Pillars of Eternity, Obsidian's new CRPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Cipher: Best damage and second best CC in the game, limited only by the focus you build through continuous attack (spec a fast ranged weapon and this is a non issue).
Fast ranged weapons do bad dps overall, and damage dealt translates directly into focus generated. If you want focus the fastest a blunderbuss vs. all the the most heavy DR opponents wins by a mile, and for heavy DR either an arbalest or an arquebus works fine. Give similar weapons to your other ranged members along with gunner, let the chanter sing basically nothing but Sure-handed Ila, and the reload speed is a non-issue.

and my druid main is the best person in my party(bear form), which is made of all ingame characters + my main and can kill anything if I figure out the right strategy, it's almost like the game is different for each person cause the skills and party balance and strategy change the fights a lot.
Bear form unfortunately doesn't scale well as you level and gear is not counted at all while shifted, so it doesn't take long before your survivability actually decreases when you turn it on. Cat, wolf, and bear are all pretty bad. Stag and boar are the best because they get passive bonuses like +all defenses and endurance regen, respectively. Those bonuses also persist even if you shift back out of the form (bug?). So you can get a stag druid with +7 to all defenses that can stand in the back and use ranged with enchanted gear.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
I threw some heavy armor on my barbarian and jacked his athletics up and he survives just fine. Wielding a 2her he regularly hits harder then the rest of my party combined. Dude is amazing.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Anyone try a dual Stilleto cipher? bypassing dr and fast hits to build up focus quickly. I haven't been able to play too much, so his squishyness is what I am concerned about. I hear on and on about ranged cipher, blah blah blah. Was looking at another way to go.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
I would think the issue is when the melee mobs randomly turn away from your tank. It happens to my Barb all the time and happened with Durance for me until I gave him a gun. The mobs seem to know target priority well if you allow them to.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
I'm on hard using just the npcs and I'm not having any trouble. The ogre boss in Endless and the Fampyre guy were hard, but other than that it's pretty simple. I think Cipher turns most things easy though, because I can basically hit every mob on the screen for 100+ damage for free at the start of the fight, and now that the wizard has AE Confuse and I have two tanks(Eder and Pel) mowing things down with the back line is pretty easy. Only level 8 though.

One thing that kind of sucks is that I am waiting til I find a great weapon to pick my specialty, but I haven't fount a great 2her yet. I've got a fast staff that's okay, Justice from Raedric, this blizzard sword I bought from Crucible Keep that does on piercing damage, but none of them seem significantly better than the others. Meanwhile I've found three or four really disgusting 1h weapons and no good arbalests or shotguns.

I kind of wish I'd saved Cipher for PoTD and done my first run with a barb or something.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
@Vorph- What I meant to say was spec talents to increase RoF on whatever ranged weapon you are using. I happen to be using blunderbuss at present and with the talent boosts its insanely good... then you get the Cipher spells.

And yeah, Cipher pretty much breaks the game wide open. If it wasn't such a micromanagement fest, you could probably take a Paladin and 5 Ciphers and faceroll your way through the entire game on hard.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I wonder if they are going to try and do a class rebalance. If so, I hope they nerf ciphers because without them, the game is difficult but fun. With them, it sounds like it is turning people off because it is so faceroll. Glad I didn't start with one.

Vinen

God is dead
Have they fixed the level of aids this game shipped with? All my friends were bitching about critical data-loss bugs.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You'll want a pair of good 1H weapons for late in the game when weapons outpace unarmed damage by a significant margin. Even then you'll still want an empty weapon set though, because fists are always the best choice for interrupting.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
I'm on hard using just the npcs and I'm not having any trouble. The ogre boss in Endless and the Fampyre guy were hard, but other than that it's pretty simple. I think Cipher turns most things easy though, because I can basically hit every mob on the screen for 100+ damage for free at the start of the fight, and now that the wizard has AE Confuse and I have two tanks(Eder and Pel) mowing things down with the back line is pretty easy. Only level 8 though.

One thing that kind of sucks is that I am waiting til I find a great weapon to pick my specialty, but I haven't fount a great 2her yet. I've got a fast staff that's okay, Justice from Raedric, this blizzard sword I bought from Crucible Keep that does on piercing damage, but none of them seem significantly better than the others. Meanwhile I've found three or four really disgusting 1h weapons and no good arbalests or shotguns.

I kind of wish I'd saved Cipher for PoTD and done my first run with a barb or something.
The Blade of the Endless Path is the best two-hander I've found. It sounds like you already completed the dungeon so obtaining the weapon should be fairly straightforward.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
DR reducing weapons I agree, assuming you enchant some fast ones in the peasant focus group. Monks are pretty much the only fire and forget class in PoE.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
The Blade of the Endless Path is the best two-hander I've found. It sounds like you already completed the dungeon so obtaining the weapon should be fairly straightforward.
Nope, I got to level 8 with the fampyres and after I tried to talk to the lord he had a bunch of chat options but i didn't speak his language. Googled and decided to come back when i can talk to him.

Apparently I chose a faction in Defiance Bay on accident as well.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Question: I'm stuck in Caed Nua, and my party currently consists of me (fighter), Aloth (wizard), Eder (fighter), and Kana (chanter). I'm playing on hard mode and getting my ass kicked, to the point where I'm frustrated as fuck. Did I miss a cleric anywhere in the game? I feel like shit would be a lot better if there was actually some way of healing my characters during combat. Aloth gets waxed after casting one or two spells (no matter where I try and move him), Kana seems pretty worthless at this point and dies almost as quickly, leaving just me and Eder almost every fight. Even if we survive, I have to waste a camp after a fight or two to get everyone's stats back up. This party configuration seems to be hamstringing me, and I'm wondering if I'm missing something, like maybe I should've waited a little bit longer to be in this dungeon, or perhaps just buy a stock character or two before proceeding any further? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Well first, the dungeon below Caed Nua is 15 levels deep and you shouldn't run more than the very top of it and then stop until later.

As for healer, you get a priest in Magram's Fork.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
My experience so far has been that healing isn't that useful during combat. Focusing on killing the mobs faster, or CC'ing them to prevent the damage taken in the first place is more effective. My first party tried to use the priest healer, but I found if the fight was hard enough to need me to heal, he couldn't keep up with the incoming damage anyway.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Well first, the dungeon below Caed Nua is 15 levels deep and you shouldn't run more than the very top of it and then stop until later.

As for healer, you get a priest in Magram's Fork.
So should I instead go kill the Raegnar guy first?

khalid

Unelected Mod
So should I instead go kill the Raegnar guy first?
Yeah, or other quests. Definitely explore enough to get a fully party of 6. I am in act 3 and only bothered to get to like lvl 4 in the Endless paths. I only went back there to get that deep when I found myself too low in level to do some other places.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, or other quests. Definitely explore enough to get a fully party of 6. I am in act 3 and only bothered to get to like lvl 4 in the Endless paths. I only went back there to get that deep when I found myself too low in level to do some other places.
Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it!