Photoshop Help With Mode RGB

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
So I have been having some issues lately with colors and the way they are showing up and I have no idea why. I make all my cards using RGB mode and every once and a while greens or blues turn out black like this:

rrr_img_31050.jpg

But then if I just grab the Photoshop window and drag it or save it as a JPEG it turns out normal like this:

rrr_img_31051.jpg

Same file. The only way I could actually show you what the "Black Flag" looked like was to take a screenshot using Print Screen. In the past I would go to adjustments and mess with hue/saturation I think or something else by changing it from a 0 to a 1 and that would usually fix it but it doesn't work anymore.

Any ideas? Thanks

LennyLenard_sl

shitlord
I don't really have much to suggest, but do have some questions to try to better understand the situation.

1) What are you using as your image source? Are you GISing, and then copypasting from browser into PS? Or are you saving the file locally before opening it? Copypasting from an already local file to a new file?
2) Does it happen all the time with blues and greens? For instance, if you were to open a new 800x600 (or whatever) image, and fill it with a blue or green, would you experience this issue? Or only after you start editing?

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
I don't really have much to suggest, but do have some questions to try to better understand the situation.

1) What are you using as your image source? Are you GISing, and then copypasting from browser into PS? Or are you saving the file locally before opening it? Copypasting from an already local file to a new file?
Both but this time I dragged from Google right into Photoshop. As for the last times it has done it, I don't remember but I usually drag and drop and not save first.

2) Does it happen all the time with blues and greens? For instance, if you were to open a new 800x600 (or whatever) image, and fill it with a blue or green, would you experience this issue? Or only after you start editing?
I tried what you suggested and the basic colors were fine. It has happened in the past on a color but it was erratic all over so it must have been from just a certain type of shade.

Have you updated your display driver recently?
I update them all the time due to I game alot but it has happened for a bit now / through at least an update or 2.

Did you click on an eqbrowser link?
I don't know if that is supposed to be a joke or something but I have in the past. Was there a virus on it or what? I run noscrypt so it shouldn't be an issue.

LennyLenard_sl

shitlord
Assuming it's not drivers, the only thing I can think of that is similar is transparency and how you're getting the image from source to Photoshop.

An example of this is when you have a PNG with a transparent background in a browser, right click>copy, and then edit>paste in Photoshop. You'll end up with a black background where it was previously transparent.

Not quite the same as what you're describing however. But it might be something to experiment with, for curiosity's sake. The experiment would be something like this: Identify an image with the reproducible issue doing things as you normal do. Then try different approaches for getting it into Photoshop (dragging/dropping, copy/pasting, saving/opening).

Have you reinstalled Photoshop?

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
No because it hasn't been that big of an issue TBH. I guess I can always go that route and go from there. Thanks for the help.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Might have something to do with Photoshop's GPU acceleration. Maybe try switching your settings under Preferences > Performance?

Great Ogre Dictator

Golden Knight of the Realm
Looking at:http://www.gballard.net/psd/colorlooksbad.html.

2: Display: OpenGL (Open Graphics Library) GPU_sl said:

To rule out OpenGL issues go to Photoshop> Preferences> Performance> Graphics Processor Settings and uncheck Use Graphics Processor or Enable OpenGL Drawing... or switch its Drawing Mode to Basic or Normal as shown in the Photoshop CS6 screenshot.

Note: Photoshop 13 (CS6) runs a test on the video card when it starts up - it disables this feature and/or greys out Advanced Graphics Processor Settings, Drawing Modes if it detects a problem, these features are not supported.
3: SCENE-REFERRED PROFILES_sl said:
This obscure CS5 and CS6 Photoshop setting is located in
Edit> Color Settings> More Options> Conversion Options: "Compensate for scene-referred Profiles" (it is checked by default):

If unchecking the scene-referred profiles box clears the display problem in Photoshop, you most likely have hit a known bug with defective monitor profiling packages building defective monitor profiles that affect Photoshop and After Effects - specifically, the defective profile is erroneously marked as "scene referred."