Penny Dreadful

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Finally got around to this. Loved the show, was hooked from season one. Sucks to see it go, will always be a favorite.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Holy fuck this show is boring. My wife is watching S1 and I just can't stay focused on this pile for longer than 5 minutes. The writing is pretty shit. Like why did the main character require an entire 60 minute episode just on backstory? Can't you weave the backstory in organically to the main plot line? Its just lazy. It seems characters just randomly decide on which power they want to use when. Like American ShooterMcGunman in the last episode just exorcised the main character after an entire 60 minute episode of them pussy footing around on how to get this demon out. If dude knew how to do it why didn't he just do it in the first fucking place?

Anyways my wife for unknown reasons enjoys the show. I think its shit. I'm bailing after maybe 6 episodes.

• 1Picard

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
We just got done with the entire run. We liked s1 and s2, but s3 seemed like it dragged on. It was a fitting end to a canceled show.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
There was something missing on this show. I dont know what, it should have been great, but it was barely watchable. I really wanted to like this series, but I just could not.

• 1Solidarity

Sterling

El Presidente
There was something missing on this show. I dont know what, it should have been great, but it was barely watchable. I really wanted to like this series, but I just could not.
While I wouldn't quite call it barely watchable I generally agree with this sentiment. Setting, cast, subject matter, production value all seemed good but it wasn't as good as it should have been.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Although I enjoyed Penny Dreadful, I do think most of it was because of the setting & cast. The storylines felt discombobulated more often than not, and certainly could've been much better. The cast (especially Eva Green), and the interesting time period certainly carried the show.

The show peaked at the 5th episode in the first season, with the "Closer Than Sisters". When Vanessa goes into the back story of the fallout with Mina. Phenomenal episode.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I tried getting into Penny Dreadful but somehow they managed to turn a great fantastic idea into a very droll and sleep inducing show. Something about the pacing I think. Never been able to quite put my finger on why it didn't hook me, it's really strange in a way that so many people find the show boring but are unable to fully articulate on WHY...

• 1Like

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
They were too busy trying to be artistic and all that is what the issue was.

It wasn’t a terrible job, it just screwed up the pacing quite a bit. They spent too much time focused on exactly how a sentence sounded with just the right accent it felt like.

I watched every episode and didn’t hate it but I felt they could have had more fun with the characters. Eva Green and whoever played Dorian just chewed through some of their dialogue.