Planet coaster

Caliane

Been all the rage on Reddit the last few days. And, honesty, I'm a bit tempted to bite.

It REALLY looks alot like Cities:Skylines to me. I do worry its a bit to much sandbox creation, and not enough management. (just like Skylines...) But did enjoy skylines anyway. so theres that.
Insane customization, terraforming, etc. Workshop for props, etc.

Parkitect is an indie Early access game as well. This one is more retro, and more or less a recreation of Roller Coaster Tycoon 1/2.

Roller coaster tycoon world from Atari itself is out, or around the corner as well. but everyone is saying that is shit.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I want this but promised myself I'd put some time into Transport Fever before getting into other sandboxes, lol.

DonBenno

Molten Core Raider
Bought this on steam, played for 10 minutes then requested refund. Now im feeling guilty for not giving it a proper try, the UI was really tiny and it was like 3AM and couldnt work out how to make things bigger. Will probably purchase again at a later date if more positive reviews come in.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Delly

Trakanon Raider
There is a sliding scale for the UI, but the UI does start extremely small.

DonBenno

Molten Core Raider
yeah i knew i'd be able to change it after i watched a few youtube videos, will almost definately re purchase at some stage. Struggling to find time for any games other than OW atm though.

Caliane

haha yeah. this is not a fast game.

I did get it as well, after posting. My rimworld colony died, and PoE patch was in the middle of the rollback, so I bit.
Early concerns seem to be correct.

VERY pretty game. Amazing customization on actually building parks, and coasters. Full on sandbox, like a EQ:Landmark etc. You have freeform building of buildings, etc. a huge list of walls, windows, doors, roofs, etc, and piece them all together. You can spend hours just building a single Kiosk.

The actual management and AI of guests, and overall difficultly is a bit underwhelming. If you are looking for a quick management sim, Planet coaster is not the one. Try parkitect I hear.

City:Skylines comparisons seem very apt. Lots of great workshop integration, for dling prefab buildings, props, music, etc to make use of. Way jmore about the sandbox of building.
No real rain/weather/disasters. (C:skylines new dlc is disasters.) Haven't tried challenge mode yet, but career mode definitely is a great addition, that skylines lacks.
Career mode sets you up with prestarted parks, with large flaws, or a given set of goals. And you are given limited range to reach the goals. Acts as a bit of tutorial as well, as the tools are limited as you start.

This game is definitely for builders, more then managers. I am enjoying it still.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Caliane is right that its a game for builders first and managers second.

That being said, there still is a lot of managing aspects. Price per ride, per building, entrance fees, marketing your park, getting/paying loans, researching new rides/buildings, training your staff(this includes vendors, entertainers, maintenance, janitors) plus their salary. Setting priorities for staff to focus on certain areas of the park more often. Managing guest and staff happiness. I'm sure there is more I'm missing. Is it all that challenging? Not really, but its not cruise control either.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
To add to what others have said the terrain morphing is amazing, you build a ride then easily build up the terrain around it in ways that is almost creepy looking, it literally grows and molds around your rides. I made a log flume ride but it looked pretty boring, so I raised the terrain around parts of it to make a cavern system, added some lights and rocks/shrubbery and boom awesome looking ride. Huge props for this technology as every other theme park game I made if you messed with the terrain afterwards it would break the rides.

I gave up making building after about an hour of trying to puzzle out how to make a bathroom with a castle theme that didn't look like shit. I think just went on steam workshop and grabbed a bunch of prefabs to reverse engineer and teach myself how to make this stuff.

Also I am finding that queue location is massively important, I like to space out my rides equally and have the queues have their own theme but I find myself out of cash when I do it that way. So I space the rides out equally but have all entrances facing the same direction and make the queues basically run right next to each other. This way when I make my pirates shooting redcoats encounter every queue will see it and appreciate it saving me lots of money and allowing me to charge more for each ride. Only about 4 hours played but I do feel it was worth the cash. The sarlacc pit mission was pretty cool, and gave me some great ideas for what all can be done with the props to keep the guests happy.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Hrmm I found some really fucking cool collections in the workshop for my spooky side of the park under horror searches. Kinda feel like cheating though.

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
Really thinking about getting this. I've been trying to find something that my wife can play to replace her Candy Crush addiction. It's bad.

DaliLhama

Golden Squire
Man the customization and types of parks/rides you can make is just awesome, truly is amazing. I mean the things you can create are truly amazing. Man some creative shit you can make in this.....you can actually mold the terrain to where you can make a ride go underground and then have side areas in this underground network that have scenery with triggered effects and the like. Just need a great imagination and time and you can make some really fantastic things with what is given. Great successor to RCT and not that abortion that calls itself RCT World.

Caliane

Planet Coaster - Winter Update - Update notes

Free winter update. I was a bit worried with previous incredibly minor patches.

Haven't fully evaluated every note. But I see some of the public complaints.
All staff, ride prestige decay.
  • Sensibly colour the Open/Test/Close and profit/loss columns, making it easier to see what is happening at a glance.
I hope that means color blind mode. Im not, but it offends me how few games address this.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If anyone gets this, do yourself a favor and actually ride the cars in the sarlac pit park. 90% of it is underground so from the surface it doesn't look anything special but it's an amazing ride and really gives a great taste for the kind of things you can make

• 1Like

DaliLhama

Golden Squire
Great patch and yea that ride is amazing with the hentai tentacles. I just burn hours making my awesome amusement park and dont regret buying this at all. Hope this gets a Soaked type expansion as that was great expansion. Game is fun no doubt.

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
I'm reading a lot of reports of Steam users not being able to launch the game successfully (and I'm one of them).
Sucks since it looked pretty decent.

spronk

FPS noob
this is the most insane thing ever, moonraker the movie scenes recreated as roller coaster rides

• 2Like