Pest Control

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Don't see a thread for this kind of subject so I guess I'll make one.

Kitchen of the current place I'm renting has a sudden gnat problem. Was fine for several months, now the kitchen is suddenly full of gnats overnight. Not sure what brought them in. I did leave the windows open (screened) at night because it's been so nice out, but I've been doing that for weeks.

I didn't leave any food out or anything that'd bring them in. Just dishes in the sink that are full of water. They do seem to be congregating in the sink area though. I added dish soap to all of said water-filled dishes and found a few dead gnats in there this morning, so that trap worked, but not well enough, still a lot more lurking all over the place, on cabinets and walls.

Worst part is, I don't seem to be fast enough to swat them by hand anymore like I could a few years ago. They dodge me about 90% of the time. WTF. Either these are super-gnats with ultra-speed, or I've slowed down dramatically.

Any suggestions on any home remedies or products that I can use to wipe out this invasion?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Kitchen of the current place I'm renting has a sudden gnat problem. Was fine for several months, now the kitchen is suddenly full of gnats overnight. Not sure what brought them in. I did leave the windows open (screened) at night because it's been so nice out, but I've been doing that for weeks.

I didn't leave any food out or anything that'd bring them in. Just dishes in the sink that are full of water. They do seem to be congregating in the sink area though. I added dish soap to all of said water-filled dishes and found a few dead gnats in there this morning, so that trap worked, but not well enough, still a lot more lurking all over the place, on cabinets and walls.

Worst part is, I don't seem to be fast enough to swat them by hand anymore like I could a few years ago. They dodge me about 90% of the time. WTF. Either these are super-gnats with ultra-speed, or I've slowed down dramatically.

Any suggestions on any home remedies or products that I can use to wipe out this invasion?
a real bug zapper
107ebe62cd55e35e05246f3eac55eff3.png

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Gnats or fruit flies? Either way, both are usually sustained by standing water, as they need it to lay eggs. This includes your drains. Look up apple vinegar traps, can make your own or buy some, and pour some soap down all your drains.

• 1Like

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>

Both hate the smell of lemons. Get some lemon dish-washing liquid too. If you frequently leave out bananas, tomatoes, etc, put a lemon near them.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Gnats or fruit flies? Either way, both are usually sustained by standing water, as they need it to lay eggs. This includes your drains. Look up apple vinegar traps, can make your own or buy some, and pour some soap down all your drains.

Not sure. Which one of those is faster-moving? Cause these dodge my swings with ease.

He needs to figure out if they're gnats or fruit flies. Fruit flies aren't attracted to bug zappers/uv lights

I haven't noticed these being attracted to lights.

I'd love to get that zapper...if it works.

Both hate the smell of lemons. Get some lemon dish-washing liquid too. If you frequently leave out bananas, tomatoes, etc, put a lemon near them.

This should work for discouraging them from hanging around. However I don't want to discourage them, I want to wipe them from this Earth

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Not sure. Which one of those is faster-moving? Cause these dodge my swings with ease.

I haven't noticed these being attracted to lights.

I'd love to get that zapper...if it works.

This should work for discouraging them from hanging around. However I don't want to discourage them, I want to wipe them from this Earth
How do you feel about spiders?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
How do you feel about spiders?

I was just thinking about how I could bring in a bunch of spiders to deal with this problem. However that's sort of like letting commies take over just to get rid of your fascists.

I just compared some shots on a search and I THINK these are indeed gnats. Probably about 80% sure of this. I'll try the zapper.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
I was just thinking about how I could bring in a bunch of spiders to deal with this problem. However that's sort of like letting commies take over just to get rid of your fascists.

I just compared some shots on a search and I THINK these are indeed gnats. Probably about 80% sure of this. I'll try the zapper.
Spiders get a bad rap. Total mass, insects outweigh humans 300 to 1. You're going to need friends.

