Pillars of Eternity, Obsidian's new CRPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate

rinthe_sl

shitlord
What difficulty did you play through on? Cause I chose hard and I am getting my ass whooped. Can't imagine getting through this game as fast as you've stated, unless you did it on easy.
It really depends on your classes, talents. With some it's damn near impossible on hard, with others it's a cake walk.

I've had fun with it, and I can deal with the bugs, I don't think they're that gamebreaking if you managed them sensibility. But it does feel like the longer one goes through it, the weaker the story/game becomes. It's a shame, because it is a great game. But with a little more effort it could have been a lot better. Kind of like Vanilla WoW, the start was great, then the further you go, the less and less finished it is.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
I'm saying that, as someone who's childhood gaming experience was defined by the Baldurs Gate series (alongside Diablo 1/2 and the lesser known Lords of Magic) and so falls into the core target market for this game, it is absolutely not an 8.9/10 (metacritic userbase) or 9.3/10 (Steam userbase) gameplay experience. Even if every other aspect of it was so perfect I came in my pants spontaneously while playing, it would lose 2 points on bugginess, clunky gameplay and poor graphics (namely the character models - I like the environments, although I wish they hadn't gone all GRIMDARK just because it's trendy since GOT came out) alone.
Hey man. Try the link up i posted to a sweet fx setting for the game. it looks ALOT better.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I must be doing something wrong then. Cause I'm getting my ass kicked continuously; to the point I'm almost ready to rage quit. No matter how I try to position my group, they go after my mage first every. Single. God damn. Mother fucking. Time. He dies in two hits before he can even cast. Then, someone else is off in la la land while the rest of the group is getting hammered. My gear still sucks ass (is there any loot in this game at all?), and I pretty much can't do anything. I'm in Caed Nua, getting prison raped. If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I wish they hadn't gone all GRIMDARK just because it's trendy since GOT came out
It's no more grimdark than PS:T was 16 years ago, and that was well before GRRM achieved mainstream popularity. Avellone might be guilty of recycling his own material now and then, but I don't think it's fair to attribute it to another author entirely.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So, I think I'm kind of stuck. I've cleared everything from Cilant Lis to Anslog's/Madhmr Bridge except Raedri'c Hold.

I'm getting raped by the pull of ~10 guards inside the drawbridge, though, even with splitting a few off. I'm missing something maybe?

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
How could nobody in their QA notice the double click bug,
1. Obsidian

2. My brother, who use to work with Sony's QA knows the guy who was hired as Lead QA for this project. His response has been "lol that guy wasn't very good at his job when he worked as Sony".

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
I must be doing something wrong then. Cause I'm getting my ass kicked continuously; to the point I'm almost ready to rage quit. No matter how I try to position my group, they go after my mage first every. Single. God damn. Mother fucking. Time. He dies in two hits before he can even cast. Then, someone else is off in la la land while the rest of the group is getting hammered. My gear still sucks ass (is there any loot in this game at all?), and I pretty much can't do anything. I'm in Caed Nua, getting prison raped. If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it.
2 things saving my ass. Cipher CC and Priest CC. Mostly Cipher CC, i live by it.

Otherwise I would pull like an old MMO. Bow and run to a place where you have advantage, doorway or just align party right and make them come to u, CCing as they come. Sneak wizzy around for fire AE ( level 1 ) and you should do pretty well.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
So, I think I'm kind of stuck. I've cleared everything from Cilant Lis to Anslog's/Madhmr Bridge except Raedri'c Hold.

I'm getting raped by the pull of ~10 guards inside the drawbridge, though, even with splitting a few off. I'm missing something maybe?
You have the option to stealth through the castle, with very minimal fighting by
climbing the wall on the left side, sneaking into the temple area through the door on that path, wearing priest robes so the mobs don't attack you, getting a key from the undercover priest, taking a back route to the throne room, then going directly to raedric where you can fight him, or join his cause.

If you prefer go to mass homicide on the castle instead, the best advice I can give is use a fast character (monk, barb, chanter with speed song, etc) to split pull more efficiently, go in with heavy aoe and hope to blow it up fast, or do what I did, and build a super tank that does like 0 damage, but soaks hits like a champ (orlan fighter with 20 resolve and perception, hatchet, large shield, improved defender mode, ring of deflection, shield style talent, superior deflection talent, and wear enchanted platemail for major DR. ends up with something like 130 deflection and 14-28 DR vs most damage types, basically every attack against him is either a graze reduced to 1-4 damage, or a miss.)

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
It's no more grimdark than PS:T was 16 years ago, and that was well before GRRM achieved mainstream popularity. Avellone might be guilty of recycling his own material now and then, but I don't think it's fair to attribute it to another author entirely.
Yeah maybe, but PS:T was dark because of the subject matter, and because of the New-Weird style Planescape setting, it wasn't just trees hung with rotten corpses and fantasy characters who say "fuck" a lot.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Hard part for me here is seeing the replay value. Dunno why they didn't put in evil companions like in BG. Feels like I'll just be playing the same game against if I decide to go for a Path of the Damned run.

khalid

Unelected Mod
My current party doesn't have a rogue, cipher, monk or enchanter. That will at least be my second playthrough.

Argarth

On the verandah
Just haven't been able to pull the trigger and buy it.

Finally admitted to self that I REALLY just wanted Obsidian to make Neverwinter Nights 3. Even sadder panda now, since that is never likely to happen... QQ

iannis

Musty Nester
It's worth buying now, IMHO.

I mean it's not 100% perfect, and maybe there are some complaints here and there. But you'll get your moneys worth.

Haven't been able to say that about many games in the past 5 years.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Is there any resources on the inner-mechanics of some of the talents. Some are quite obviously strong, but are there hidden strengths that aren't obvious? Paladin getting Deep Faith and Unbothered Faith or whatever basically gives you the ridiculous stat bonuses from Faith and Conviction no matter what you happen to be doing. But. I've only just bought a Rogue and Cipher to start using (My party is lvl 5-6 if that makes any difference). What is the best weapon type for ranged cipher for instance?

Rogue has been a godsend though since he actually does tons of reliable damage. Compared to my indestructible 2-hander wielding Paladin.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
So... wait for a few more patches?
If you're not starved for an rpg right now, you might as well wait. It's an average game, dragged down by bugs and odd choices on the devs part in terms of balancing and mechanics. By the time Obsidian has put out any actual patches, you can probably grab it in a steam sale.

Overall I just hope the absurd praise the game is getting on steam/metacritic isn't going to their heads and PoE2 can be what BG2 was for the original Baldurs Gate.