces
Modding

Looks like another dev group going the Xcom2 modding route (and making modding even easier). Hopefully this means we see some fairly interesting total conversions.

localhost

Golden Knight of the Realm
Personally I don't want a simpler game with less micro. I would play Total war or something like that if that was the case. Paradox is like the only company making kinda complex games, and now they are dumbing them more and more to appeal mass market
frown.png

Anyway I didn't play vanilla HoI3 since few years, DDICE then BlackICE ftw. I doubt I will play HOI4 before (if) the BlackICE team make it playable. You could do world domination with fucking Luxembourg in Vanilla HOI3!

Sulrn

Deuces
Game went up for pre-order yesterday in 3 flavors.

Base Game - Cadet 39.99
Bonus Sprites - Colonel 49.99
Expansion Pass + Art Book - Field Marshall 89.99

All pre-orders get bonus music and their WW2 CYOA phone app. Everyone (pre-order or not) gers the Day 1 Poland DLC for free.

Pyratec

Game is coming out on Monday, Let's Plays are starting to pop up on Youtube from the usual Paradox suspects (Quill18, Enter Elysium, etc.) I've watched the first six or so episodes of Quill's Italy playthrough, the game looks pretty good. I've never played any of the previous Hearts of Iron games, I discovered Paradox through EU 4, and after sinking over a thousand hours into that and enjoying Stellaris (but not finding it super great) I'm willing to give this a shot.

I like the idea that you can tell the AI to act like the countries did historically, or you can give them free reign to do as they please. I also like that each country gets it's own national focus tree that is unique to that country, it will give the game a lot more replayability. I do however have the sneaking suspicion that like every Paradox title I've played to date, it will take a few patches and some time for the modders to do their thing before the game becomes truly good.

Kind of surprised there isn't a bit more action in this thread, I would have thought this board would have more than a few WWII nerds. At any rate, looking forward to fighting the second world war a few times next week.

Sulrn

Deuces
Game is coming out on Monday

Kind of surprised there isn't a bit more action in this thread, I would have thought this board would have more than a few WWII nerds. At any rate, looking forward to fighting the second world war a few times next week.
You and me both.

Won't lie though. I've watched all of Q18's streams as they pop up, but it's making me sad that with as bad as he is at the game he's completely steamrolling the AI as Italy while AI Germany is barely making it outside its own borders.

Pyratec

You and me both.

Won't lie though. I've watched all of Q18's streams as they pop up, but it's making me sad that with as bad as he is at the game he's completely steamrolling the AI as Italy while AI Germany is barely making it outside its own borders.
As this will be my first HoI game, I really have no idea if Quill is bad or not, as I don't know the game at all myself. As to the difficulty, I'm pretty sure he's not playing on the hardest level, and Paradox games aren't all that difficult once you know how to play them. That's the true difficulty of a game like EU4, figuring out how to play the game in the first place. Once you have a good understanding of the mechanics of EU4, I'd say it's a pretty easy game as well.

Of course some achievements are very hard, like three mountains, but that's kind of artificial diffculty. It certainly isn't hard to turn Portgual or some other middle sized European country into a powerhouse after you have the game understood, which I think is pretty similar to what Quill is trying to accomplish with Italy in his play through. That being said, I'm pretty sure I'll lose my first few tries at this game.

As I mentioned above as well, Paradox games typically benefit from some maturing. The base games they release are solid, but they dont get really good until the modders and a few patches come along. Even if this game isnt super great, I am more than happy to support Paradox so that I can get what I really want, which is EU 5.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Quill is playing his first game on normal so that sounds about right. I only watched he first half of ep1 so I really didn't get into it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm essentially new to Paradox's series of games with CK2. It wasn't for me, I liked EU4 much more. And with some patches and DLC, I'll probably like Stellaris even more.

Obviously there's some similarities between those three games. Does HoI just push even more into the warmongering spectrum while sharing some of the same base?

Pyratec

I'm essentially new to Paradox's series of games with CK2. It wasn't for me, I liked EU4 much more. And with some patches and DLC, I'll probably like Stellaris even more.

Obviously there's some similarities between those three games. Does HoI just push even more into the warmongering spectrum while sharing some of the same base?
I'd say that's a prety accurate description from what I saw watching the Lets Play. More towards the EU4 side of things than the Stellaris side, but that just may be the fact that it's based on historical earth giving me that feeling. Someone who has actually played HoI before could probably give you a better answer though.

Sulrn

Deuces

HoI4 is mostly WW2 Era military logistics management. You spend the entire game making sure you have the right resources to build, equip, and support whatever type of specialized/generic military force you choose to conquer the world (communism /fascism) or restore/"secure" it (democracy). It's all about war down to the building and researching the weapons/equipment/tactics.

CK2 is lineage/claim management
EU4 is trade management
Stellaris is a generic space civ
HoI4 is logistics management

Quill is playing his first game on normal so that sounds about right. I only watched he first half of ep1 so I really didn't get into it.
As someone with a couple hundred hours in HoI3, no, that doesn't sound about right. Quill is playing a weaker major fighting majors/multiple minors and doesn't have a clue about how to handle an air force/navy/resistance/supply logistics/focusing doctrine to his actual chosen war style/how to use the completely redone and simplified warplans correctly and is steamrolling in spite of it all.

Africa especially - GB/France should have pushed his shit in by now (ep 13). But he's mostly secured it even incompetently playing. Normal AI should have punished/challenged him on some level. Look at Germany that has barely made it out of 1936 Germany borders - AI in press copy is definitely not ready.

Sulrn

Deuces
For anyone that cares, Podcat (lead dev) responded to me today about all the AI alarm on reddit/youtube/boards and made it clear that the AI was being tweaked still and that significant changes had occurred after the press release was issued.

Hopefully that means they saw that they somehow broke it trying to polish the press version and fixed it afterwards, because usually the AI in WWW is not nearly as bad as what has been seen on the streams.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Bought this on pre-order as I'm a huge Paradox fanboi, but as I mentioned in the Stellaris thread, those that know Paradox will be familiar with their release woes:

1. Release hyped up game.
2. Players find lots of bugs, exploits and bad AI.
3. Paradox rushes out a series of patches over the first few weeks/month that fixes the game, but it's still lacking.
4. Few months later the first expansion drops, and with the patches makes the game good.
5. Mods start rolling out and make the game fantastic.
6. ???
7. Profit!
smile.png

Seriously, this game is going to be "weird" the first week or so, just relax and install mods if you don't find it challenging enough.
smile.png

Sulrn

Deuces
Game is officially live - I'm out of town, but if anyone wants to get a multi-player going in EST/CST I should have some time after this weekend.

Sulrn

Deuces

Release trailer and pre-order trailer makes me think there is a cold war dlc being planned.