Spider GIF by BBC Brit

• 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Whacked another one a little while ago and this one looked a little more like a fruit fly. Most of them look like gnats. It might be a combination. So weird that all of them showed up at once over the span of a couple days, went from zero to "all over the place". There's no fruit, standing water, or food debris in there either. There WAS standing water but I got rid of it and put soap down the drain. Also gonna put the zapper in there when it arrives (likely tomorrow) and leave that on overnight. Will report back if it works.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Whacked another one a little while ago and this one looked a little more like a fruit fly. Most of them look like gnats. It might be a combination. So weird that all of them showed up at once over the span of a couple days, went from zero to "all over the place". There's no fruit, standing water, or food debris in there either. There WAS standing water but I got rid of it and put soap down the drain. Also gonna put the zapper in there when it arrives (likely tomorrow) and leave that on overnight. Will report back if it works.
it better have been the 20w flouresent ones i linked, cuz the smaller LED shits just aren't attractive enough
c39e737b602c3a5d191c9e5d4cf96b85.png

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Sounds like fruit flies. Stop being lazy and clean your dishes immediately after eating. That or insist even more on being lazy like my parents and only eat on paper plates ever, so you never have dishes to clean.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
it better have been the 20w flouresent ones i linked, cuz the smaller LED shits just aren't attractive enough
c39e737b602c3a5d191c9e5d4cf96b85.png

Pretty sure I got the one you linked yeah.

Looks like they're mostly coming from the sink drain after all. Ran some water and like 30 came flying out of it. So I poured more soap in (without running the water again) and put a lid over said drain so there's no escape.

The war continues

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Do your dishes. It ain't hard.
How's he gonna plat the next FF game wasting time on dishes?!

LOL I think you can draw a direct line between these two things. It's rare for me to leave dishes in the sink, but all that Final Fantasy as of late made me neglect other household stuff. I made note of this a few weeks ago too. Well, now I meet the cost of inaction. This is a first and it's pretty shocking how fast it happens. No bugs to "full on invasion" in two days. Not gonna make that mistake again.

I'm about 90% sure this is a mix of gnats and fruit flies. Was mostly gnats at first, now I think the fruits have outpaced the gnats. The fruits are a lot easier to swat while the gnats are less annoying.

Zapper light is going up tonight overnight and we'll see what the results are tomorrow. Also gonna grab that lemon spray for the fruits in case the zapper doesn't get it done with them.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
LOL I think you can draw a direct line between these two things. It's rare for me to leave dishes in the sink, but all that Final Fantasy as of late made me neglect other household stuff. I made note of this a few weeks ago too. Well, now I meet the cost of inaction. This is a first and it's pretty shocking how fast it happens. No bugs to "full on invasion" in two days. Not gonna make that mistake again.

I'm about 90% sure this is a mix of gnats and fruit flies. Was mostly gnats at first, now I think the fruits have outpaced the gnats. The fruits are a lot easier to swat while the gnats are less annoying.

Zapper light is going up tonight overnight and we'll see what the results are tomorrow. Also gonna grab that lemon spray for the fruits in case the zapper doesn't get it done with them.
Look up the gnat life cycle. They eat decaying plant matter and fungus; they need soggy soil for their larval stage. They usually make a home in houseplants that need/hold a lot of water, or houseplants that are overwatered and/or with poor drainage.

You can make "natural" traps with some vinegar solution in a yellow colored dish (they really like yellow). Otherwise you can buy some poisons that you mix with the water you put on your plants, and it will slowly kill the larva over the course of 30 to 60 days.

I had a problem with them after letting my indoor plants sit outside for a summer, in a screened in porch. I had to use the poison solution with a granule product called Mosquito Bits. It worked, but took a while.

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Look up the gnat life cycle. They eat decaying plant matter and fungus; they need soggy soil for their larval stage. They usually make a home in houseplants that need/hold a lot of water, or houseplants that are overwatered and/or with poor drainage.

You can make "natural" traps with some vinegar solution in a yellow colored dish (they really like yellow). Otherwise you can buy some poisons that you mix with the water you put on your plants, and it will slowly kill the larva over the course of 30 to 60 days.

I had a problem with them after letting my indoor plants sit outside for a summer, in a screened in porch. I had to use the poison solution with a granule product called Mosquito Bits. It worked, but took a while.

Natural traps being water+vinegar?

I know water+dish soap kills them, doesn't attract them very well though.

I did notice that when I left several soap traps out, the yellow one had most of the corpses the next day.

Didn't really get to do the blue light trap last night, doing it tonight. I'll pair that up with some soap and/or vinegar traps.

Not sure why they're even still in there because there's nothing to eat or drink. No plants here. Now that you mention it I did have this problem once before in the past when I had plants. Think I used soap traps back then but it's hard to remember. I don't think it was nearly this bad of an invasion then though.