Phoenix Point (PC) - Xcom

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Didn't see a thread. Feel free to merge if there is one.

New game from one of the lead designers of the Xcom from the 90s and developed to be the spiritual successor to that.
Releases next week, December 3rd on Epic store (booo) and Xbox\PS4 later in 2020.

Below are developer videos showcasing various aspects of the game. The shooting \ aiming looks like a great addition. I love Xcom type games, so hoping this will turn out to be good.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
There isn't a dedicated thread I don't think. Just discussion in the Epic Games thread.

I bought in before the shift to Epic Games store, but that wouldn't have changed my mind on the purchase. What little I've played it I've enjoyed it and am ready for the full "release" next month.

shishare

Golden Knight of the Realm
Ive been anticipating this for a long time now.

I love xcom and similar games, but im very much a "wait for final product" type.

That being said if its even reasonably good, gonna pick it up, so many hours out of these games

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
My plans went from 'support anything Gollop does' to 'pirate the shit out of this and fuck Gollop' the instant he sold out to Epic, but I'm still looking forward to it.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
If you like XCom I don't see how you couldn't like this. It has the gameplay and graphics of the 2k Xcoms but it is just deeper in all its mechanics, with developed separate factions and just all sorts of shit.

Its the type of game going in you'll probably need to watch some "How to get started" guides on youtube there's so much there its a bit overwhelming and part of why, besides waiting on it to be feature complete, I've held off diving too much into it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
That is a really unfortunate name. Pheonix program was bad stuff.

Anyway game looks sweet.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I was all in until I saw the day 1 DLC, time to wait for a definitive edition or whatever.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
day 1 dlc AND switched to epic exclusive. fuck you Gollop I'm stealing the fuck out of your game and probably won't ever buy a legit copy down the road.

Argarth

On the verandah
I couldn't care less about the EGS exclusive, but 5 DLCs in total (2 unannounced) means that the base game will be the gimped version, so that's a pass at any price.

I don't pay for "unannounced" anything, so that's a pass on the Ultra version. Deluxe version, digital fluff, pass. Well that looks like 3 strikes, be back in a year or so for the completed game.

• 1Solidarity

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
day 1 dlc AND switched to epic exclusive. fuck you Gollop I'm stealing the fuck out of your game and probably won't ever buy a legit copy down the road.
It's going to be on Gamepass too, but it seems as though it's delayed for maybe a day/maybe a week. Since DLC almost certainly won't be included and Fitgirl is already in the process of repacking it, I guess I know how I'll be checking it out first.

Also,
Definitely doesn't sound like something I'd run out and buy even if it wasn't on Gamepass, was on GOG instead of EGS, and didn't have the Day 1 DLC faggotry going on.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I couldn't care less about the EGS exclusive, but 5 DLCs in total (2 unannounced) means that the base game will be the gimped version, so that's a pass at any price.

I don't pay for "unannounced" anything, so that's a pass on the Ultra version. Deluxe version, digital fluff, pass. Well that looks like 3 strikes, be back in a year or so for the completed game.

The air interception mechanic is apparently in one of the DLC packs.

Argarth

On the verandah
The air interception mechanic is apparently in one of the DLC packs.

There are a couple of things that turn me off their pricing/release model (the Ultra Edition costs $116 in AU, yeah that's my problem for living here, heh).

Partly we don't really know what new "systems" and other stuff are contained in the DLCs, the first one isn't due until early 2020, and the rest are "over the course of the year". That's like the worst type of pre-order crap to me, and I just don't do it. Make a first release that's mostly feature complete, and then later I'll gladly $$buy a proper expansion if I had a good time.

The other gripe I have is that you can't even bypass the Deluxe Ed digital fluff, and just buy the Season Pass. That would be an AU$29 saving, that right now at least, is unavailable.

I've looked at some play-through video and the RPS "8 Best and Worst Things Review" and there are some really neat things in there, but just not feeling it, base game seems rough.
===============================================================
The Season Pass (5 DLCs featuring new systems, items, units, missions, and challenges):
  • Blood and Titanium
  • Legacy of the Ancients
  • Festering Skies
  • Plus 2 More as yet unannounced DLCs

Last edited:

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
At first I was sold on hearing it was Xcom / similar to it, but that much DLC and shit why not just go get LongWar and play through that again

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I mean the real problem is that it's badly unfocused and lacking polish despite the multiple delays. Cover system is non-intuitive, the 'accuracy' system is novel but inconsistent and ultra frustrating at times, repetitive maps, mediocre voice work, etc.

There's also no traditional power progression of tech levels, so I have absolutely no fucking clue what I'm supposed to do to be able to handle some of the more high powered missions its thrown at me where i have to deal with like 10-12 pandorans all active at once on a tiny map, including high threat ones like a pair of sirens and a charon.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
Well, it is not that bad of a game, but it is not as good as X-Com.
I took the cannon out of the hands of the heavy soldier and i kept jumping near the enemies and bashing them with a medkit, that was fun. Then I recruited a disciple of Anu, took his hammer, reverse engineer it, and gave it to my heavy... Bleah, the damage did not scale as good as I would have hoped. I now must multiclass the disciple of Anu to a heavy so I can give him jet pack armour...
Pandorans with shields are a nice to interact with in first person aiming, best gimmick so far.
Overwatch is better implemented than in X Com.

Now the bad parts...

Absolutely hate the row of random skills. Complete bullshit.
Multiclass is so so, dash being a fucking beast you will never spec a heavy into sniper or a sniper into heavy.
Base is almost entirely built, that is bullshit.
Exploring a site just to find yet another heaven for the other factions is lame.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I want to walk back my initial criticisms a bit, but not much. Basically the project suffers from Apocalypse-itis. Gollop is absolutely a visionary, but the tech just really wasn't there yet for everything he wanted to do with Apocalypse. This time the tech is there, but it just wasn't a big enough project to get everything done, balanced, and polished in a timely fashion.

I'm confident that this game will end up being one of the true gems of the genre but it might take all the way up until the Steam release for it to get there, so in the mean time I'd probably steer clear unless you're a hardcore XCom fan.